Toast Luke Shuey - Retiring End of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad day for the club

Went through so much in the first few years from the injuries to the untimely loss of his little sister in an accident.

To battle back, stick around and achieve what he has is a testament to his character.

Thanks Boots
59a44c9cab0cd3110cc2ef9c97d88d6ae4115ea7

Last edited:
One of my favourite players ever. His spell has captain sadly hasn’t gone to plan and his body has let him down but I’ve never once doubted or questioned his passion or commitment to this club. Thankyou Boots❤️

Absolutely the right call, though he could still play highish level footy, his body wasn't. Which was the story of his life from when he first got drafted. He got drafted, then his sister passed away like a week or two later THEN spent his whole first year at the club without playing a single game cos he had OP and pretty sure he broke his leg as well...you knew we had something special when he was able to rise above all of that.

Still remember his first game against Brisbane at the GABBA, kicked a goal with his first kick.

That Norm Smith performance was unbelievable. Showed his ability on the biggest stage. Has had a great career let down by those hammys.

Right time to go. I hope he can get fit for a farewell game with Hurn in the final round. I'll be there with something in my eye damn it 😭

Just like JK and Hurn, it's the right call. But doesn't make it any easier. His bursts from centre bounces to hit a target in forward 50 are the thing I'll immediately remember him for. Champion.
Nic to Shuey to JK inside the first 5 seconds of just about every game during their prime, will forever be my most enjoyable passage of play to watch. Shame it didn’t really get as much usage as it should have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching this video when he nearly won the rising star, the part around 3.20 when he talks about how much the club supported him when he tragically lost his sister and he’s say that when I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my career at this club, he stuck true to that promise. so glad he won a premiership so glad he won a norm smith and so glad he got to captain this club, your an absolute champion Luke one of the all time greats to ever pull on the jumper. He is the definition to bleeding blue and gold.

That Norm Smith performance was unbelievable. Showed his ability on the biggest stage. Has had a great career let down by those hammys.

I remember at the time that according to Champion Data it was his best ever game - pretty good time to produce that.

He will also of course be remembered for that Port elimination final so he will retire as a legend of the club and for Adelaide fans.

I remember at the time that according to Champion Data it was his best ever game - pretty good time to produce that.

He will also of course be remembered for that Port elimination final so he will retire as a legend of the club and for Adelaide fans.

Best ever game in a final by any player according to Champion Data

Not sure if that's changed since 2018

His best was absolutely elite, as good as anyone's. Unfortunately his best form coincided with his body falling apart again, and we were robbed of seeing that eliteness for long periods.

He held that midfield together and delivered on the biggest stage when our next best Yeo couldn't get going. A beast of a performance.

Nic Nat -- Shuey -- Kennedy has been my favourite sequence of play during my time as an Eagles supporter. Shuey bursting out of stoppage, delivering precision passes on both feet. Nothing gets better than that.

Best ever game in a final by any player according to Champion Data

Not sure if that's changed since 2018

Christian Petracca 2021 was incredibly dominant, I wonder how he fared. A quick Google search doesn't tell me his rankings for that match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back