Toast Luke Shuey - Retiring End of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the way he plays, gives it his all but sadly his hammy is shot. Good call and will be missed. What a great player and legend of our club.

Okay - I knew it was coming but this one really stings. He really is the heart and soul of the club.

They'd be mad not to keep him on in some sort of development role. The lads all love him. I love you too Boots! I'm REALLY going to miss seeing you out their mate.

Always sad when a player has to hang them up a bit before his time due to injuries but an amazing career nonetheless with plenty of great moments I know we all won’t forget in our lifetimes. Thanks for the memories Boots.

Loved the Club. Loved being a role model to the young guys. Achieved the ultimate success. I really hope the club keeps him in some capacity..

An absolute gun in his prime. Was scintillating to watch. That 5 goals v WB the same game JJK kicked 10 was just amazing

I remember how he got caught out for speed in the first finals he played.

Norm says he adjusted well and then some.

Dual sided. Dangerous. Hard at the coalface. Two way runner.

Thank you Shuey. Thank you so very much

🦅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't post much these days, but I have to pay respects to the great Shue. Still feel as though he's been underrated for most of his career. On top of his flashy moments, he did a hell of a lot of heavy lifting in the midfield through the 2010s. He was sometimes unfairly criticised despite copping significant opposition attention, whilst the rest of our midfield was fairly one-dimensional. He went into God-mode during finals, fiercely shrugging tackles and busting packs. Won't forget his GF in '18 or the way he sliced through North's defense in the '15 prelim to kick what was essentially the sealer. His kicking off both sides and awareness to deliver to forwards in space was second to none.

Shue was an absolute warrior. It's only a shame that we couldn't see him at full flight as captain, but no doubt his attitude through adversity and stellar off-field commitment will be harnessed as a template for draftees and rookies coming through the club. Farewell to one of the most skilled, dedicated and respected footballers our club has ever produced. I'd be more than happy to leave the door open for a development/coaching role if he wanted it.

If he gets back for a final home game, I'll be doing a shoey for Shue, and I hope you do, too.

Gutted to lose such an amazing player and inspirational leader.

He will be sorely missed.

It is the right call of course, but man there will be a huge hole in leadership next year, especially if Barrass requests a trade.

I was writing on another thread on BF a few days ago about duel sided players and after watching Shueys highlights I have to say he is probably as good a player in the Blue n Gold on either foot as we've ever had.

Over distance too.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bled Blue and Gold and gave everything he had for the club, no one could ever question his commitment. He will always be a club legend and I hope the club find a role for him in the future.

Going to miss you Boots, thanks for everything,

The right call made but this one stings and stings a lot worse than Bungas. He’ll walk away being a bit underrated by the greater football public but that Norm Smith performance was not only reminder to a lot how good he was but also made a lot of people notice. Devastated but hopefully he can come back and coach the side one day

Remember the game he took a mark 40m out ina game we were comfortably ahead and instead of going for goal you could see him mouth the words "where's muzz" and kicked it to a returning Murray Newman so he could get a goal.

A true club man, who can relive the glory of that grand final day for the rest of his life.

Thanks for everything Luke.

Comfortably our most dynamic mid since the Cousins-Judd-Kerr era and for a long time was forced to do the heavy lifting in that regard without a lot of help

Is Exhibit A when it comes to what we can do as a club to retain players from over east. Shuey had a terrible time to start his career with us and he could easily have chucked it in and gone home. Instead he fought through his challenges to become a 250 game player (or near enough) with a trophy cabinet that includes a club B&F, a premiership medal and a Norm Smith. And he captained the club

Great player, great teammate and clubman. One of our best ever

Enjoy retirement Boots

Knew it was coming but hits hard. Lecca, JK, Shuey gone. Nicnat to retire and my favourite players of the generation are all gone. Hurn was a really great solid player and a good captain but him retiring just doesn't hurt like Shuey does.

TBH I think this one hurts the most as Lecca retired on his own terms, JK retired on his own terms and at the right time but Shuey is just let down by his hamstrings otherwise is still an elite player. Maybe it's because i've spent a fair bit of time with him inside and outside the club.

I felt really bad for Shep having to retire but even through the first premiership hero retirements and the second group i'm not sure any have hit me as hard as this will.

Will miss you Boots. Will forever be underrated and in any other era where cheap stats didn't matter he would have been a multiple AA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back