Discussion Logo Discussion Thread

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Here are a few ideas that I have for a historical Fitzroy Gorillas logo.
7NPlYa3.jpg
I love the concept. I’m with top right and top left.
A gorilla, holding a ball somehow would be cool. Maybe like jack dyer in the footy show logo

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
PA logo b world recolour upload.png
port melbourne logo upload.png

A few logos that I would like some feedback on please. Admittedly the Port Adelaide logo is a recolour/slight modification of the new Battery World logo but I think it works really well. The Port Melbourne one I made up for the What if comp and was really happy with it.

Edit: the pen tool is the greatest tool in PS and probably AI. If you havnt learnt how to use it I recommend you do it ASAP!! I never really bothered with it but since Ive gotten back into designing in the last 6 months or so Ive learnt how to use it and it has been awesome!

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
View attachment 502620 View attachment 502622
A few logos that I would like some feedback on please. Admittedly the Port Adelaide logo is a recolour/slight modification of the new Battery World logo but I think it works really well. The Port Melbourne one I made up for the What if comp and was really happy with it.

Edit: the pen tool is the greatest tool in PS and probably AI. If you havnt learnt how to use it I recommend you do it ASAP!! I never really bothered with it but since Ive gotten back into designing in the last 6 months or so Ive learnt how to use it and it has been awesome!
Grr, I was meant to reply to this when I saw it Saturday!

For the Port Adelaide logo, I feel like the first one is the stronger of the two, as the PA monogram fills the empty space. Improvements (from a kid whose logos are substandard)? I'd say the outer roundel needs to be a bit bigger to have the text a bit more prominent and for it to curl around more.

The second logo has a good shield, but I'm not a fan of the pale red on the lighthouse(?). Not sure what you can do there, but text-wise I feel like it needs to be positioned above the lighthouse, to give the lighthouse prominence. I'd also say make it extend to the bottom of the shield, so the 1874 can be in white (to change things up) and perhaps even colour the top half of the shield blue to have all text in white? Some red detailing inside the shield under the blue section would be cool too, to fill it out.

Hope this gave you a few more ideas!

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks Andonis1997. Yeh I thought the same about the PA in the logo.
The red on the lighthouse was to try and emulate the red and blue stripes for Port Melbourne but it didnt work with the text hence the pale shade of red.
Ill try your tips hopefully tomorrow (bloody TAFE homework interrupting my designing :rolleyes:) and Ill post up the results! :)

As for the zig zag background see the following
I've already done this... see the following.
2ugor2c.jpg

This crest/logo has multiple elements to it.

Port_logo.gif

Firstly, it's circular shape comes from the old Magpie logo we've been wearing since the 1970's and has been our logo for even longer before that.

oldlogo_zps063c8689.jpg

The flags come from this logo from 1910 I think.

The design in the inner circle is from Black Diamond Corner, which is uniquely Port Adelaide. The gold, of course, represents our winning culture and dominance dating back to 1870.

There are many other logos and crests that we've had, but none that were actually used in an official capacity, and it would have been odd to use them as inspiration.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Thanks Andonis1997. Yeh I thought the same about the PA in the logo.
The red on the lighthouse was to try and emulate the red and blue stripes for Port Melbourne but it didnt work with the text hence the pale shade of red.
Ill try your tips hopefully tomorrow (bloody TAFE homework interrupting my designing :rolleyes:) and Ill post up the results! :)

As for the zig zag background see the following
I did get the stripes reference, but it was just a little off! And yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can come up with :)

And ahh, thank you! Gives me an idea... ;)

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
View attachment 504286
View attachment 504288
View attachment 504287
What do you think Andonis1997?
I had a banner/ribbon on my original Port Melbourne logo and was going to make it 100 year aniversary logo but decided against it in the end. Ive changed the font on the PA logo as well. I think it gives it a bit more of a modern feel personally.
Wow, I'm so sorry again!
That's definitely a better layout for the PA roundel's text. Looks more balanced.
I feel like #3 is the best out of the Boroughs logos, though #1 is a close second :)

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow, I'm so sorry again!
That's definitely a better layout for the PA roundel's text. Looks more balanced.
I feel like #3 is the best out of the Boroughs logos, though #1 is a close second :)
Thanks. I think the Port logo is way better than the first one I posted. I had to learn a new way to curve the text in PS as well so thats a bonus. Its a bit more fiddly but the finshed result looks way better.
It would've been either 3 or 1 for the Boroughs logo for me as well.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Thanks. I think the Port logo is way better than the first one I posted. I had to learn a new way to curve the text in PS as well so thats a bonus. Its a bit more fiddly but the finshed result looks way better.
It would've been either 3 or 1 for the Boroughs logo for me as well.
Yeah it's a bit tedious to get it perfect, you have to keep adjusting the font size and then shrink the curve of the text, haha.

Yep, good! The two-tone shield outline just (for lack of a better term) balances the colours out. Because they equally use both colours :)

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Seeing this logo from '90's dance act Utah Saints weeks ago, I couldn't help but notice something familiar about it.

US_logo_main.jpg

593ba3e218f2b_Sherrinlogo.png.2e310b59e79c1b6acd8b2a235cdba292.png
I think you're scraping the bottom of the barrel here.. There's not a lot similar here.

Back