Opinion Radio/TV Commentary, (Is Luke Hodge The Worst?)

Remove this Banner Ad

74 comments above and so far no a positive one.

Well, now it’s 75-0.

I don’t feel good sitting behind a screen criticising, but it just makes you so angry.

Despite being a very good player and I think great caption, unfortunately he’s a disaster as a commentator.

His monotonal voice makes the game sound dreary and dull.

I’m yet to hear a single insightful comment.

The predictability of his comments are
mind numbing.

The predictability of his hatred for Collingwood makes your gut churn.

If Collingwood get a free kick, you just wait for him to reappear with reasons it shouldn’t have been.

If the oppo fail to be awarded a 50:50, well just wait a sec, oh here he comes chiming in with the reasons it should have been a free.

It’s relentless and shameless.

I really hope Luke gets into coaching, I suspect he may be rather better at that
than what he’s currently doing.

I’ve tried to be as positive as I can.

BT, James Brayshaw, Hodge...the list goes on.

With Hodge, I feel he has no respect for/doesn't rate Collingwood's 2010 team - it goes back that far, not just 2011 PF related. I get the impression Geelong was his premiership preference. More recently, I bet he feels that Collingwood were only good enough to manufacture close wins 2022-23.

Whilst Hodge whinges and whines against Collingwood and is quick to praise opposition, he does chime in with something positive once in a while - which is noticibly more likely at the end of a good quarter from Collingwood.
Not sure he has that depth of thought

100% it is very obvious and the commentary box also seem to buy into it including ex pie BT, who's been sour on the club since his mate MM left.
I think he’s been sour since the West Coast draw in 1990. Never made it back into the side.

Last edited:
I think he’s been sour after the West Coast draw in 1990. Never made it back into the side.
Wrong.
BT has been a long term friend of our club.
I think he should probably retire, but let’s not start making stuff up.

You are special, plain and simple.
Thanks?

I went to every game of the 1990 finals series, and read absolutely everything that was in the papers.

It was a special time.

The overwhelming sense that I got was that BT was happy to have played his role in the journey to a flag.

There was not any serious consideration to him playing in the GF.

Please, if you have any “inside” information, please let us know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks?

I went to every game of the 1990 finals series, and read absolutely everything that was in the papers.

It was a special time.

The overwhelming sense that I got was that BT was happy to have played his role in the journey to a flag.

There was not any serious consideration to him playing in the GF.

Please, if you have any “inside” information, please let us know.
So that you can then accuse me of having made it up.
I know you have a utopian image of Collingwood, I wouldn’t want to ruin that for you.

So that you can then accuse me of having made it up.
I know you have a utopian image of Collingwood, I wouldn’t want to ruin that for you.
Utopian image, that’s funny.
You act like you’re the only one who truly understands the club.

Do you know what that makes you look like?

Someone who knows more than you probably.
Taylor played six games in 1990. If he was really that aggrieved at being left out of the GF side, he must have been the most deluded player of all time!

No, that honour goes to Callum Brown for not seeing his delisting coming.
I could understand Taylor being disappointed to not make the qualifying final replay. But after that he could hardly be surprised not to play in the GF.

Are you really suggesting he thought he was a realistic chance?

Are your insights based on his diary?

Last edited:
You’re just making that up.
BT was dirty on Matthews, more than likely at the time.
BT's biggest problem is that, commentary wise he swings too far to avoid any conception of bias to the Pies.
If you expect this he is great, but if if not he seems to barrack for the opposition.

I thought he was biased until I learned the truth.

The man lives and loves the Black and White.

Last edited:
BT was dirty on Matthews, more than likely.
BT's biggest problem is that, commentary wise he swings too far to avoid any conception of bias to the Pies.
If you expect this he is great, but if if not he seems to barrack for the opposition.

I thought he was biased until I learned the truth.

The man lives and loves the Black and White.
I’ve been to a few club functions that BT has presented. A few years ago now.

I used to enjoy his work.

Think he’s become a bit too old and cranky now. In terms of commentary, he should probably move on.

Will never forget his contribution to the 1990 flag.

BT was about to release a book after the 1990 season. Inside info on the club.
Coach and players were aware of it and not happy at all with him.
Club asked for a hard copy and were not impressed of the content.
Career over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back