Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
hey mick.

want those coaching juices flowing freely agian soon?

want a young group of future suprstarts to work with. want better weather for your creeking bones?

mick malthouse; gold coast alf football fans want you as coach...effective immediately!

hey mick.

want a young group of future suprstarts to work with. want better weather for your creeking bones?

mick malthouse; gold coast alf football fans want you as coach...effective immediately!

has already said he wouldn't cut Bluey's lunch...but I wonder if he'd coach in tandem with McKenna like Sheeds and Chocco at GWS

hey mick.

Not a fan of Bluey McKenna??

hey mick.

Wow, the knives are out already. Pity you are slashing away at the wrong bloke. It was the playing group that stuffed it up yesterday not the Coach.

Love these "Supporters" that feel the need to sack the coach when a bad loss happens. If that were to happen you would have a new coach every 6 months!

Did you see our two previous games?

Rubbish thread!

Wow, the knives are out already. Pity you are slashing away at the wrong bloke. It was the playing group that stuffed it up yesterday not the Coach.

Love these "Supporters" that feel the need to sack the coach when a bad loss happens. If that were to happen you would have a new coach every 6 months!

Rubbish thread!

I agree, its the players. I would rather go to drastic measures in tearing up a few particular players contracts, than tearing our coaches contract at the moment.

Mick is a fantastic coach though. He has a proven track record of building incredibly strong teams from virtually nothing. Two of the greatest teams in the last twenty years have been built by Malthouse from humble beginnings in the current Collingwood team and the 1990s West Coast team. I am not saying Bluey is a bad coach, but getting a coach like Malthouse would be a massive boon for the club.

He would only come on if Bluey asked him. Has already said he wouldn´t be interested. Bluey after all is his protege´

Mind you, maybe Bluey sees the writing on the wall and is already thinking about it in order to shore up his position. I wouldn´t be surprised at all if Bluey calls Mick and asks him to help out.

In any case I don´t think coaching is the biggest problem. Its your lack of senior players. Apart from Ablett and maybe Hunt, noone has fired a short from your senior guys. Its the main reason you lost yesterday - look at what GWS got out of Cornes, Power, Ward, Giles, Scully, Davis, Palmer.

Compare that to how Brown, Brennan, Rischa went for you guys. No contest.

GWS had senior leaders all over the ground. You had one. Its exactly the same problem that Melbourne are facing.

You need to get more senior players in. Maybe follow GWS and pick up a couple of older guys in free agency.

Its your lack of senior players. Apart from Ablett and maybe Hunt, noone has fired a short from your senior guys.

decent post but invalidated by the fact that most of us had Sam Iles as BOG for us and Warnock in or around our best
Stanley will be back soon
Also missing Bock and Harbrow hasn't helped as they have been super for us.
No-one is arguing about Brown
Riska is almost certainly playing with an injury
Brennan is a polarising player ;)
I wouldn't be looking for too many more players looking for the Sunshine State Retirement Plan

I've said it for a long time, I like Bluey, he seems to have good rapport with the players...I just don't trust him on matchday.

• Banned
Wow, the knives are out already.

Rubbish thread!

it may be a bit rough on the coach. id love to get malthouse involved in some capacity. no one coulddeny that?

but if we were looking to get an idea of where we areat this point, and how the boys face up to an equal challenge, then we just got it, and the report card aint good.

GC played well in spurts. but they were beaten by a side that had wanted it more. we had the experience for a change, yet we were outplayed.

brennan again failed. he had an open goal at the last quarter, just before GWS went on their scoring spree. brennan tried to pick up the ball instead of toe it through. 30 seconds later, GWS went on a goal scoring glut. that was the turning point....brennans failed opportunity. had he toed that goal after all that preasure weapplied, we may have riden a wave home.

as it turned out, GWS gained confidence from defending so well and replied magnificently. hats off to them.

brennan is a dud. as the lions found out.

Rubbish thread!

Sorry thought Bluey picked the team. You can only play with what and whom are out there. Injured players, duds and kids not up to it is his responsibility.
I saw the past few games and I also saw the players getting injured and dragging their chain yet they are still in. McKenzie is still not right, Risch has not be right all season, Swallow, call it a cork but think there is more happening there. Brown continually lets us down and Brennan can't ever do the team thing. I do not believe we need to sack the coach but he needs to step up and scrap his way of thinking and look at GWS and see how they have managed to overtake us in 7 matches.

hey mick.

Don't speak for us, In Bluey We Trust.

Sorry thought Bluey picked the team. You can only play with what and whom are out there. Injured players, duds and kids not up to it is his responsibility.
I saw the past few games and I also saw the players getting injured and dragging their chain yet they are still in. McKenzie is still not right, Risch has not be right all season, Swallow, call it a cork but think there is more happening there. Brown continually lets us down and Brennan can't ever do the team thing. I do not believe we need to sack the coach but he needs to step up and scrap his way of thinking and look at GWS and see how they have managed to overtake us in 7 matches.

The last sentence says it all, GWS have overtaken us and that should be of concern to us all. We came up against a newly formed side that showed us up, they were better drilled and just as strong physically in both these. Cases this should not be the case. Time to look in the mirror as we are not on the right path

The last sentence says it all, GWS have overtaken us and that should be of concern to us all. We came up against a newly formed side that showed us up, they were better drilled and just as strong physically in both these. Cases this should not be the case. Time to look in the mirror as we are not on the right path

coaching. look who GWS has....look who we have. look at the result.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not convinced its the coaching at this point...yeah, i'm on the Bluey blow torch this season...but, really...for me, Saturday was all about the groups mental approach compared to the opposition. One team wanted it more...waaaaay more...and that's the most disappointing thing. It's a trait we need to get sorted immediately.

