Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 237 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 16.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think both can be valuable contributors to an AFL midfield. More than they are giving anyway.

Smith yes but sadly for the Dogs Macrae lacks the pace now. He’s been struggling this year and spending less time in the middle

No doubt Beveridge will take the fall, however it’s not his fault that the whole team has no heart. Apart from Bont, every one of them skip around the ground like they think they are gods gift to footy. Well and truly s**t the bed today.
Can you just imagine how much they'd suck with the Bont though?? He just carries them constantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone else find it odd and borderline inappropriate when Beveridge said that loved Bailey Smith at a recent press conference?

Need to be asking what has happened to the players since 2021? Most are still there, yet kicking skills has gotten worse and worse, that we have many players who rank high in the league for turn overs, and many low in the league for kicking efficiency. Why do players keep making dumb decisions, like trying to kick a ball to a team mate with three opponents hanging off them? Why does a simple handball routinely miss their man? Why the team has forgotten how to defend the field? Why the forward line has regressed this year, despite having more experience, and being more balanced than previous seasons? Why players don't play with that manic intensity that the best teams do? Why can't we stick a tackle? Why do we play one quarter of good footy, then revert to stagnant and boring football for the next three?

The problem isn't just Bevo though, the whole club has issues across the board.

They set Bevo up to fail by not surrounding him with a proper coaching team, whether it was the board or Bevo himself, who knows? But compare the Bulldogs recent line coaches under Bevo compared to the top four teams in the league now. Or the Cats. The Bulldogs look like a coaching apprentice school, where other teams have former head coaches, premiership players, players who were genuine guns with a smart footy brain across their lines. Demons got Choco into their head of development with decades in the system.

Someone has to answer to where our soft cap is being spent and why we have not put a proper coaching team around them? The players need genuine leaders and voices, not a bunch of school kids.

Recruiting has been so poor lately, that the teams depth has become very poor. Who makes the call to keep drafting substandard VFL players or trading for other teams fringe players? The point to improving the team, is to actually IMPROVE the team. Other teams fringe players are next to no odds of becoming better at a new team, why pile the list with them? Whoever has a poor eye for talent, please don't make any recruiting decisions ever again. We used to find VFL gems like Picken and Morris, or land serviceable players AT the time like Doc, Keath, Bruce before his knee. The last few trades or signings from other teams, have been stuck in our VFL team.

Plus the list management team has neglected the midfield for so long, that the Dogs do not have a genuine top tier inside MIDS to take over from Libba, or help Bont out. The midfield is full of slow players, who turn the ball over heaps and get pushed around physically. They neglected defense for so long until the past off-season, but now we have players either too old or too young to make a mark on the game yet.

The CEO and President seem to have no backbone. Stop recruiting former players into board roles, Grant needs to go, and into coaching roles. Get rid of all the inner matey boys club that goes on behind the scenes.

Most Bulldogs games have all had a common theme this season, following the same script. But the biggest one is that they almost ALWAYS come out after half time looking flat physically and mentally, and get run over in third quarters. And look slow in general. Might be good to move the head of fitness off as well?

And don't let the players escape criticism. They are the ones who are not working hard off the ball, they are the ones turning it over and making dumb decisions. They are clearly devoid of any self confidence in one another.

Blow the entire place up, start fresh. The club has been so stale for so long, that even my non Bulldog friends ask me, what exactly is the Bulldogs identity? Not even I can answer that.

But they need to do a proper review. We got promised one at the end of last season, and the only suggestion we got, was to bring in Lade as an assistant. Was a half assed review in my opinion. The team is overrated, but there is still plenty of players to work with if they can find the right coach, and build a proper support network around them. Not that confident though, always the risk of landing a even worse coach when you make a change.

I just don't have faith in the club and board to get it right.

Last edited:
Need to be asking what has happened to the players since 2021? Most are still there, yet kicking skills has gotten worse and worse, that we have many players who rank high in the league for turn overs, and many low in the league for kicking efficiency. Why do players keep making dumb decisions, like trying to kick a ball to a team mate with three opponents hanging off them? Why does a simple handball routinely miss their man? Why the team has forgotten how to defend the field? Why the forward line has regressed this year, despite having more experience, and being more balanced than previous seasons? Why players don't play with that manic intensity that the best teams do? Why can't we stick a tackle? Why do we play one quarter of good footy, then revert to stagnant and boring football for the next three?

The problem isn't just Bevo though, the whole club has issues across the board.

They set Bevo up to fail by not surrounding him with a proper coaching team, whether it was the board or Bevo himself, who knows? But compare the Bulldogs recent line coaches under Bevo compared to the top four teams in the league now. Or the Cats. The Bulldogs look like a coaching apprentice school, where other teams have former head coaches, premiership players, players who were genuine guns with a smart footy brain across their lines. Demons got Choco into their head of development with decades in the system.

