Opinion Radio/TV Commentary, (Is Luke Hodge The Worst?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Still bitter and twisted over the advantage call last year. Should never be allowed to commentate Collingwood games.
Isn't it next year we can choose which commentary team to listen to?
Yep Fox will call all games including 7’s next year, can’t wait.

SEN Sync is a godsend too, Hutchy is an irresponsible businessman and burns money on 50 million stations no one listens to, but that feature is the best thing from SEN in recent times

Sandy Roberts and Drew Morphett were simply the best. Just fantastic unbiased informative calls with an exciting tone. True professionals. The quality of AFL commentators like Hollywood movies is deteriorating so fast it is a real shame.
The death of Clinton Grybas IMO changed the direction of footy commentary forever, back when he was calling, all the major play by play callers were rarely former players. If he was still with us he’d be leading either Fox or Seven today, and we would have more like him and Huddo and not BT

And the insane thing with BT is that before he went to Seven, he was pretty good on Fox and Nine. Maybe that was down to him calling once a week

How i wish for sounds of the game to return , no commentary. Just have the Crowd , Umpires , Players and the occasional f off from the players coming through the tv
Old Fox Footy had that feature over 20 years ago. Remember Footy Active? It was awesome. You could turn off commentary and just hear the crowds and umps. Yet with better tech nowadays we can’t do that with Kayo

Old Fox Footy had that feature over 20 years ago. Remember Footy Active? It was awesome. You could turn off commentary and just hear the crowds and umps. Yet with better tech nowadays we can’t do that with Kayo

Yeah that was fantastic hey!! Showing my age hah.

Id love to be able to crank it up with better sound system nowadays and have no commentary.

Heck i even loved press red for ed in those few biased pie games that were done. Maybe we should be the first club to have our own broadcast team, like the NBA does

The death of Clinton Grybas IMO changed the direction of footy commentary forever, back when he was calling, all the major play by play callers were rarely former players. If he was still with us he’d be leading either Fox or Seven today, and we would have more like him and Huddo and not BT

And the insane thing with BT is that before he went to Seven, he was pretty good on Fox and Nine. Maybe that was down to him calling once a week

Clinton , that was bloody sad. Loved his work , knew his stuff!

Agree about BT, he was a good caller. Makes it even more frustrating knowing he can do it if he wants to.

I don’t remember what play it was maybe the Sullivan play but Hodge made a comment like, well if they paid the running too far last week we (pies supporters) should put up with that last call against us.very bitter and twisted human.

I really hope next year Huddo leads Fox in Thursday and Friday nights with Howie. Matt Hill (rookie of the year) and Dwayne can do the big Saturday games. Bucks can sit in the studio and not go near a game he’s terrible. Jack is very good for a noob and Derm as usual is Derm love him or hate him, personally I love his special comments.
As for Sen the quicker they sack Corn the better the station will be.

Let’s hope the new broadcast agreement also lets Fox call finals otherwise it’s years of BT spoiling the GF and Fox left to twiddle their fingers during the actual game. I always hoped they’d do the game live with their team not broadcast it because they can’t but all replays of the GF are their team.

Apart from his obvious bias, he has the customary terrible voice that Channel 7 must have as its major criterion in selecting " experts". There are probably only two worse voices in the football media and that is saying something when we have the likes of Shaun Burgoyne and Nathan Jones. Kelli "raucous" Underwood and Garry " mumbles" Lyon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone notice that Hodge seemed to completely change his tune in the last 6 or 7 minutes and started to support a couple of decisions that didn't go our way?. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pulled up for his completely biased assessment of everything we did.
Yes I detected that too. As I recall, after "the decision" (free against Schultz for not handing the ball back), the commentary team was collectively quiet for a moment or 2, before Hodge said something like "I have no words" in a disbelieving voice.

I miss Peter Landy!
As for Hodge, needs a ban from Collingwood games.
Think he carries a black n white voodoo doll.
It was no secret that Peter Landy was an avid Hawthorn man. He tried to remain neutral when calling their games, but didn't always succeed. I noticed he would either adopt a patronising tone towards the opposing team when the Hawks were dominating (which they often did in the 70s and 80s), or when the Hawks weren't playing well and looked like losing, he would make sarcastic comments about the Hawk players - rather like a supporter in the outer commentating the game.

For all that, he wasn't too bad a commentator and certainly light years ahead of Hodge.

I agree with most of the posts on this thread.

He’s a “special comments” guy.
Problem is, all his special comments are always criticising a player or team that should’ve done this, or should’ve done that.
Only things that come out of his mouth are negative. Rarely applauds a player for good play, just critiques their direct opponent who was unfortunate to lose the contest.

Needs to be a shake up of the commentary team on ch 7. This gerbil Hodge has to go.

Did anyone notice that Hodge seemed to completely change his tune in the last 6 or 7 minutes and started to support a couple of decisions that didn't go our way?. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pulled up for his completely biased assessment of everything we did.
I’d had enough of him and at 1/2 time I synced Kayo with SEN.
Much better listening to Gerard Whateley and Dermie.

He really seems to hate Collingwood. As a result I really detest him as a commentator. His bias against us is next level. Due to his age, you would imagine that he will be around for a long time to come in the commentary box. This is very bad news for Collingwood supporters.

100% it is very obvious and the commentary box also seem to buy into it including ex pie BT, who's been sour on the club since his mate MM left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back