Toast Luke Breust - Ready for a big season

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it funny that a 27 year old 300 goal forward gets as much schtick as he does.

With Hill long-gone, Hartung gone and Schoenmakers maybe not playing much this year people are clutching for a new whipping boy.

I'm hoping he's worked on his tank because I'd like to see him spending more time in the midfield where we're weakest.

Nothing worse than watching class players like Bruest & Gunston standing around with hands on hips inside 50 most of the game while the ball's down the other end because our midfield is getting smashed, and if we are getting killed through there the occasional inside 50 is going to be of such poor quality it won't make much difference who's on the end of it anyway.

Once upon a time I would've argued strongly for the exact opposite, having stated many times on this board that playing Rioli outside the forwardline is tantamount to a sin..... but football has changed. Its MUCH more important to have class around the ball than on the receiving end now, Richmond & the Dogs proved you can win flags with rubbish forwards if you have enough grunt, speed & desperation around the ball at all times.

The worrying thing about Bruest last year wasn't so much the drop off in goals but rather how little forward pressure he provided compared with past years. Same goes for Poppy & Cyril. If these guys aren't capable of locking it in the way they have in the past then we need to change our gameplan from one that relies on it so heavily. Which is also why I'd like to see Rioli & Bruest given more midfield time - pressure on the ball carrier is absolutely crucial now and not something you have the luxury of applying only when the ball's in your forward 50, and this is an area we were routinely smashed in last year.

I'm hoping he's worked on his tank because I'd like to see him spending more time in the midfield where we're weakest.

Nothing worse than watching class players like Bruest & Gunston standing around with hands on hips inside 50 most of the game while the ball's down the other end because our midfield is getting smashed, and if we are getting killed through there the occasional inside 50 is going to be of such poor quality it won't make much difference who's on the end of it anyway.

Once upon a time I would've argued strongly for the exact opposite, having stated many times on this board that playing Rioli outside the forwardline is tantamount to a sin..... but football has changed. Its MUCH more important to have class around the ball than on the receiving end now, Richmond & the Dogs proved you can win flags with rubbish forwards if you have enough grunt, speed & desperation around the ball at all times.

The worrying thing about Bruest last year wasn't so much the drop off in goals but rather how little forward pressure he provided compared with past years. Same goes for Poppy & Cyril. If these guys aren't capable of locking it in the way they have in the past then we need to change our gameplan from one that relies on it so heavily. Which is also why I'd like to see Rioli & Bruest given more midfield time - pressure on the ball carrier is absolutely crucial now and not something you have the luxury of applying only when the ball's in your forward 50, and this is an area we were routinely smashed in last year.
Ran PBs in the time trials and had 8 tackles last week so sounds like you got your wish

Personally I'd rather see an elite forward play forward instead of through the midfield. Getting our midfield in order should be a priority but not at the expense of potency up forward.

Our midfield issues should be rectified by the fact that both Mitchell and O'Meara are heavy tacklers, and our second string such as Howe and Shiels are also heavy tacklers.

Breust is a cold blooded killer, no doubt about it. Last year he was heavily dependent on forward pressure to kick goals, problem was no cyril, poppy or Gunston (backline) to help, Langford is a goer but he isn't ideal to work with having little forwardline experience and no respect from the opposition.

In spite of that still had 33 goals, lest we forget he's not a key forward and we had a basketcase of a team for half a season

Nice wish list ACA but people on here have been saying as much for at least two or three seasons. If a player hadn't built a tank by the time he is early 20's he probably didn't or doesn't have the capacity to do so, as for playing mid please give me strength, I just don't see this as the place where players with the body language of a soulless vacuum ply their trade.
At 27 this cat an it going to be changing his spots, he IMHO will be playing out his days starting high half forward in order to get front and square for the long kick in, if and when he misses the drop of the ball he will with no second effort keep on running to the goal square for the joey over the top after all he would rival Josh Jenkins for this. Look some on here are going to say that to love our club is to love every player but I reserve the right to have one player a season to have on my not much love list per season.
Soulless void of a player, robot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice wish list ACA but people on here have been saying as much for at least two or three seasons. If a player hadn't built a tank by the time he is early 20's he probably didn't or doesn't have the capacity to do so, as for playing mid please give me strength, I just don't see this as the place where players with the body language of a soulless vacuum ply their trade.
At 27 this cat an it going to be changing his spots, he IMHO will be playing out his days starting high half forward in order to get front and square for the long kick in, if and when he misses the drop of the ball he will with no second effort keep on running to the goal square for the joey over the top after all he would rival Josh Jenkins for this. Look some on here are going to say that to love our club is to love every player but I reserve the right to have one player a season to have on my not much love list per season.
Your tanty is based on ignorance but go on. Like u say everyone can have a say but at the end of the year will u man up and apologise?

