Toast Luke Shuey - Retiring End of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the 2017 Elimination Final with a bunch of Port supporters and walked away thinking I couldn't love him any more. Then a year-and-a-bit later, he went and proved me wrong. Loved watching him explode out of stoppages, shimmy past tacklers and slot running goals. It's sad to see him go, but he has made the right call for the club. Hope he stays at the club in some capacity to mentor guys like Hewett and Ginbey.

With Boots calling time it certainly feels like the changing of the guard has gathered unstoppable momentum. Surely Naita nopes out for the good of the club from here.

Maybe I have rose tinted glasses on but I'm feeling really positive about where we are going to be in 2025.

The Kings (of the big game) are dead,
Long live the Kings (of the big game)!

Genuine heart and soul player of the club - this one stings a lot as he came to the club just as I was really starting to get into my footy. He gave everything he had for the football club and retires as one of our greatest midfielders imo. Superstar of the competition and his 2018 GF was one of the best games I've ever seen anyone play.

Gut wrenching that we will never see that Naitanui - Shuey - Kennedy combo again.

Norm :blueheart::yellowheart:

Watching all the 2018 highlights and snippets really makes me wanna cry. Both him and this side are a shadow of what they were.

Been one of my favourites of the modern era. Feel he has been underrated during his career. How did he not get at least one AA jumper?

Bit like Daniel Kerr in getting underrated by the east always thought he was pretty unlucky only getting 1 all Australian, considering he was runner up in the Brownlow twice and 3rd once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

absolute gun, winning the ball and powering out of the stoppage, great kick on either foot. Shame he has been crueled by recent hamstring injuries and couldnt go out on a better note.

Amazing the quality of players gone since 18' Lecras, Kennedy, Sheppard, Hurn and Shuey a real turnover of absolute stars, will be a hard few years.

His skills on both sides of the body was heavily underrated and hardly discussed when they discussed the best in the modern game

He’s looked right up to the level right from the moment he debuted.

Been with us through some of our best and worst times on and off field, but has been such a wonderful part of our club rebuild culturally and such a key part of our success. His GF performance will forever be etched in my memory- as good as a game as you’ll ever see.

Luke, you have been a champion, thanks for everything you have given for our great club.

What a champ he was, tough, determined, gutsy, agile - you always knew he'd give it 110% if he could, I feel he was kind of underappreciated, especially over East. The EF after the siren goal, and Shue starring in the 2018 GF, are among the all time Eagles highlights. Will miss ya Boots, thanks for everything.

Talking on 6PR tonight he said he’d like to stay involved at the club in a development capacity working with the young blokes

We would have worse options to guide the likes of Hewett, Ginbey and Chesser etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back