Recommitted Logan McDonald [OOC 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Your leaving out one thing, those players you mentioned took the number 1 key defender most weeks. I'm not saying McDonald is no good, I just think he's being overrated. I don't think clubs would offer up enough for you to even entertain giving him up. Yes some key forwards take awhile to develop but time has shown you can strike gold with later picks. I would rather take a punt on someone that would come cheaper, just my opinion
McDonald on average has played significantly better when Franklin has been out of the team and he has been taking the #1 key defender. If you're taking the #1 key defender that also means you're the #1 forward target.

He’s not that amazing I don’t think. I think he’s good, not great.
I don’t think he will ever win an AA for example.
I would have him tracking somewhere along the lines of Todd Marshall or Eric Hipwood. A good solid 200 game AFL player.

All of the following young key forwards would be taken ahead of Logan McDonald in an hypothetical open draft tomorrow morning.

Jamarra Ugle Hagan
Jye Amiss
Ben King
Max King
Mitch Owens
Jack Lukosius

Then there is forward rucks like Jackson and Thilthorpe that also probably get selected ahead of him.
I reckon he’s worth about pick 12 right now.

I would have him tracking somewhere along the lines of Todd Marshall or Eric Hipwood. A good solid 200 game AFL player.

All of the following young key forwards would be taken ahead of Logan McDonald in an hypothetical open draft tomorrow morning.

Jamarra Ugle Hagan
Jye Amiss
Ben King
Max King
Mitch Owens
Jack Lukosius

Then there is forward rucks like Jackson and Thilthorpe that also probably get selected ahead of him.

WTF ?

Mitch Owens and Jack Lukosius are not Key Fowards.

Jamarra Ugle Hagan
Jye Amiss
Ben King
Max King
Mitch Owens
Jack Lukosius

Regardless of who's ahead of him, getting a good 21 year old KPF who's going to be at least very handy and out of contract I'd pay a top 10 pick comfortably as it stands. Next year will be the one that really establishes his value / potential though.

Very happy for opposition supports to not be interested in McDonald. He's highly regarded by Swans coaches, staff, players and fans.

As others have pointed out, key position players take longer to develop but in saying that McDonald is developing very nicely.

Your leaving out one thing, those players you mentioned took the number 1 key defender most weeks. I'm not saying McDonald is no good, I just think he's being overrated. I don't think clubs would offer up enough for you to even entertain giving him up. Yes some key forwards take awhile to develop but time has shown you can strike gold with later picks. I would rather take a punt on someone that would come cheaper, just my opinion
McDonald's stats are much better when he was the number 1 forward compared to when Buddy was in the team. Not sure what you're argument is.....

WTF ?

Mitch Owens and Jack Lukosius are not Key Fowards.
Lukosius has kicked 37 goals this year as a tall forward. If he’s not, then what exactly is he?
A midfielder?
A small forward?

Owens - yeah he’s a bit of a hybrid type but has played a role as a key forward at times this year.

Anyway my point still stands. I think Logan is a good player. Not a great player.
Would you take him ahead of any of the guys I listed above?

Unless he signs a contract extension going into next season, I honestly reckon Freo are building a stockpile of picks and cap space that could lure L-Mac home

They have their own, Port's and Collingwood's first round picks.

Pick 10, 14 and 18 is not going to get it done.

In saying that though I very much hope McDonald re-signs with us.

Absolutely that would get it done if he did wanna come home. Way overs haha

It may not get it done as is, but it puts them in a great position to trade up. Dogs got Pick 4 out of 10, 17 and F1 thanks to the Suns academy kids - if anything similar happens next year with academies/father sons, it could put Freo in a position where they could be offering a top 5 pick plus a future 1st which surely gets it done if McDonald hasn’t signed on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do have to wonder at L-Mac's future when the Swans have (reportedly) made a massive offer to first Naughton and now Jamarra Ugle-Hagan ?

If I was a better man, I would say McDonald will re-sign at the Swans, but if he hasn't by the time next season starts, I think there would be genuine alarm bells from a Sydney perspective.

I do have to wonder at L-Mac's future when the Swans have (reportedly) made a massive offer to first Naughton and now Jamarra Ugle-Hagan ?

If I was a better man, I would say McDonald will re-sign at the Swans, but if he hasn't by the time next season starts, I think there would be genuine alarm bells from a Sydney perspective.

Indeed our offer to Naughton could be a indication we are perhaps not that confident of retaining him? who knows really.

Eventually we will pry someone if he does go and have at least a top 10 pick for him.

So a few junky picks are worth McDonald?

Don't forget with Academy picks those selections basically become early second rounders. McDonald is worth 2 top 10 picks, or a top 5 pick and a pick in the early teens.
When was the last time someone went for 3 first rounders?

It may not get it done as is, but it puts them in a great position to trade up. Dogs got Pick 4 out of 10, 17 and F1 thanks to the Suns academy kids - if anything similar happens next year with academies/father sons, it could put Freo in a position where they could be offering a top 5 pick plus a future 1st which surely gets it done if McDonald hasn’t signed on
Yeah, clubs get deals done without having access to 4 first rounds picks or no big name trades would ever get done. If it happened, We should easily be able to trade for him while keeping a good draft hand still

More than that. Key Forwards don't grow on trees and McDonald is progressing nicely for his age.

I think part of the intrigue and speculation stems from the fact North Melbourne passed on him in the draft due to him considered a flight-risk (go home factor)

Freo are definitely monitoring his situation with great interest

I think part of the intrigue and speculation stems from the fact North Melbourne passed on him in the draft due to him considered a flight-risk (go home factor)

Freo are definitely monitoring his situation with great interest

Fx-VZRYWwAERnIE.jpg

Yeah, clubs get deals done without having access to 4 first rounds picks or no big name trades would ever get done. If it happened, We should easily be able to trade for him while keeping a good draft hand still

I think McDonald is one of those rare prodigy KPF prospects worth selling the farm for myself, he caned us a couple of years ago at Docklands against Weitering (despite Carlton winning the game)

Freo should go all in for McDonald, a fpward line pinch of L-Mac and Amiss would easily set you up over the next decade esp with your midfield.

I think McDonald is one of those rare prodigy KPF prospects worth selling the farm for myself, he caned us a couple of years ago at Docklands against Weitering (despite Carlton winning the game)

Freo should go all in for McDonald, a fpward line pinch of L-Mac and Amiss would easily set you up over the next decade esp with your midfield.
I'm not as big on him personally (not enough points of difference IMO) and I'd rather the capital spent elsewhere but it would definitely be the most talented forwardline we've ever had

Remove this Banner Ad

Back