Toast Luke Shuey

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Too much disrespect going around this forum for this absolute club legend.

Seeing people question his leadership capabilities, his effort and calling for his head for the last couple of years now.

He puts in more effort than any other player on our list by far, has always stepped up in our big games when others have choked and sacrificed his body and career to play the inside mid role the team needed him to.

Those that trash his leadership abilities need to pull their heads in, how anyone could want McGovern or Yeo who barely look like they're trying half the time over this absolute ******* warrior is beyond me.

2018 Grand Final sums up his career perfectly, on the ropes and needed some one to step up and it was always going to be Luke Shuey.

He’s one more soft tissue injury away from retirement, but the desperation he shows for the footy and the club is unparalleled. People knocking that element of his performances aren’t watching the games.
That's about it.

+'s
Always puts in 100%. A lot of others should take a leaf out of that book.
Good ball user
Still one of (if not the) best mids we have

-'s
Hamstrings
Fragility
Age is not his friend
Lost pace (see age, hamstrings)
Will never be the player he was in 2018 again (see age, hamstrings)
Still one of (if not the) best mids we have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m interested to see how he goes next year (if he goes on) as he has now got a sizeable chunk of consecutive games behind him.

May just be the catalyst for a return to previous output levels.

Sure a good player but on his dollars we need a greater ROI.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute gun gives his all for this footy club week in week out will go out a great, seems fitting that he equals Benny cuz on 238 if this weekend ends up being his last, I hope it’s not tho.

I don't think people are disrespecting Shuey.
He is a champ of the club, champion player and by all accounts a ripper bloke.

That said, He's also been the worst captain the club has had.
His first season in 2019 as captain was excellent.
Since then he's played a total of 36 games over 3 seasons. That's 36 out of 69 possible games (one of those 36 was the final in 2020 the 69 is all H/A games).
Averaging 21 disposals a game over that period (roughly, was avg 18 in 2020, 22 in 2021 and 21 this year).
In the last 2 years he hasn't even been available for round 1.

Everyone on this forum can see fitness and training standards have slipped across the board, all of this is under Shueys watch. As captain he should be leading the standards and pushing the others players to meet them.

Since the season began, take a stab how many times our captain has fronted the media this year? you'd think a bit with us having such a poor year....
TWICE. Just 2 times has he talked as far as I can see from press interviews on the Eagles page. Once in Round 6 and again in Round 8. Since then he has done no press at all.

I love him as a player but as captain of the club he has been absent through injury, poor form on return, leads the club with the poorest standards we have seen for some time at the club and hasn't fronted up to speak to the supporter base enough when it's been a crap-fest of a year.

Since then he's played a total of 36 games over 3 seasons. That's 36 out of 69 possible games (one of those 36 was the final in 2020 the 69 is all H/A games).
Averaging 21 disposals a game over that period (roughly, was avg 18 in 2020, 22 in 2021 and 21 this year).

Everyone on this forum can see fitness and training standards have slipped across the board, all of this is under Shueys watch. As captain he should be leading the standards and pushing the others players to meet them.

Since the season began, take a stab how many times our captain has fronted the media this year? you'd think a bit with us having such a poor year....
TWICE. Just 2 times has he talked as far as I can see from press interviews on the Eagles page. Once in Round 6 and again in Round 8. Since then he has done no press at all.

I love him as a player but as captain of the club he has been absent through injury, poor form on return, leads the club with the poorest standards we have seen for some time at the club and hasn't fronted up to speak to the supporter base enough when it's been a crap-fest of a year.
How much press did bung used to do, about as much as Shuey I'd say.

Interesting to see what happens next year.

From the looks of it shuey, redden, hurn and nic will all go on for at least another year. Which seems like mixed messaging as keeping everyone over 32 screams opposite of a rebuild...eventhough the club has stated we're in a rebuild.

My biggest concern is simmo will go with the same old (again) next year.

The only way i can see this working is if the older guys accept they will be played out of position and even WAFL next year.

Time waits for no man. Shuey is a victim of his failing body not his indomitable will and unfortunately Yeo appears to be treading the same path.

The only reason Shuey will go on is because of the utter wasteland of 24-26 year old talent in the list. Value in mentorship and setting standards if he can stay out of the rehab group and the MC can resist the urge to try and use him as a prime mover in the engine room.

The MC seemed determined this year to run our senior players into the ground when they had obvious fitness and injury issues. Not sure what the point was tbh.

Since then he's played a total of 36 games over 3 seasons. That's 36 out of 69 possible games (one of those 36 was the final in 2020 the 69 is all H/A games)

Shuey’s first season as captain was 2020 not 2019.

How did we play 69 H/A games in 3 seasons (2020, 2021 and 2022)? No team can play 69 H/A games in 3 seasons. This season is not even finished yet. We did not play finals in 2021 and 2020 was a shortened season. For the record, Shuey played 36 out of 61 possible games in 3 seasons.

Hurn was Captain in 2019

Shuey still has the hunt and effort, but his body is cooked. He can't keep up with other players now and can't apply enough pressure on transition. We could potentially play him on HFF, but that's also a position that requires a lot of pressure and good closing speed. I'd prefer that he bow out this year with his head held high, rather than going one year too many and becoming second-rate

Shuey’s first season as captain was 2020 not 2019.

How did we play 69 H/A games in 3 seasons (2020, 2021 and 2022)? No team can play 69 H/A games in 3 seasons. This season is not even finished yet. We did not play finals in 2021 and 2020 was a shortened season. For the record, Shuey played 36 out of 61 possible games in 3 seasons.

eh, maths isn't my strong suit. i just took a 23 round season and times'd by 3.
Forgot 2020 was shortened.
Ahh he was appointed end of 2019. either way 2019 was his last real good season.

post the glory era of the terrible trio in the mid 00s Shuey has been the most reliable and likeable player to watch on our list and deserves to be ranked right up there with the best eagles of all time.

I hope he goes again. Huuuge man crush on this guy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back