Toast Shannon Hurn - Retiring End Of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that I loved the most with Hurn was he kept getting better and better and peaked around his early 30s. That very rarely happens in our club.

Sad to see him go, but retirement is the correct call as his body wouldn't let him play consistent games anymore. A few others should hopefully follow the same example (Shuey, Nic Nat).

Sad part is, as old as he is, if we were in better shape he’d be perfectly fine to contribute another 12ish games next year to a better version of this side.

Absolutely the right call given where we’re at, but man, we could have nursed him to 350 if we were just not so laughably off the pace right now.

the last of the 1987 class retiring

Im now older than all the players in the afl. i can call them kids now just like my old man would.

But in all seriousness what a player and what a captain a truly sad day hes calling it but it was eventually going to happen

332 games. unbelievable

Remarkably consistent player. I reckon you could count his truly bad games on one hand

It’ll be a long time before the forget those 50+ metre tracer bullets out of defence to a player in space. (As well as those kickins to the right - must’ve been several hundreds of those)

His leadership in the backline will be sorely missed as well as him charging out of D50 to thwart another opposition foray

Club legend

Retiring still a leader and a contributor. If his body was up to it, he could have gone around again. Will leave a huge hole. Hope he goes into coaching, either with us or another club.

an absolute gun and the last of my childhood heroes to retire.

My favourite part of Bunga wasn’t that he was a great player but for that 18 seasons he was also super reliable and one of the last players you’d worry about having a stinker or an off day.

5BB0C91C-CB42-46BC-B345-B797C5113E57.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club great. Will be missed. One of the most reliable players I've ever seen.

Wild to think he played with Drew Banfield, who played in the 1994 Premiership, let alone Cuz, Judd etc

Plenty of players were wearing these Bunga beanies -not sure if they’re new or leftover merch from his 300th

If they are new then his retirement wasn’t exactly a surprise within the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back