Autopsy The Phoenix Thread - Where Do We Start? (Rebuild)

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a pretty harrowing list, isn’t it?

There is a lot of work ahead of the drafting and trading teams to fix this mess.

Is it?

I actually looked at it and thought its not a bad core to add to.

It isnt as though we are starting at zero. Forgot L Edwards and Rotham.

The mature players to help the transition for the kids include McGovern, Yeo, Sheed, Gaff, Nic, SPS and Witherden.

First stop has to be a new coach.

The messaging to all our younger players has been terrible from Simpson from day one.

The message has always been;

I don't trust you so I'm going to hide you on a hff.

A senior player is always more valuable than you, so you will be dropped for them irrespective of how you perform.

If the team performs badly, it's likely your fault and you will be dropped.

Now we've drafted a lot of slow, vanilla trash during Simmo's tenure but you can't rebuild with a guy who's approach is soul destroying acid to a young player's confidence and development.

How many players have we seen that look like they might make the grade when we first see them just stagnate and go backwards under him?

Who could be there to seriously contend in 4- 5 years time?

Ryan Williams Rioli
? Allan ?
Hough Kelly ?
Duggan Barrass ?
Foley Basso Cole

Ruck? Clark, Chesser

Bench ? ? ? ?

Young enough but good enough? Waterman, Winder,......

Thats what we have to build from.
We are looking at a 6-7 year rebuild unless we get some trade wins imo. Just don't have the talent on the list currently U23 to drive improvement over that period.

We are looking at a 6-7 year rebuild unless we get some trade wins imo. Just don't have the talent on the list currently U23 to drive improvement over that period.
What are you talking about? I'm watching Simmo's press conference and he's trying to infer we're playing a young and inexperienced side already!

Of course then there's reality
1651277502240.png

The rebuild started with a decent 2021 draft - some interesting prospects. Allen is part of the longer term rebuild. Obvious we need a young key defender (not called edwards with is WAFL trash) even though all want mid alone.

Injecting Allen, Chesser and pick 1 is a good start. Emphasis on a little more speed and constested ability when targeting players and we should be right.

Pick 1 is in massive threat if our interest in English is legit. Most likely way to get him is probably to try to use pick 1 to try and get a lower 1st round pick which would be the asking price for him. We'll probably end up with a lower 1st round pick to use ourselves.

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

We need to transition from a slow kick/mark team to a run and stun team, So down back we have Barrass and Mcgovern in good form. Gov is 30 Barrass 26. We need to find a replacement for Gov but have a year or two to do it and it looks as if Bazzo will fill the gap nicely.
HBFlankers are a dime a dozen but they need to have speed to run off the backline. Petrucelle and Jones are two players I'd like to try down back and even Yeo could be a stop gap for a year or two.

So our backline in the interim could look like this

Witherden - Barrass - Jones
Yeo - McGovern - Petrucelle

Hough to transition into Yeo's Flank.
Bazzo to replace the aging McGovern

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This trading English for pick 1 or a top 10 pick chatter is getting ******* tedious. Not even meme worthy. O'Brian is a bit of a numpty but he isn't ******* stupid. I'd be surprised if by trading window, that we let go any of our round 1 or round 2 picks. By then the club will have admitted that we are in full rebuild mode and unless we don't value anything past pick 25 I'd say we will be drafting at least 4 kids this year rather than trade for a mediocre ruck/decent forward.

I normally can see some kind of light but this is the lowest I have felt about the club since inception. The club appears to be a shambles in every department. I can only take solace in the old cliche, "nothing is as good or as bad as it seems" but damn, even that is a stretch.

I come in peace. I’ve always had a soft spot for eagles mainly due to them always getting the wood over pies when it matters. What position do you guys think you should draft this year?

We will have pick 1,19 and likely around 26. I dont see why we will need to use 1 on English whether its by splitting or directly. Surely there are other ways of getting him if we really wanted him.

The best 2 performances of the last 2 years were away wins v Carl last year and Coll this year.

Reason: Guys played who GAF.

Drop as many passengers as we can each week... put them on LTI list amd bring in a random kid or WAFL guy who us super desperate to play.

At worst we'll have 22 bulls at a gate. We wont win many games but geez we'll have a crack.

The best 2 performances of the last 2 years were away wins v Carl last year and Coll this year.

Reason: Guys played who GAF.

Drop as many passengers as we can each week... put them on LTI list amd bring in a random kid or WAFL guy who us super desperate to play.

At worst we'll have 22 bulls at a gate. We wont win many games but geez we'll have a crack.
All good and well but it does nothing for your future. You end up with a Ross Lyon team full of battlers. We need top end talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back