Luke Power Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about all of this..

If he goes to GWS to be their captain, I'll be real cranky with him....its going to make Voss and the club look bad (which Roos did mention)....e.g. another Voss mistake..

Aagh!!:(

I don't think it makes Voss look bad at all.

Voss sat down and told Power that he couldn't guarantee that he'd be in our best 22 next year and that he should consider his options.

Power decided it was best for both parties to walk away now.

If he can get a run at GWS he should go for it and should have every Lions supporter's support. Would be no different to Josh Fraser at Gold Coast. Wasn't embarrassing for Collingwood.

How do you retire a champion? You can't so it will always be a painful process. The clubs young guns need to take ownership of this team. This is right decision for the club whether Luke goes to GWS or not.

Best of luck Luke whether you go to GWS or retire. You will always be a Lions Champion.:thumbsu:

Starting to get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about all of this..

If he goes to GWS to be their captain, I'll be real cranky with him....its going to make Voss and the club look bad (which Roos did mention)....e.g. another Voss mistake..

Aagh!!:(

I wouldn't be cranky with him at all. If he wasn't in the Voss plan for next year, and it seems he wasn't, he would have to at least consider an offer from GWS. IMO he would be a great pick up for the new club.

Luke has been at great pains to assure us all that there is no animosity between himself and Vossy. Usually I take such things with a grain of salt but in Luke's case I believe it to be sincere.

How do you retire a champion? You can't so it will always be a painful process. The clubs young guns need to take ownership of this team. This is right decision for the club whether Luke goes to GWS or not.

Best of luck Luke whether you go to GWS or retire. You will always be a Lions Champion.:thumbsu:

This :thumbsu:

Voss sat down and told Power that he couldn't guarantee that he'd be in our best 22 next year and that he should consider his options.

But given Power's enthusiasm and seeming 'want' to continue playing on next year, it reads to me that Power would have backed himself.

"best 22" is the key word here; looking at our list, and despite not playing at his top notch best, Power is, and would most likely, still be in the best 22 come next year.

I for one would much prefer to laud a true club champion than dwell on the potential negatives that some people seem to be attempting to see here.

Yeah agree. I think the media have tried to drum up as much controversy as possible, and some seem to be going along for the ride.

I would imagine the whole thing has been fairly routine for a player nearing the end of their career. The club needs to redefine where the player stands and the player needs to decide whether he wants to persist with those terms.

There's a lot of 'was it right/wrong' being discussed but it all seems fairly regulation to me.

Not that I watch Couch anymore, same old nonsense week in week IMO. Listening to that meeja bloke with his bottom lip drooping as he is trashes the career of 20 something's week in week out becomes tedious after several years. And as to Roos if he implied that a coach can look bad for ending the career of a fast sliding veteran he is talking nonsense and in his heart of heart he has to know that.

The reality is that Roos ended the careers of players while a coach. It comes with the job. He knows it and so does every other person in the footy world.

Luke is a champion, the couple of times I have met him at club functions he was an absolute credit and as a player he has given me much joy and pleasure but there reaches an end and we all have to understand that. It will happen to all of our new favourite players be that a Redden, Rich or Rocklife etc etc.

I notice Luke Power "hasn't ruled out" going to GWS. He also hasn't ruled out buying a camel. Or living in Spain. Or wearing a pink suit to the best and fairest.

I am waiting for something a little more concrete.

Could Power of played another year, "Yes". Was Vossy upfront, honest and learned from previous mistakes "Yes". Do we want to stifle the development of the next era of the Power, Blacks, Vossy's coming through, "No". The best way to fast track your development is play the kids. The reason the Rich's, Rockliff's, Reddens, Leuenberger's and Hanleys are improving is because they are playing games together . I love Power as much as the next bloke but the decision is right for where we are in the cycle of rebuilding. If he wants to to go on with GWS, I'm happy with that too, I won't think any less of him. Now lets back the coach and get on with the business of winning a premiership.

Meeja bloke..."Power talked to GWS today.".....quivering... sagging bottom lip working overtime...

Once that Meeja blokes bottom lip is pointed out it becomes difficult not to focus on it. Bad luck:(. You will just have to join me and no longer watch him. I actually feared that he was going to dribble last time I watched and with that thought knew that it was my time to move on.

If Voss pushed him out the door, which it doesn't seem to much like, I won't be happy, but hey what can any of us do.

If he told him he wont be in the top 22 next year and Luke wants to continue playing at that level, well I am happy enough to see that happen, the champion deserves to hang up his boots when he chooses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I notice Luke Power "hasn't ruled out" going to GWS. He also hasn't ruled out buying a camel. Or living in Spain. Or wearing a pink suit to the best and fairest.

I am waiting for something a little more concrete.

Yep........like handing over the Presidency of the Players Association

the champion deserves to hang up his boots when he chooses.

And he has chosen. I ask you and others who seem to think that this is some unique event in team sport what you would think if he had announced that he thought that he had 2 or 3 years left in him and intended to attempt to hold his spot? In reality he would have been humiliated by being left out. Luke showed definite signs this year that he had lost pace and length and accuracy of his kick. The coach had a moral obligation to tell him that he would struggle to make the best 22 next season. The coach was correct in informing him thus so as to allow Luke to make a considered decision.

Exactly why I said he can hang up his boots when he chooses? :S Doesn't bother me too much about the skill attributes tbh, he still kicked goals didn't he? He played mostly forward pocket and did his job. The fact Voss wants to head towards a young club, does etch him out the sketch, however if he wants to keep playing at a high level so be it, I am happy for him to do that.

EDIT: Sorry didn't read your post right.

He hasn't exactly chosen too yet, there's been these talks with GWS, things could happen, weirder things have happened before.

Once that Meeja blokes bottom lip is pointed out it becomes difficult not to focus on it. Bad luck:(. You will just have to join me and no longer watch him. I actually feared that he was going to dribble last time I watched and with that thought knew that it was my time to move on.

Yep...I'm not a fan either, watched it for the first time in yonks....Besides the Meeja Bloke, I cant stand **** Gerard.... I was amazed at how crooked Roos nose is.

Ol' Quiver Lip has dribbled shite for years now but Gerard Healy's only really started to grate on me this year.

AFL Insider, 360 and Marngrook are the only footy shows I bother with these days.

And another premiership hero falls by the wayside. Great career, always hard for fans to let go. Hell, I even rode those Lions flags in myself and attended celebrations in King George Square.

Good luck Luke :thumbsu:

Ol' Quiver Lip has dribbled shite for years now but Gerard Healy's only really started to grate on me this year.

AFL Insider, 360 and Marngrook are the only footy shows I bother with these days.

Was part of the live audience last week. Always interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes.

I watched Luke and Vossy in their press interview, they both looked positive and they both have great respect for each other. That was clear to me.

My take now after what I have read today, GWS want him and if he has been given Captaincy, who in their right mind would begrudge Luke this wonderful honour. It's funny, I would feel a great sense of pride that one of our boys was the inaugural Captain of a new Club.

Go with my blessing Luke Power and thank you for your wonderful contribution to our club.

Our list must be going to be a lot stronger next year than the last couple if Luke couldn't make it!

I would have thought he was a much better prospect as a leader and mentor (and still a pretty handy player) than some of the 19, 20, 21 and 22 picks we've had lately.

Mind you I reckoned the same about Travis!

Every week we seem to have 3 or 4 who are never going to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back