Long Road Ahead! Rebuild Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I predicted that we would lose and I was right. Martin went rampant. Rance shut down Kennedy. Fast paced footy killed us.

It is more evident that when Kennedy is not on song we lose. This is scary. Our mids dont kick enough goals and we are reliant on small fowards that are good in the air but sucks at crumbing ie: Cripps, Hill, Lecras (all 3 are not crumbing. Hill is the only forward that knows how to crumb allitle.)

But we are really at best 8th/7th on the ladder team. We are against the current meta/game style.

Every team has evolved to fast paced footy. We are still using the freaking web/flood. Fast paced footy uses fast paced movement + good kicks which destroys the web.

Note: First quarter is where fast paced footy is at its peak and notice how we tend to lose it.

We are stuck in a difficult spot. If we continue with simmo and the current crew we will always be mediocre 8th/7th/6th for the next 4 years. And Note: JK and Priddas and Mitchell will retire soon.

Honestly 2010 we won the spoon and the next few years we quickly bounced back.

My Prediction

1) Next 2017/2018/2019 years we will be mediocre
2) Then 2020/2021 we will will be bottom 4/8
3) 2022/2023/2024 we are ready

So for the next 5 years we wont be in contention. THATS IF ALL THINGS GO right. But would not be suprised if it takes us 8 years

Last edited:
So basically if we lose another game interstate by under 2 goals it's rebuild time? **** me dead some people are overreacting to a loss in round 3...
It's the way we lost... Not that we lost. Gameplan and skill. How can it be good that a long kick to defence exploits us

With NicNat back next year and with another year (or 2 if we're lucky) from Mitchell, I expect us to have a serious flag tilt in 2018-9

As for the *way* we lost- it was only by 11 points. We play poorly at the MCG too (and also play poorly in the wet ) AND were inaccurate

I expect us to Port at AO and GWS at spotless (and for people rate us again - like they did last year when we strung together some non-MCG away games ....)

With NicNat back next year and with another year (or 2 if we're lucky) from Mitchell, I expect us to have a serious flag tilt in 2018-9

As for the *way* we lost- it was only by 11 points. We play poorly at the MCG too (and also play poorly in the wet ) AND were inaccurate

I expect us to Port at AO and GWS at spotless (and for people rate us again - like they did last year when we strung together some non-MCG away games ....)

For the first highlighted statement we very much need the second statement to be addressed.
Given that we have been struggling with mastering the MCG for many years I cant se us being a serious contender..... best case close but no chocolates.

For the first highlighted statement we very much need the second statement to be addressed.
Depends who are opposition are too though
I rate our chances against a GWS or Adelaide , but not a Hawthorn

Given that we have been struggling with mastering the MCG for many years I cant se us being a serious contender..... best case close but no chocolates.
Our struggles at the MCG have predated this era (we even lost to the Pies , as we always do in ) in 2005-6 and didn't stop us winning in 2006 albeit against a fellow non-Vic team. Hope the top 4 ends up being mostly non-Vic teams .

We dont need to rebuild but we need adjustments.
Some issues need to address immediately as follows:
1. We are too slow to spread in ATTACK
2. We are too slow to close the gap in DEFENCE
3. Tackling is too little and too soft and we are playing touch football.
4. The words from Simpson about "We can‘t win every game" sent a wrong message to the players!!
5. Looks like we follow the wrong 2015/2016 North Melbourne ways!

I predicted that we would lose and I was right. Martin went rampant. Rance shut down Kennedy. Fast paced footy killed us.

It is more evident that when Kennedy is not on song we lose. This is scary. Our mids dont kick enough goals and we are reliant on small fowards that are good in the air but sucks at crumbing ie: Cripps, Hill, Lecras (all 3 are not crumbing. Hill is the only forward that knows how to crumb allitle.)

But we are really at best 8th/7th on the ladder team. We are against the current meta/game style.

Every team has evolved to fast paced footy. We are still using the freaking web/flood. Fast paced footy uses fast paced movement + good kicks which destroys the web.

Note: First quarter is where fast paced footy is at its peak and notice how we tend to lose it.

We are stuck in a difficult spot. If we continue with simmo and the current crew we will always be mediocre 8th/7th/6th for the next 4 years. And Note: JK and Priddas and Mitchell will retire soon.

Honestly 2010 we won the spoon and the next few years we quickly bounced back.

My Prediction

1) Next 2017/2018/2019 years we will be mediocre
2) Then 2020/2021 we will will be bottom 4/8
3) 2022/2023/2024 we are ready

So for the next 5 years we wont be in contention. THATS IF ALL THINGS GO right. But would not be suprised if it takes us 8 years
pretty much agree with all the faults you mentioned here.

I'm not going to put a line through this year as I feel it can still be fixed though with the right coaching.
The problem as you mentioned is not our midfield, its not our backs. The problem is a forwardline. Someone here said that we have a great forward line. For the first 3 weeks and I can see its the same as last year. We dont have a good forwarline. Its frecken horrible. We have Kennedy and everyone gets blinded about the rest.

Darling- cant play Key position tall, he cant mark contested, not quick, poor handball, going backwards.
Lecras- very slow, and poor tackler, poor defensive player when doesn't have the ball.
Cripps- not really a forward, doesn't kick enough goals, doesn't crumb, not that quick. just an average joe.
Hill- not quick, and poor tackler. although he is the best out of our three smalls, he does read the play well.

