Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 239 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 15.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Time and time again they throw away their season by losing to teams they should easily beat. This is why they don’t make top 4.

Must be frustrating for Bulldogs fans.

Bevo is a dud. Lots of weird and different ways to do things that usually don't pay off. Rorting the terrible adjudication of the rules by instructing his team to duck, dive and throw at every opportunity was a master stroke in 2016 and for a few years beyond that but it was never sustainable. It's no surprise that the dogs are struggling now that there's an extra umpire around to snuff some of these things out.

Won a flag in 2016 that was widely acknowledged as premature success similar to Hawthorn 2008.
Since then they've been widely tipped to go onto great things and bring more silverware to Whitten Oval, yet they've been treading water in mid table mediocrity for the last seven years with 2021 being seen as the exception since they actually contended for the flag that year.

Bontempelli is a generational superstar who's peak is being wasted by incompetent coaching.
Everyone knows 9th is the worst place on the ladder so where do the Bulldogs go from here?

They beat you they'll be in the 8 on Saturday night wouldn't want to go tempting fate like you are

No smalls - lack a proper lockdown small defender and crumbing small forward.
Wings are 'passable' but recycled.

We're probably going to finish about where we deserve to on the ladder

Too many players living off stats and past performance.

This year I’d count Treloar (3 times today he got a handball receive and tried to give it half a meter to the next guy who promptly got smashed - sums up his attitude for a long time now), Smith & Dale (who peaked in 2021 and really hasn’t influenced games the same way since - gets a stack of it sometimes but not much hurt compared to that year) as guys living off that. Macrae too but he’s had a shocking role at times (as has Smith to be fair).

Smith is a horrid user of the ball when kicking to a lead.

So basically - yes Bevo has his issues but some of these senior players (not Smith who is still young) really need to pull their finger out. It’s been Bont, Libba, Jones, English who have stood up consistently; no one else can claim that. Dale, Daniel, Macrae, Treloar, Naughton, and lesser extent Keath is a huge whack of salary and really haven’t got it out of them this year.

I’ve been calling for this since the tail end of last year, if he stays another year, I can see us falling down to insignificance again. He’s consistently got no game plan . Played players out of position and has weird favourites who are nowhere near AFL level. Time to fall on your sword.

The whole club needs a clean out in the footy and coaching dept, and possibly the recruiting dept as well.

Bevo's time is up, but it's naive to assume just a coaching change will fix all of the Dogs on field issues (which have been evident for a few years now, despite making finals)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still rate their list. More than enough stars in every line but something deeper isn't working at the club.

From afar, without knowing the internal machinations of the club's culture, it looks like Bevo has all the attributes of a great senior coach. You'd imagine the players would love it, I find him a pretty honest, likable guy with a lot of passion.

But something isn't working....you'd think there would be a lot of soul searching at season's end. I'm not prepared to write them off just yet.

Generally I hesitate to blame the coach. In the Doggies case though, you look at that list and think “what’s going on?”. Should have had more top 4s last 7 years.

Now their best are creeping into the second half of their careers and probably not going to get better. Could be a smart thing to start trading while there is still good currency and try and a quick turnaround via draft.

Need a new coach.

I still rate their list. More than enough stars in every line but something deeper isn't working at the club.

From afar, without knowing the internal machinations of the club's culture, it looks like Bevo has all the attributes of a great senior coach. You'd imagine the players would love it, I find him a pretty honest, likable guy with a lot of passion.

But something isn't working....you'd think there would be a lot of soul searching at season's end. I'm not prepared to write them off just yet.
That's actually pretty measured. No place for that take around here. I agree with you though.

Generally I hesitate to blame the coach. In the Doggies case though, you look at that list and think “what’s going on?”. Should have had more top 4s last 7 years.

Now their best are creeping into the second half of their careers and probably not going to get better. Could be a smart thing to start trading while there is still good currency and try and a quick turnaround via draft.

Need a new coach.
They haven't finished top 4 since 2010 when Rodney Eade was their coach.
They finished 7th in 2016 and 5th in 2021.

List is great. I think they would benefit by moving away from Bevo. Obviously a Dogs legend and will go down in history, but the message and method will always get stale eventually.

They need to be proactive. Can't waste the primes of Bont, English, Naughton, Macrae, Libba.
Treloar, Dale, Daniel, Smith, Jamarra, Richards, Weightman are fantastic players when humming.

Shades of Ratten's Carlton vs Gold coast. Loss cost blues a chance at finals and signaled the end of his time there.
West Coast arguably a worse team who won in Melbourne.

Don't think they would sack him unless they miss the 8. But it really sucks the wind out of the sails.

Shades of Ratten's Carlton vs Gold coast. Loss cost blues a chance at finals and signaled the end of his time there.
West Coast arguably a worse team who won in Melbourne.

Don't think they would sack him unless they miss the 8. But it really sucks the wind out of the sails.

I think this is actually worse than that 2012 match.

Blues that season had overcome a bunch of injuries and made a late, desperate charge at finals but it took an awful amount of effort. We needed to make up roughly 200 points to catch North on percentage and had belted (10th placed) Essendon by 96 the week before, but there was an incredible amount of pressure on. GC had prime Ablett and jumped the start, and then it turned into a humid, sticky match. The pressure wasn't just to WIN - Carlton needed to absolutely belt them and even when we got back close again there was a sense of panic that it wasn't enough. In the end we threw absolutely everything at them but under pressure kicked 9.20 and ended up losing, but remember even a 20 point win was effectively a season ending loss...

Sacking Ratten was arguably the worst move the club has made; we needed stability and to back that crop of players in and going across to Malthouse almost ruined the club. We had made the top 8 for 3 straight seasons prior, and this year (12 years later) will be our first top 8 finish since.

For the Bulldogs - they have a really weird list profile right now. They're kind of stuck between the young stars from 2016 who are still in their prime (Bont, Libba, Macrae, Daniel) and a very young crew of father/son, academy and superdraft stars who aren't ready to take the reigns (JUH, Naughton, Smith, Darcy, West, Jones, Weightman all sit in here). Filling the gaps in between is a really odd crew of role-players: from past-it cricketers and vax-dodgers (Keath and Jones) to salary dumps (Treloar and Lobb) it's a strange mix. Beveridge is trying to play two speeds at once: trying to win now with peak Bont, while also trying to develop a really strong young core, and it isn't surprising that they have hit a few roadblocks.

I reckon if they stick the course with Bevo then they probably spend the next 4 years bouncing aroudn the middle, except for one random year where it all clikcs into place and they go close to the flag again, followed by back to the middle again.

But moving on and bringing in a new coach would be a whole big lottery... I don't like playing lottery games with a weird list - that seems a recipe for disaster.

Their GF still gets mentioned as a reason for him to stay, but that's quickly approaching a decade ago.

Footscray suffer from a classic case of Small Club Syndrome. One person gives them success and they quickly defy all logic trying to replicate it.

Back