Speculation Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm actually curious, what are people looking at / expecting here? He's a 21 year old key forward who has put up similar stats to other quality forwards at the same age and has improved year on year.

I mean, I don't even expect him to have a massive breakout year this year. He'll be taking the first key defender every week, which will take some adjustment, and will be working in a new system where he's the prime focus week-in, week-out, not just playing a surprise cameo when Franklin is out.

What I'd LIKE is that he gets above 40 goals a season (an extra goal every three games or so), keeps his assists steady, a few more marks, and has fewer periods of fading out in the game. This would keep him steady (or take him past) what Larkey, Curnow, McKay and Allen were doing at 22. What I think is more likely is that most stats stay the same, possibly a slight regression due to the reasons above.

So, again, what are people looking at that has them writing him off?
As others have said, you look beyond stats and watch him play and his size, speed, leap, aggression and x factor do not jump off the screen at you. He's young and a KPF which notoriously take time. The guys you have quoted (Larked, McKay, Allen Curnow ect) showed you glimpses, even at this age and regardless of stats, that they had a bright future. I'm not sure McDonald has. If I was a betting man I'd say he will be a good AFL player but not a star. Somewhere around the Jess Hogan, Jeremy Finlayson mark.

Last edited:
For me, he is in the Josh Schache/Tom Boyd/Sam Weideman category. Just not good enough, doesn't have a hard, aggressive edge to his game.

He can spud it up the rest of the season for all I care, anyone who's kicking the Pies in the teeth deserves a million a year. A lot of joe the gooses though, not really what you measure a KPF on.

Because he scored 3 goals from the goalsquare after Collingwood turnovers?
You know all of Schache, Boyd and Weideman have had 3-4 goal games before.

You bumped the thread because he made two silly mistakes in the first quarter. Don’t be shocked when someone makes an equally reactionary post that shows you up as a dill.

You bumped the thread because he made two silly mistakes in the first quarter. Don’t be shocked when someone makes an equally reactionary post that shows you up as a dill.
So you admit you're being reactionary. Good to know champ.

By the way, it's not just his first quarter. He's too soft and doesn't have what it takes to be a top tier key-forward. I know you're desperate for validation going for the gotcha moment, but you've fallen flat. Better luck next time champ.

Because he scored 3 goals from the goalsquare after Collingwood turnovers?
You know all of Schache, Boyd and Weideman have had 3-4 goal games before.
I mean, for two of them he'd been up at the contest and worked his way back to the square, another was a contested mark and another was a snap from a ground ball. Pretty rounded set of goals there.

I mean, for two of them he'd been up at the contest and worked his way back to the square, another was a contested mark and another was a snap from a ground ball. Pretty rounded set of goals there.
I'll give you the one from the mark only.

The other three were extremely basic finishes under no pressure. Nothing to write home about.

Why would mcdonald go to any of the wa teams? WC is 5 years away from being competitive, Freo is very unlikely going to be competitive for a flag. Sydney on the other hand is looking good. They are always hovering around the 4th, 5th position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...Brus that's not the only measure of a key forward.
No sh*t? What are you trying to dig your heels here for?
McDonald has never once looked like a top quality key-forward. Kicking 4 goals tonight is no different to Schache kicking 4 goals at the same stage of his career.
At the end of the day, the hard-edge big-marking key forwards are always going to be more valuable than the flaky types like Logan McDonald. No club is going to take McDonald over the King brothers, Ugle-Hagan or even Jye Amiss who was drafted a year later.

So you admit you're being reactionary. Good to know champ.

By the way, it's not just his first quarter. He's too soft and doesn't have what it takes to be a top tier key-forward. I know you're desperate for validation going for the gotcha moment, but you've fallen flat. Better luck next time champ.
Doubled down on the Champ. You mean business.

🏅🏅

Doubled down on the Champ. You mean business.

🏅🏅

Champ Champ

conor mcgregor episode GIF

No sh*t? What are you trying to dig your heels here for?
I'm not the one trying to pick holes in a 21 KPF kicking 4 goals in a game, man.

8 Marks, 5 inside 50, 4 Goals, 11 score involvements. Maybe he should have put in some short steps on his leads to let an opposition player inside a metre for the contested stat.

Last edited:
His lack of aggression on the field is mirrored in his quiet, uncomfortable interview.
Not saying it’s going to stop him being a good forward, but might limit him from being a great forward.

The high end for KPFS is almost always an aggressive player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back