Moved Thread Malthouse almost imploded with rage during interview.

Ollie 22

Debutant
Jul 25, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Could definitely understand the emotion from Mick but thought he was a bit disrespectful of Richo, did anyone else here Robbo have a big go at him on harf-time the other day?

forwardflanker

Cancelled
Apr 3, 2006
Luxemburg
AFL Club
Collingwood
MM show grow up and just except that he was made redundant by the biggest club in the country. There's no shame in being head coach of a mid tier club like Carlton, any assistant would jump at that opportunity. He needs to stop being disappointed with humanity imo

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
MM show grow up and just except that he was made redundant by the biggest club in the country. There's no shame in being head coach of a mid tier club like Carlton, any assistant would jump at that opportunity. He needs to stop being disappointed with humanity imo

He coached your mid-tier players to a premiership, how is the bloke that replaced him travelling?

forwardflanker

Cancelled
Apr 3, 2006
Luxemburg
AFL Club
Collingwood
He coached your mid-tier players to a premiership, how is the bloke that replaced him travelling?
Well he is yet to become disappointed with humanity as far as I can determine.

There's no place at the pies for sooks and MM is the biggest one in the AFL imo

Chewy

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 16, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't fine a bloke just because they're disappointed with humanity imo

If Malthouse doesn't get fined for bagging the umps during his press conference, then it would be unfair of the AFL to fine anyone else this year. He moaned about the umpiring for at least three whole minutes without any of the assembled press being able to get a question in edgeways.

Alastair Clarkson was fined $5,000 once for sarcastically saying about one particular umpire "Oh, he's a ripper." Grant Thomas was fined $15,000 for saying that umpires need to leave their egos in the locker.

Mick was far more extensive with his criticism - he moaned about Murphy not getting a free kick. He moaned several times about the free kick count. he said was "bemused" and "bamboozled" by the umpiring. He whinged about the "holding the ball" free kicks which Carlton didn't get.

For a long time, the coaches have had to camouflage their criticism of umps to avoid the fine and say things like "I have ABSOLUTELY no comment to make about the umpires. You saw the game. You write it." Or they'll say "I think we might be confused about some of the interpetations, so I'll be seeking clarification from Jeff Gieschen on Monday about a few things".

There was no attempt to veil his criticism. It was as though he thought, "Bugger it... I'm so angry right now, I'm prepared to cop a fine." It appears as though the AFL have gone a bit soft in 2013 with the new Operations Manager, Mark Evans still finding his way in the job. Chris Scott, Joel Selwood, Paul Chapman and others all had a bit to say about the decision to suspend Kelly, whereas in the past, it was always a no-go zone for clubs to comment on these sorts of things.

forwardflanker

Cancelled
Apr 3, 2006
Luxemburg
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Malthouse doesn't get fined for bagging the umps during his press conference, then it would be unfair of the AFL to fine anyone else this year. He moaned about the umpiring for at least three whole minutes without any of the assembled press being able to get a question in edgeways.

Alastair Clarkson was fined $5,000 once for sarcastically saying about one particular umpire "Oh, he's a ripper." Grant Thomas was fined $15,000 for saying that umpires need to leave their egos in the locker.

Mick was far more extensive with his criticism - he moaned about Murphy not getting a free kick. He moaned several times about the free kick count. he said was "bemused" and "bamboozled" by the umpiring. He whinged about the "holding the ball" free kicks which Carlton didn't get.

For a long time, the coaches have had to camouflage their criticism of umps to avoid the fine and say things like "I have ABSOLUTELY no comment to make about the umpires. You saw the game. You write it." Or they'll say "I think we might be confused about some of the interpetations, so I'll be seeking clarification from Jeff Gieschen on Monday about a few things".

There was no attempt to veil his criticism. It was as though he thought, "Bugger it... I'm so angry right now, I'm prepared to cop a fine." It appears as though the AFL have gone a bit soft in 2013 with the new Operations Manager, Mark Evans still finding his way in the job. Chris Scott, Joel Selwood, Paul Chapman and others all had a bit to say about the decision to suspend Kelly, whereas in the past, it was always a no-go zone for clubs to comment on these sorts of things.
+1

it definitely looks to be a case of one set of rules for MM, and another for all the other coaches in the AFL. I mean what kind of example does it set for all of us? If MM continues to get away with this type of unprofessional and intimidatory conduct then the AFL has effectively authorized the creation of a bullies charter for all workplaces around Australia

I watched this live and kept rewinding over Richo's sheepish smirk when he thought he was off-camera. Left no doubt as to what Richo thinks of Mick.

I actually thought it was more of any eye roll and amusement from from Richo rather than the 'tongue lashing' and 'embarassment' that it caused Richo that blue supporters allude to.

I watched this live and kept rewinding over Richo's sheepish smirk when he thought he was off-camera. Left no doubt as to what Richo thinks of Mick.
I actually thought it was more of any eye roll and amusement from from Richo rather than the 'tongue lashing' and 'embarassment' that it caused Richo that blue supporters allude to.

I actually thought it was more like this:

1310566609761.jpg

I'm sure if Essendon were playing West Coast and a West Coast doctor who was on the ground for unknown reasons was dressed in black and mistaken for a player, twice, you would be upset.

I'd be angry at my player for kicking to a person wearing pants.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm not a mick fan but funny post - talk of ego - Richo's ego on the field?

Richo's backslapping wankfest with BT and the crew on a Sat night? Egotistical tossers the lot of them.

They're both in the AFL industry - like most their egos are enormous.
Richo actually goes against most of what BT says so hardly back slapping, at times Mick needs to grow up a little without the people he derides in the media he wouldn't have this cushy pre retirement job earning all the dollars that he obviously enjoys.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham

Not just in 2013, they were soft on it in the 2nd half of 2012. Murphy and Laidler both got fined for comments on twitter about the umpiring in the WC v Carl game last year when they were out injured.

A number of North players tweeted about Ziebell's suspension a couple of weeks later and didn't even get a please explain from the AFL.

Back