There is our problem right here.
All three games so far its gets in their and comes straight out, to be honest if you were a defender lining up on these guys you would be laughing.

we fixed this we will be ok for the rest of the year. Wille Rioli.

just need try something completely different and make the hard decisions. Cripps dropped to Wafl, Lecras dropped to Wafl.
Darling dropped to Wafl.

Switch Barrass forward. bring in Schofield to replace Barrass in backline. Watson in on back flank.
Sheed plays forward pocket- we dont have much to go with but cant be much worse then cripps, Move Sheppard to the other forward pocket.

forward line Sheed Kennedy Sheppard
Hill Barrass Jetta

give that a go and see what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pretty much agree with all the faults you mentioned here.

I'm not going to put a line through this year as I feel it can still be fixed though with the right coaching.
The problem as you mentioned is not our midfield, its not our backs. The problem is a forwardline. Someone here said that we have a great forward line. For the first 3 weeks and I can see its the same as last year. We dont have a good forwarline. Its frecken horrible. We have Kennedy and everyone gets blinded about the rest.

Darling- cant play Key position tall, he cant mark contested, not quick, poor handball, going backwards.
Lecras- very slow, and poor tackler, poor defensive player when doesn't have the ball.
Cripps- not really a forward, doesn't kick enough goals, doesn't crumb, not that quick. just an average joe.
Hill- not quick, and poor tackler. although he is the best out of our three smalls, he does read the play well.

There is our problem right here.
All three games so far its gets in their and comes straight out, to be honest if you were a defender lining up on these guys you would be laughing.

we fixed this we will be ok for the rest of the year. Wille Rioli.

just need try something completely different and make the hard decisions. Cripps dropped to Wafl, Lecras dropped to Wafl.
Darling dropped to Wafl.

Switch Barrass forward. bring in Schofield to replace Barrass in backline. Watson in on back flank.
Sheed plays forward pocket- we dont have much to go with but cant be much worse then cripps, Move Sheppard to the other forward pocket.

forward line Sheed Kennedy Sheppard
Hill Barrass Jetta

give that a go and see what happens.
Don't know if serious :huh:

You know all the posters on here saying it's an over reaction and the melts ect..

I don't know where you guys have been the last 3 years but this reaction is 100% justified as it's a problem we have had for years that continues to not be addressed. This club is headed for a bleak future ahead from problems with poor recruiting and coaching. Questions should rightly be asked. We are in for some very low years if it doesn't get addressed soon. We don't fix the problems right now, we are running out of time with retirements of Kennedy, Priddis, Mitchell, Hurn ect. We have basically no depth coming through.

Kennedy wins us games. Our full forward wins us games.

Our forwardline overall around him needs plenty of work.
Apart from Darling being a bit of a potato lately, the forward line is fine and multi dimensional.

Kennedy as we know is capable of the huge bag
LeCras is ever reliable
Cripps applies manic pressure and is still good for a goal or two a game
Hill is able to do some crazy stuff that sometimes ends up with a freakish goal

If we had a solid, strong centre half forward, we'd be laughing.

Apart from Darling being a bit of a potato lately, the forward line is fine and multi dimensional.

Kennedy as we know is capable of the huge bag
LeCras is ever reliable
Cripps applies manic pressure and is still good for a goal or two a game
Hill is able to do some crazy stuff that sometimes ends up with a freakish goal

If we had a solid, strong centre half forward, we'd be laughing.

I guess we are going to agree to disagree on our smalls. Lecras is inconsistent. Cripps is never there when the ball hits the ground for a quick goal as a crumber should be doing. I just don't think he is much more then an average footballer.

We need a quick paced small in there around Kennedy ready for the drop of the ball.

Was thinking the same ?

I'm serious and confused why you think it isn't a problem. Was pretty obvious what other sides are doing to us. They know apart from Kennedy the rest isnt much. Most sides know that when the ball hits the ground they can rebound easily. Bulldogs chopped us up last year. North rnd 1 did it and Saints really should of won by doing it. Richmond did the same tactic.

It's that is what's making us go to s**t.
Most predictable forwardline in the AFL.

Stop Kennedy and we have no other avenues to goal.

I'm serious and confused why you think it isn't a problem. Was pretty obvious what other sides are doing to us. They know apart from Kennedy the rest isnt much. Most sides know that when the ball hits the ground they can rebound easily. Bulldogs chopped us up last year. North rnd 1 did it and Saints really should of won by doing it. Richmond did the same tactic.

It's that is what's making us go to s**t.
Most predictable forwardline in the AFL.

Stop Kennedy and we have no other avenues to goal.
We are definitely Kennedy Focused, that I grant is true. Posted awhile ago that the games I saw last year, Kennedy having a couple of defenders breathing down his neck in the forward pocket and Jetta sitting 30 out dead in front with no one anywhere near him , the ball always goes to Kennedy. I think we have very good and dangerous forwards but out game plan/style of play is "Kick it to Josh" that appears to be it. I'm not sure about the coaching at the club to be honest. As we all know, the main problem is our midfield/ flankers. For mine, we are too soft. While its fine to have a few soft players with good skills, we have too many. How Gaff got to be AFL standard without a right foot amazes me. The biggest factor for me and why I knew we were no serious threat this year, and the look on Simmo's face confirmed that, was when our most important and dynamic midfielder went down at the end of last year !

The new stadium at Burswood will hopefully help in erasing any fears the players may have playing at the MCG ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back