Luke Shuey - Where Does He Rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Following on from my wildly popular Nic Naitanui discussion, I’d like to enquire about the captain - Luke Shuey.

Just generally, where do you feel he ranks in our best ever inside midfielder discussions?

I doubt too many people will argue Chris Judd occupies that top spot - he was such a special player.
After Juddy though, it gets harder.
I lazily did a few comparisons. Statistically, Shuey averages better than Kerr, slightly more than Cousins, and way more than say… Michael Braun. Slightly less than Matt Priddis

I could go back further and look at the older champions if anyone feels they have a worthy suggestion, acknowledging statistically it was a different game.

Tom Swift thread next as we work through the 2008 draft class.

Grand Final display was second to none in club history. Obviously not on Judd’s level but arguably hasn’t had the support Judd did (although the Yeo/Shuey pairing on its day was untouchable).

He’s not Judd, he’s not Cousins. I think there’s arguments he’s above Kerr, maybe just below? But that seems like his tier to me of the 2000s mids. Above the Embley’s and Braun’s and Priddis’ of the world to me.

Rounds out the Top Five with Matera and the 2006 trio, I think. Maybe Kemp gets him but I didn’t see enough of him as a mid to say. Top five or six.

It's a hard one.
We've had Judd, Cousins, Matera, Kerr, Embley, Kemp & Mainwaring have incredibly decorated careers at the club.

He probably ranks just below them in my opinion, along side Priddis, Yep & Gaff. Very good, but not a superstar of the AFL like those others were.
This was my line of thought, but colleagues who are older than me (I’m 32) swore black and blue Shuey was better than Embley, Braun and Mainy which had me doubting my childhood recollection

Tom Swift thread next as we work through the 2008 draft class.

Grand Final display was second to none in club history. Obviously not on Judd’s level but arguably hasn’t had the support Judd did (although the Yeo/Shuey pairing on its day was untouchable).

He’s not Judd, he’s not Cousins. I think there’s arguments he’s above Kerr, maybe just below? But that seems like his tier to me of the 2000s mids. Above the Embley’s and Braun’s and Priddis’ of the world to me.

Rounds out the Top Five with Matera and the 2006 trio, I think. Maybe Kemp gets him but I didn’t see enough of him as a mid to say. Top five or six.
Sorry Badge, I’m laughing at the Tom Swift part, not the post.

I reckon you’re spot on. If Shuey’s having an on day then he’s up and around the top, but those days are few and far between which drops him down into the perfectly respectable mid tier.

I have him and Embley on similar plains, both, when on, were very damaging but could go periods of pedestrian - the difference was the peak 06 side could push through - when Shuey struggles we often do too

Mop you need to log back in, Gunnar has hacked your account
You’re all campaigners

100 reacts and I’ll change my name to Gunnar2Keys

Sorry Badge, I’m laughing at the Tom Swift part, not the post.

I reckon you’re spot on. If Shuey’s having an on day then he’s up and around the top, but those days are few and far between which drops him down into the perfectly respectable mid tier.

I have him and Embley on similar plains, both, when on, were very damaging but could go periods of pedestrian - the difference was the peak 06 side could push through - when Shuey struggles we often do too
Agreed on the final part, but Shuey has been the #1 option for the vast majority of his career, while Embley was the #4 option on most days.

Does Judd/Cousins/Kerr/Shuey run better than Embley/Yeo/Redden/Gaff? Doesn’t undermine any of the success of the 06 team’s ‘depth’, but prime Shuey with the fourth most defensive attention is an idea I’d have loved to explore.

Agreed on the final part, but Shuey has been the #1 option for the vast majority of his career, while Embley was the #4 option on most days.

Does Judd/Cousins/Kerr/Shuey run better than Embley/Yeo/Redden/Gaff? Doesn’t undermine any of the success of the 06 team’s ‘depth’, but prime Shuey with the fourth most defensive attention is an idea I’d have loved to explore.
Swap Prime Shuey into 06 and Prime Embley into now and ultimately I reckon Shuey improves greatly but Embley remains the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behind Cousins, Judd, Matera, Kemp, Kerr.

Just above a few others. I feel like some severely underrate just how good some of our earlier midfielders / utilities were.
I agree with this,
But for you - Embley or Shuey?

Shueys nowhere near Kerr.

Kerr finished second twice in the brownlow in a Judd/ Cousins/Cox midfield.

Been a great player and clubman for us but realistically outside of the odd amazing performance just hasn't had the consistency to be considered in our upper echelon.

Well he wouldn’t make out all time Best 22 would he?

His best footy was amazing, but we never really saw it for long periods of time.

Injury plagued early days and a cursed captain.

I’ll add to that - I don’t think he makes our Best 22 - I think, at best, a dedicated Shuehead might try and sneak him onto the bench.

Does he make our 40 for 40 list in 2026?

*I realise the 40 for 40 thing isn’t a real list yet, but everyone knows it’s better than doing another Best 22

Well he wouldn’t make out all time Best 22 would he?

His best footy was amazing, but we never really saw it for long periods of time.

Injury plagued early days and a cursed captain.

I wouldn't have him in an all-time best 22.

From our current team (RIP JK), Hurn, Gov, Nic Nat and Darling are our best bets (so far, Ginbey, Hewett, Chesser, Long and Allen are all locks going forward :moustache:).

Shueys nowhere near Kerr.

Kerr finished second twice in the brownlow in a Judd/ Cousins/Cox midfield.

Been a great player and clubman for us but realistically outside of the odd amazing performance just hasn't had the consistency to be considered in our upper echelon.
You could arguably say Kerr didn't show enough consistently. He had a period in 05 to 07 where he was elite but either side of that he had his down periods especially after 07. I actually think they both had similar careers in a way.

I'd have Shuey just scraping into the top 10 group of midfielders.

Judd, Cousins, Matera, Kemp, Kerr and Priddis would be classed as our top elite group of players.

Yeo, Mainy, Shuey and Turley would be the remaining players in my top 10.

You can make a case for each of Pyke (Club Champ), Banfield (Club Champ), Embley (Normy) and Fletcher (AA) who were unlucky to miss the T10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back