Recommitted Logan McDonald [OOC 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I assume the Swans will give him a max extension soon (especially after Buddy retires in a few months too) but I always wonder if a cashed up WA club (named West Coast) is not secretly building a war chest that would blow the Swans (or any other club's) offer out of the water.

Having said, would be very surprised if he left the Swans but he is going to get some insane offers

I don't think Freo will probably put their hand up, Amiss is a future Coleman Medalist, and I think Treacy could easily play the Scott Lucas's to Amiss' Matty Lloyd in time)

Plus they still need to recommit long term to some of their midfield guns.

You can pack this thread up.

As you said, Freo don't necessarily need him and have just Tim Kelly'd themselves anyway. WC are in such a bad way there would be zero attraction.

The price either club would have to pay would be frightening too.

I assume the Swans will give him a max extension soon (especially after Buddy retires in a few months too) but I always wonder if a cashed up WA club (named West Coast) is not secretly building a war chest that would blow the Swans (or any other club's) offer out of the water.

Having said, would be very surprised if he left the Swans but he is going to get some insane offers

I don't think Freo will probably put their hand up, Amiss is a future Coleman Medalist, and I think Treacy could easily play the Scott Lucas's to Amiss' Matty Lloyd in time)

Plus they still need to recommit long term to some of their midfield guns.
From all reports West Coast don't have a war chest so much as a cap squeeze. Might be an option in a few years time though, perhaps if Sydney win a premiership or he gets to free agency.

Any chance Mcdonald could be part of a possible Barrass trade? How much of a required player is he to the Swans? Obviously I would rather not lose Barrass but if he was to go surely Mcdonalds name comes up?
He would fill a need for the Eagles, so maybe the Swans first pick wouldnt need to come into it

Any chance Mcdonald could be part of a possible Barrass trade? How much of a required player is he to the Swans? Obviously I would rather not lose Barrass but if he was to go surely Mcdonalds name comes up?
He would fill a need for the Eagles, so maybe the Swans first pick wouldnt need to come into it
No, but West Coast's first would.

Swans want a premiership and weakening our forward line is not going to get us closer to that goal.

From all reports West Coast don't have a war chest so much as a cap squeeze. Might be an option in a few years time though, perhaps if Sydney win a premiership or he gets to free agency.
There's no cap squeeze at WCE and at the end of 2025, only Kelly will be on a big contract. They'll have money to burn, unless a few of the kids come on massively in that time, which rarely happens.

I'm sure WCE will be chasing FAs next year and in 2025, simply to use up the cap while the kids come on.

givern mcgovern another contract, that tells me they're spreading his millions out a bit for something, Yeo and nic nat both out of contract next year, shuey on a year-by-year

kelly in 2026; darling, allen and sheed in 2025.

if they want him they can afford him imo, just got to see if they can spend the draft capital. they'd be crazy too though i reckon, use the picks at the draft, get him through to free agency then strike with him to play with a few more years worth of developed top picks.

givern mcgovern another contract, that tells me they're spreading his millions out a bit for something, Yeo and nic nat both out of contract next year, shuey on a year-by-year

kelly in 2026; darling, allen and sheed in 2025.

if they want him they can afford him imo, just got to see if they can spend the draft capital. they'd be crazy too though i reckon, use the picks at the draft, get him through to free agency then strike with him to play with a few more years worth of developed top picks.
Nic nat's reportedly only on $250k, which was done due to cuts he took during Covid. Can't imagine McGovern being on megabucks from next year. Yeo, Kelly and Gaff the only 3 on big contracts currently, that carry over the next few years.

There'll be plenty of cash to go around at the end of 2025.

Probably in the minority but I'd be prioritising his long term signature even if it meant losing Warner to the West eventually.

Nic nat's reportedly only on $250k, which was done due to cuts he took during Covid. Can't imagine McGovern being on megabucks from next year. Yeo, Kelly and Gaff the only 3 on big contracts currently, that carry over the next few years.

There'll be plenty of cash to go around at the end of 2025.
yeah, that's what i was saying, all the old contracts are over/almost over.

Probably in the minority but I'd be prioritising his long term signature even if it meant losing Warner to the West eventually.

Think most Swans fans would agree with you, btw I think Warner is very happy up at Sydney, they drafted his brother and iirc his folks have moved there too, so I don't think there is any risk of them losing him at all (would desperately love him at Carlton though, he is the type of goal kicking midfield machine we need)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonald is worth a lot more than Barrass in a trade.

McDonald would be worth every bit of what the likes of Luke Jackson and JHF were traded for last year. You'd have to throw a first rounder on top of Barrass to even get Sydney to the negotiating table.

Lol if west coast want logan , we will start at pick 1 and move up from there

If West Coast knew for certain that McDonald would sign an extension with them, i think they would have to strongly consider that.

I don't think the Swans would do it though, esp with Buddy only 7 or so games left until the end of his legendary career.

West Coast aren't in it for a quick fix, they know its not going to turn around in 1 year but 3 maybe. West Coast will recruit from the draft and maybe pickup one or 2 ex-pats wanting to come home for cheap but they will never throw out the baby with the bath water after the Kelly fiasco. McDonald is good but not great, Naughton is good but not great and Georgiades is ok not good. Maybe send Darling to Freo for a packet of twisties but.

West Coast aren't in it for a quick fix, they know its not going to turn around in 1 year but 3 maybe. West Coast will recruit from the draft and maybe pickup one or 2 ex-pats wanting to come home for cheap but they will never throw out the baby with the bath water after the Kelly fiasco. McDonald is good but not great, Naughton is good but not great and Georgiades is ok not good. Maybe send Darling to Freo for a packet of twisties but.

Also, WCE already have a very good young key forward who gets starved of the ball. Makes no sense to invest more into another young KFP who can sit in F50 and hope the ball comes down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back