Your tanty is based on ignorance but go on. Like u say everyone can have a say but at the end of the year will u man up and apologise?
You are some funny ignorance in your not so humble opinion. I knew the koolaiders would come out in due course but thats fine, maybe I just don't set my bar as low as so, what next a list of stats the David King couldn't jump over? I don't post opinion thinking all and sundry are going to agree, if any at all but hey the last player I no love for was Suckling and that worked out well for me "wippie".
Feel free to make more aspersions of me I'm all good with it, tanty, ignorance, you play the man harder than Breust.:rolleyes::thumbsu::rainbow:.

Last edited:
You're kidding? One of our most skilled players. Brilliant one-on-one, great tackler, selfless team player, unbelievable set-shot, kicks bags, can snap them from anywhere... Ain't no pleasing some people.

A little touchy tut tut tut
Lol mate your posts were a lot more emotional than mine but ok fair enough.
The fact that he is signed up till 2021 gives you an indication of what the coaching staff think of him as a player.
Its what I really was trying to say

You are some funny ignorance in your not so humble opinion. I knew the koolaiders would come out in due course but thats fine, maybe I just don't set my bar as low as so, what next a list of stats the David King couldn't jump over? I don't post opinion thinking all and sundry are going to agree, if any at all but hey the last player I no love for was Suckling and that worked out well for me "wippie".
Feel free to make more aspersions of me I'm all good with it, tanty, ignorance, you play the man harder than Breust.:rolleyes::thumbsu::rainbow:.
Its NOT opinion when the coaches and the club have endorsed him with a long term deal

Its NOT opinion when the coaches and the club have endorsed him with a long term deal

It is opinion - but just one based on little real evidence, lots of imagined flaws and a very bizarre dislike of one of our best players. Breust must have spilled his beer at one point and not bought him a new one.

Richmond & the Dogs proved you can win flags with rubbish forwards if you have enough grunt, speed & desperation around the ball at all times.
Truest thing l've read in quite a while and its a shame that sheer football ability seems to play second fiddle.

This is a ridiculously negative post about a player who has never had less than a 30 goal season and was a mid-late Rookie Draft pick. Breust will go down as one of the best rookie picks in history with AA selection and 300+ goals already. Your comment goes way beyond "not much love" - it's an attack on the body language, effort and talent of a bloke who has taken his chance by the scruff of the neck and made the most of it he possibly could

This is a ridiculously negative post about a player who has never had less than a 30 goal season and was a mid-late Rookie Draft pick. Breust will go down as one of the best rookie picks in history with AA selection and 300+ goals already. Your comment goes way beyond "not much love" - it's an attack on the body language, effort and talent of a bloke who has taken his chance by the scruff of the neck and made the most of it he possibly could

I am a Breust supporter and agree with most of what you say, but why comment on the rookie draft pick? Once a player is on a list, it doesn't matter what the pick they came in was. No matter what the pick, Breust has contributed exceptionally well to the team during a period when we won three flags. For me, my favourite was 2014 when he was on fire in the GF win over the Swines.

Like others, I think the harsh judgement of his effort last year was a bit unfair. I think he was down, but even if true, he seems to have responded in the best way possible - with his effort second to none in the first trial!

must be sad to have gotten no enjoyment out of the 304 goals Punky has kicked as a Hawk
the three goals he kicked in the 2014 grand final must have really grated, I mean why couldn't someone you actually like have kicked them so that you could enjoy the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back