Someone has to answer to where our soft cap is being spent and why we have not put a proper coaching team around them? The players need genuine leaders and voices, not a bunch of school kids.

Recruiting has been so poor lately, that the teams depth has become very poor. Who makes the call to keep drafting substandard VFL players or trading for other teams fringe players? The point to improving the team, is to actually IMPROVE the team. Other teams fringe players are next to no odds of becoming better at a new team, why pile the list with them? Whoever has a poor eye for talent, please don't make any recruiting decisions ever again. We used to find VFL gems like Picken and Morris, or land serviceable players AT the time like Doc, Keath, Bruce before his knee. The last few trades or signings from other teams, have been stuck in our VFL team.

Plus the list management team has neglected the midfield for so long, that the Dogs do not have a genuine top tier inside MIDS to take over from Libba, or help Bont out. The midfield is full of slow players, who turn the ball over heaps and get pushed around physically. They neglected defense for so long until the past off-season, but now we have players either too old or too young to make a mark on the game yet.

The CEO and President seem to have no backbone. Stop recruiting former players into board roles, Grant needs to go, and into coaching roles. Get rid of all the inner matey boys club that goes on behind the scenes.

Most Bulldogs games have all had a common theme this season, following the same script. But the biggest one is that they almost ALWAYS come out after half time looking flat physically and mentally, and get run over in third quarters. And look slow in general. Might be good to move the head of fitness off as well?

And don't let the players escape criticism. They are the ones who are not working hard off the ball, they are the ones turning it over and making dumb decisions. They are clearly devoid of any self confidence in one another.

Blow the entire place up, start fresh. The club has been so stale for so long, that even my non Bulldog friends ask me, what exactly is the Bulldogs identity? Not even I can answer that.

But they need to do a proper review. We got promised one at the end of last season, and the only suggestion we got, was to bring in Lade as an assistant. Was a half assed review in my opinion. The team is overrated, but there is still plenty of players to work with if they can find the right coach, and build a proper support network around them. Not that confident though, always the risk of landing a even worse coach when you make a change.

I just don't have faith in the club and board to get it right.

From the end of 2021, the Dogs lost Ash Hansen and Steven King as assistants. Who knows their respective impact but that’s a noticeable difference compared to the year in which the doggies made the GF

From the end of 2021, the Dogs lost Ash Hansen and Steven King as assistants. Who knows their respective impact but that’s a noticeable difference compared to the year in which the doggies made the GF
I think the most noticeable difference is their midfield.

They’ve lost Dunkley, McRae has gone over a cliff, Treloar is getting pretty old and beat up. They got a decent ruck now- that’s nice- but Bont and Libba need a bit of help.

I think the most noticeable difference is their midfield.

They’ve lost Dunkley, McRae has gone over a cliff, Treloar is getting pretty old and beat up. They got a decent ruck now- that’s nice- but Bont and Libba need a bit of help.
This is the biggest concern. The KPF coming through are elite in Naughty, JUH and Darcy. Got Croft to grab this year too so one of Darcy or Naughton should go back. KPD we grabbed Busslinger last year and young O'Donnell has been improving. Midfield we have Bont and Libba. Treloar has been good this year but he's nearly done. We have 0 young mids of note coming through. Need to get up in the draft this year and get a gun

Bevo has to go

but so do some of the players. Absolutely spuds losing to west coast at home.

2016 seems like such a fluke coupled with gift wrapped umpiring

Evidently there’s bugger all support for the man who delivered a club on the brink of irrelevance one of the most stirring flags this century.

Harsh game sometimes, 1 additional goal last night and the Dogs are right in the thick of things.

Still a ways to go in the 2023 season; I’m not stamping his papers just yet.
Thoughts after today?

Thoughts after today?

Still not stamping his papers.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

Dogs still have a slim chance of making the 8, but there's no point in pretending that they haven't blown an opportunity in 2023. They should easily be a top 8 side, and they have the top end talent to be pushing for top 4.

Regardless, Beveridge was at the helm when the Dogs pulled off one of the great Premiership heists of my long-ish lifetime. I never thought I'd see Footscray win a flag.
Never.
I thought St Kilda were more likely to double their flag tally before the Dogs would.
He gets a fairly long leash compared to some.

I think we'll probably knock them over at KP next week, too.

Did anyone else find it odd and borderline inappropriate when Beveridge said that loved Bailey Smith at a recent press conference?

I see that kind of stuff in the AFL all the time. Chris Scott is always talking about his favourite players, and how much he loves them.
Adam Simpson compared Harley Reid to his son! It is a weird industry, a bit like Hollywood; lots of big emotions.
Inappropriate? Not really.
Manipulative? Maybe.
Silly? Definitely.

Back