Nic Naitanui Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know what to write or say. So devo'd by this news on top of Hurn and Shuey.
There was only really a slim chance for any of these 3 to get up again for another year and even then at what capacity.
We are going to be a very different team in a few years time that is for sure.

NicNat was one of the best to pull on the jumper. An explosive player who definitely had the ability to do some crazy stuff to lift those around him. The very essence of a match winner when he was fit and healthy.
Such an absolute tragedy injury culled his career by 3+ years, particularly the 2 years in his prime.

I would put him up with those like Harvey, Hayes, Buckley who tried there heart out every time they played but missed out on the ultimate glory.
She is a cruel game some times, but those who watch and play it still love it.

Good luck big NicNat with whatever the future holds and thanks for making the game that much better to watch.

Carried a subpar midfield for a generation and it was incredibly obvious when he was missing except for that special '18 finals series when the mids played out of their skin.

I think it's undersold how he clawed his way back after two ACLs and became a completely different player. Indeed, he reworked his game to accommodate his broken knees, using his strength and becoming a smarter, wiley ruckman - who was quick in the clinches with hands and whose taps became possession like.

He's the best tap ruckman I've ever seen, easily the best tackle for someone his size, probably the best exponent of high marking for an enormous ruckman, incredible in congestion and had an underrated footy IQ, especially at stoppage.

His was a wonderful career, but had his body let him and if the 6-6-6 came in earlier I think we'd be saying goodbye to a generational champion.

A beautiful person off the field who had to put up with constant attention both good and bad. He also dealt with a fair bit of disgusting racism both overt in his inbox and the sly sort by retired nobodies that never really got it. But he never let that define him.

Born into a low socioeconomic family, an orphan in his 20s, his was not an easy run and nothing was given. A rare genuine bootstrap effort.

Champion Eagle and probably my favourite to don the blue and gold. Rest easy big man.

People kept saying he'd do his knee & I believed he never would & then he did. The only thing more devo than losing Cuzz & Judd in one hit.

Could of won any one of 16, 17, 19 if he never did.

Such is life. Love him forever. Legend

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol this is true.
I've seen Freo fans ranting about why there were backpage stories about NN's return from long term injuries rather an article about Nat Fyfe.
It's absolutely true, a few Freo mates of mine whinge incessantly about it, "oh look an article about nic nat walking his dog" "nic nats brother gets hail at his house" etc, etc. I'm surprised by how much it seems to irk them.

Sent from my CPH2069 using Tapatalk

You just knew he was special after the game against the hawks in 09.

He was awesome in 2012 when he got the nod as AA ruckman. Probably deserved another in between his next. He was the number 1 player in the league when he did his first knee.

The rhetoric in the media mainly lead by Garry Lyon about him not being that good was and is just ridiculous. Because it was obvious they never watched us.

Top 3 Greatest Eagles

Carried a subpar midfield for a generation and it was incredibly obvious when he was missing except for that special '18 finals series when the mids played out of their skin.

I think it's undersold how he clawed his way back after two ACLs and became a completely different player. Indeed, he reworked his game to accommodate his broken knees, using his strength and becoming a smarter, wiley ruckman - who was quick in the clinches with hands and whose taps became possession like.

He's the best tap ruckman I've ever seen, easily the best tackle for someone his size, probably the best exponent of high marking for an enormous ruckman, incredible in congestion and had an underrated footy IQ, especially at stoppage.

His was a wonderful career, but had his body let him and if the 6-6-6 came in earlier I think we'd be saying goodbye to a generational champion.

A beautiful person off the field who had to put up with constant attention both good and bad. He also dealt with a fair bit of disgusting racism both overt in his inbox and the sly sort by retired nobodies that never really got it. But he never let that define him.

Born into a low socioeconomic family, an orphan in his 20s, his was not an easy run and nothing was given. A rare genuine bootstrap effort.

Champion Eagle and probably my favourite to don the blue and gold. Rest easy big man.
He was brilliant and an absolute combative beast. Your point about his off-field persona is well made. Had the privilege of meeting him a few times and he is as fine a person as you could meet. I hope there is a place for him in the club,

This guys is an absolute legend both on and off the field. When Cuz retired, I didn’t think anyone could live up to the exploits of the number 9 jumper, then along cones Nic and you campaigners know what happened next..

Thanks for everything big fella. ❤️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back