Toast Shannon Hurn - Retiring End Of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion West Coast Eagles defender Shannon Hurn has today announced that he will retire at the end of this season.

Hurn, one of the most highly decorated players in Eagles history and the games record holder who was arguably best afield in his 332nd appearance on Sunday, told teammates of his decision this morning.

“I love playing the game and I know I’m really going to miss it,” Hurn said today. “But I also know the time is right. People have told me that I would know when this moment arrived and it’s here.

“Unfortunately, you can’t go on forever and it’s time for me to step away.

“It has been a great honour to play for this football club over the last 18 years and I have loved it since the day I arrived. There are life-long friendships and memories that have been created here and I will always be grateful for that.

“There are too many individuals to acknowledge, but I will get to as many of them as possible to thank them personally for the role they have played in my journey.

“Obviously all of my teammates, my two senior coaches – John Worsfold and Adam Simpson – as well as CEO Trevor Nisbett have all been significant. Naturally, my family has always been wonderfully supportive.

“I feel very lucky to have played for as long as I have, always wanting to contribute to the team, but ultimately the game does catch up with you - especially at 35.”

332+ games
50 goals

Eagles games record holder
2 x All Australian
3 x Glendinning medallist
10 x Top Ten Finishes in B+F
Premiership Captain

Love you, Bunga.

IMG_7366.gif

248e7b3b7d09384b00e984d5d67402c4edada4e2-161x229-x87y0w1266h1800.jpg

The first time I heard the name Shannon Hurn was when he hit a six to win the game for the South Australian under 15 team 23 years ago.

Yeah fair to say I didn't think I'd be posting about him in a thread like this all those years later.

A legend of the club.

i'll always remember seeing him in his first year thinking he was josh wooden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barring injury, what was likely to go wrong? Apart from ending up at Hawthorn.

“We had him rated top 10 and we picked him at 13,” Woodhouse said.

“I think Grant Birchall was pick 14. We had those two rated together and talking to Hawthorn’s recruiter John Turnbull, they had the same two blokes. If we picked Bunga they were going to pick Birchall and vice versa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back