Luke Power Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Power is one of my all time favourite players. A Roy Boy to match. A fantastic player, humble, a quiet achiever and a lovely bloke. No flashy boots and big statements from Luke, just goes about his business, 3 premierships, All Australian, leader of the Players Association. Pity we didn't know about this beforehand, would have saved my pennies and gone up for the game, but then how typical of Luke is it to bow out quietly. Love you heaps Luke and shall miss you enormously.

Congratulations to Luke on a wonderful career. A true champion of our club, who has given so much to our club off and on the field. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

Power has been a brilliant asset for the club and should be congratulated on an excellent career!

Sounds like Vossy told him that he should retire because he can't guarantee him a spot in the side next season. Dare say Vossy wouldn't wanted to have seen Lukey in out of the side and playing reserves as a way to finish his career..

I read it slightly differently. Voss would've been honest with him about the fact that he will not be guaranteed a spot in the 22 and then left it up to Luke to decide if he wanted to go on, which I think we all agree with. Knowing what we know about Luke Power, I am not surprised he retired.

He will be missed.

Favourite game in recent times would have to be his game against the Pies last year. Hope someone puts together a video of some of the highlights of his career.

Would love to see that, hopefully the AFL website knocks out a good one.

Power was always such a humble, nice bloke and although he was slowing down I thought he might have another season in him as a small forward. Bit of a shock. Bittersweet end to the season but a great career by an absolute champion. All the best Lukey.

Great career and a great bloke. I hope phrases I've seen on twitter ( yeah I know!) like " not part of next years plans" and the like are off the mark.

Another year as a small forward and leader around the club for a bunch of young blokes seems like a good idea to me. The list isn't that strong!

Very sad if he was pushed - even just nudged.

I suspect this would have been very very difficult for Voss, which may explain why he seemed slightly awkward in the press conference..

At first, I was very annoyed to think Luke was pushed, but in the cold light of day, I realise it was a conversation Voss, as coach, had to have with Luke......as he will have to do with JB, Simon and Ash one day..:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

congratulations on a perfect playing career L Power...

he's ticked all the boxes - a one-club player who won multiple premierships, personal accolades and the respect of players and fans across the league

an excellent ambassador for the game who will no doubt succeed in whatever he does next with the same humility and professionalism we saw throughout his 282 games

Thanks Lukey!

Absolute champion player and is still playing very well. I don't know what you guys think of Voss as a coach but I feel like he has let too many good players go. It wouldve been easy for eagles to push out glass, embley, cox, after last year but we didnt and its paid off this year. Who's to say that couldn't have been brisbane had rischitelli, brennan, bradshaw and power all been there in 2012? (I know bradshaw had knee issues but still)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Power carefully said 'leaving club' and not necessarily football - would not be surprised if he went to GWS

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe Lukey loves the club so much that he is willing to be the 'uncontracted' player that gets snapped up by GWS! If he is officially 'retired' - is he also 'uncontracted' ? May be a ploy to get more value from Clark's imminent departure!

Power could have played on for at least one more year. Not only is he still a very hand forward, but as others have mentioned, provides tremendous leadership. It may ruffle some feathers, but Voss may be trying to protect his reputation and promoting his 'youth policy' a tad too much. Nothing wrong with making the hard call - but we arguably gave players like Voss, Notting, Lappin, Copeland, Scott brothers (all premiership heroes) the benefit of the doubt and gave them every opportunity to play until they noticeably dropped down in form.

I am a tad aggrieved at Voss' handling of this situation.

That all said - congrats Lukey for a tremendous career with the Lions. You will be missed

In the CM this morning, Luke being touted by none other than Gubby and Craig Lambert who are already in the football dept at GWS. They want to add him to their non-playing ranks. No better club man to have around.

Pleased that Power made it personal by saying its my decision, I'll do it my way, quietly to my mates first, play the game, all over. NO fuss.

Also pleased that Lions seem to be better at retiring their players. Part of the huge premiership hangover was players hanging on too long. Easiest way to circumvent the impost is "we can't guarantee you a spot on the team next year". Job done. Everyone moves on. File it. :thumbsu:

BTW Excellent career Luke, truly one of the modern day role models. Three flags, captaincy. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Absolute champion player and is still playing very well. I don't know what you guys think of Voss as a coach but I feel like he has let too many good players go. It wouldve been easy for eagles to push out glass, embley, cox, after last year but we didnt and its paid off this year. Who's to say that couldn't have been brisbane had rischitelli, brennan, bradshaw and power all been there in 2012? (I know bradshaw had knee issues but still)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Power carefully said 'leaving club' and not necessarily football - would not be surprised if he went to GWS

Bradshaw did not play a game of football this year and retired mid year. I doubt he's going to be going around in 2012. Rischitelli and Brennan both left for salaries far above what we could or should pay them. I see where you're going, but I think your route getting there is wrong.

BTW as someone who's probably paid closer attention to GWS than most on this board and BF (new local club, after all) I would be absolutely astounded if Power showed up at GWS in a playing capacity. I don't get the impression that Power wants to start anew at a club for one, but GWS wouldn't waste an uncontracted player slot on a 30+ year old player who probably has at most one good year left, and arguably only played half a good year (or less) this year. They're taking a long term view to building their playing list.

Personally I'd love to see him drafted as a board member. Definitely comes across as having the nous and intelligence, but I suspect it'd be declined for the same reason Leigh didn't want a position immediately after he finished coaching - Power discussing Voss's future when the time comes might be uncomfortable.

dlanod, I believe there's a five year moratorium on past players or coaches being elected to the Lions Board. This was passed by the previous Board apparently to ward off Alastair Lynch's ambition to do so.

In the meantime, the Spockman has only gone on to become a player manager, commentator and Inside presenter, so maybe there was some substance to the Board's haste.

The moratorium means Luke would have to wait 5 yrs. Long time in footie land.

I wouldn't mind Power playing for GWS as long as he plays at least as well as he has this year. I just hope he doesn't do a Bradshaw. Also if he does go to GWS Vossy will get an unfair thrashing in the media which would be frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back