Food, Drink & Dining Out Lollies for kids... should I not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't agree more shell, soft drinks are just s**t. My children are adults now but the 3 grandchildren have lollies/takeaways semi regularly (say once every week or so). They very rarely get soft drink though.

I have my grandchildren for sleepovers often and the treat I give them that they love is a fruit platter eg. Mango, Strawberries, Blueberries, Banana, Pineapple, Watermelon etc. My 30 something year old children say they remember fondly the fruit platters we used to give them as kids.

On the OP, I wouldn't be taking lollies for the children unless you checked with the parents first.

Forget soft drinks, i had my first beer when i was 7 :D

(it was 40 degrees, and the water was dodgy, so mum gave us beer haha)

Forget soft drinks, i had my first beer when i was 7 :D

(it was 40 degrees, and the water was dodgy, so mum gave us beer haha)
LOL brilliant, I have a photo of me sipping on a tallie given to me by my uncle when I was around 3 years old, we were living in Cairns at the time.

How is food different?

We are a nation of fat kents but an apple is still an apple. If people are eating McDonald's 5 times a week instead of cooking that is no reflection of what foods are on offer.
Not just food...also diet

The focus was on fat..oils in foods.. being unhealthy.
Not sugar. Sugar was seen as okay to consume and sugars are still hidden in nearly all packaged supermarket foods.

Binkas lollies which later became natural confectionary company branded was built on the back of claiming all natural ingredients.
While true, the lollies are around 50% refined sugar

Its only in the last 5 years or so the dangers of sugar have become widely known and people are moving away from sugar.
Companies such as coca cola are buying up kombucha and coconut water companies as consumers turn away from sugar products.

Going to a cafe now, salads, vegan, gluten free are all popular options

The numbers are too high to blame on laziness and lack of self-control. Parents and society can't do much against many millions of marketing and advertising dollars each year.

Yeah, it’s not all laziness.

I was a 90s kid and both parents working full time was very much the exception. Not now. Our mums cooked us nutritious dinners every single night and sent us to school with a fully packed lunch.

That’s seriously not easy and takes genuine time. Not really possible when you saddle every family with a $600,000 mortgage.

Yeah, it’s not all laziness.

I was a 90s kid and both parents working full time was very much the exception. Not now. Our mums cooked us nutritious dinners every single night and sent us to school with a fully packed lunch.

That’s seriously not easy and takes genuine time. Not really possible when you saddle every family with a $600,000 mortgage.
and long and unusual hours of work

Kids are getting bombarded with junk on pretty much a daily basis. Not even safe at school, teachers seem to give out lollies all the time, kids bring in cakes and even lolly bags when it's their birthday. And grandparents of today seem to have forgotten all their parenting skills because they just dump as much sugar into kids as they can.

Can't remember my grandparents ever giving me anything beyond a milk arrowroot biscuit.

Baby boomer grand parenting 101.

Fill them full of crap plonk them in front of a TV or iPad and send them back an emotional mess.

Grew up in the 60s-70s, the only takeaway food I can remember is fish and chips or burgers. IIRC the first fast food I remember eating occasionally is KFC. Eating out at restaurants was not a big thing back then, now there are so many options to eat out, got me beat how they all make a decent living.

I've recently gone through my class photos from those years and there were literally no fat kids, lots of scrawny looking runts though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My brother was visiting a friend of his, brought a Milka block for their 5 year old. Kid was stoked at the prospect of luxury chocolate, mother gave a 'oh we don't let him have that' and stowed it away in the pantry. Why are people so rude when it comes to their children. I am also annoyed that there is a delicious block of Milka rotting away in the pantry of some ungrateful harpy.

My brother was visiting a friend of his, brought a Milka block for their 5 year old. Kid was stoked at the prospect of luxury chocolate, mother gave a 'oh we don't let him have that' and stowed it away in the pantry. Why are people so rude when it comes to their children. I am also annoyed that there is a delicious block of Milka rotting away in the pantry of some ungrateful harpy.
If more people kept standards like that for their kids in general we might have less obese and depressed teens.

If more people kept standards like that for their kids in general we might have less obese and depressed teens.

People don't get obese or depressed from occasional treats.

Folks need to teach their kids about food rather than just banning anything they deem 'bad'. It's actually lazy. Controlling their diet is easy when they're a kid, as soon as they get a modicum of independence they'll be behind the counter at Maccas with their mouth under the ice-cream nozzle

People don't get obese or depressed from occasional treats.

Folks need to teach their kids about food rather than just banning anything they deem 'bad'. It's actually lazy. Controlling their diet is easy when they're a kid, as soon as they get a modicum of independence they'll be behind the counter at Maccas with their mouth under the ice-cream nozzle
Yeah, but it gets shoved in kids faces all the time. Every party, every visit to a friend's house, after a sports match, visiting Nanna etc etc. I like it when parents take a stand.
Same as limiting kids screen time/type, which was the depression link.
Life balance is way out if whack in the modern and youth physical and mental health is pretty s**t in this country.

I used to always have lollies as rewards for my students but we're not allowed to do it anymore so I give out stationery as rewards instead.

A pediatric dietician I follow believes that banning lollies etc completely leads to kids sneaking food and overindulging. She recommends serving them alongside a meal every now and then and not making a big deal about them whatsoever.

I've always just gone with everything in moderation. My mum taught me whats good and whats not. I learned early whats a treat and whats not. Not that bloody hard. Part of the issue is how inactive kids are now compared to even myself 10 years ago, let alone 10 years before that. I wasn't even necessarily that active, but I was a hell of a lot more mobile than most teenagers now. Whenever I see my almost seventeen sister in law she's glued to some device. Phone, tablet, internet on the game console etc. She never leaves the house. Problem is her useless parents don't do a thing. Drives me insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back