Having said that...if there is one thing that has to be commented on re 'coaching' I have to question team selection in 'playing' our previously injured....regardless of how many times it was stressed prior, that a loss to GWS would not matter too much in the whole scheme of things...naming and playing Spitter, Rischa, Canon and even Gaz indicates that this game most certainly DID matter....

In the modern day, perhaps it is our employed medicos who are signing off that these players are right to play?

Bluey no doubt gets a report on injuries from medicos, and obviously there is a tick or a cross next to their name. The whole when in doubt rule them out comes to mind, but if they are being signed off on as being healthy then who should we be pointing fingers at?

The club would be crazy not to pursue someone like Malthouse. He would be a massive boost for the club. If they can get a Malthouse, or even an Eade or Williams type, then I would support a change of coach. I would be less keen, depending on how GC go for the rest of the season, to replace Bluey with just another inexperienced coach.

To me it seems that a good coach makes a big difference. Look at Essendon under Hird compared to Essendon under Knights. Maybe even if GC did have Malthouse as a coach, our performances would have been just as bad, but somehow I kind of doubt it.

The club would be crazy not to pursue someone like Malthouse. He would be a massive boost for the club. If they can get a Malthouse, or even an Eade or Williams type, then I would support a change of coach. I would be less keen, depending on how GC go for the rest of the season, to replace Bluey with just another inexperienced coach.

Its too late now anyway, the young fellas have a good rapport with Bluey. We have sack their "dad" basically.

Its too late now anyway, the young fellas have a good rapport with Bluey. We have sack their "dad" basically.
and that's a bad thing?

Anyone that's seen Friday Night Lights can attest to the things young men will do for Coach Father Figures.

I'll say it once more, We don't need Malthouse and we don't need Roo's - We need Bluey atleast until 3-4 years in before we start seeing the results that the Bluey bashers want.

and that's a bad thing?

Anyone that's seen Friday Night Lights can attest to the things young men will do for Coach Father Figures.

I'll say it once more, We don't need Malthouse and we don't need Roo's - We need Bluey atleast until 3-4 years in before we start seeing the results that the Bluey bashers want.

No I agree, I want bluey to stay. I'm in the pro bluey camp, I think he needs at least 4-5 year stint with the young brigade to net any result.

No I agree, I want bluey to stay. I'm in the pro bluey camp, I think he needs at least 4-5 year stint with the young brigade to net any result.
Ah, Was trying to figure out what you meant by the post above mine but it's good to know that your in the pro Bluey camp.

If only there were 9-11k more of us...

give me a preven elite coach before an inexperienced coach any day.

a coach with the proven record of malthouse leaves a trail of about 50 failed coaches behind him. it is likely 'bluey' will be just another of those failed coaches in a few years. malthouse will still be malthouse, and an opportunity lost.

the GC is a graveyard for sporting teams. especially FAILED sporting teams. why the GC board went for an inexperienced coach, i'll never know.

you can build a successful club around malthouse and the success he would guarantee. why that wasnt written into the business plan i'll never know.

GWS wrote it into theirs.....see the result???

re 'coaching' I have to question team selection in 'playing' our previously injured....regardless of how many times it was stressed prior, that a loss to GWS would not matter too much in the whole scheme of things...naming and playing Spitter, Rischa, Canon and even Gaz indicates that this game most certainly DID matter....

swallow played injured. he is now out for 6 weeks.

i know a coach like wayne bennett wouldnt have risked a young player like swallow, even if it was an origin match. bennett protected his injured players from themselves. they are brave to the point of doing further injury. i have no doubt malthouse is of the same cut.

coaches are significant on so many levels. thats what sets the good ones from the rest. between them is daylight.

its been spoken about. i wonder if thecall has been made?

Suns chase Malthouse for 2012

September 21st, 2011

SUNS coach Guy McKenna will launch a bid to reunite with his long-time mentor and departing Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse on the Gold Coast next year.

The three-time premiership coach is in his last season as Magpies coach and will move into a position as the club's director of coaching when Nathan Buckley takes the coaching reins.
But it looks increasingly likely that Malthouse will leave Collingwood and step away from the senior coaching ranks for one year before re-entering the fray.

The Suns are set to pounce, with McKenna keen to again team up with Malthouse, who he shared great success with at West Coast during the 1990s, before linking up at the Magpies as an assistant coach for five seasons.

McKenna would love the chance to draw on Malthouse's vast experience and wisdom, if even only for one year.
Malthouse would fill the role of senior assistant in a similar model to the James Hird and Mark Thompson partnership at Essendon.
When asked if he will make the call to Malthouse, McKenna said: ''I certainly would ... it is a lovely place up here on the Gold Coast and a nice place to recharge your batteries.

''We stay in contact so we won't be too far off a phone call.''
McKenna said it was a certainly a tantalising prospect for the Suns.
''(Mick having) 12 months off (senior coaching) sitting up here ... it would be good,'' McKenna said.

''Although knowing Mick he would be sitting up here gathering as much information so when he does coach the following year he would be pinching players and staff.
''I dare say there is a lot of dust to settle on Mick and his decision, but he is obviously at the top of his game.''
McKenna said there was no doubt in his mind that Malthouse had a lot of good coaching left in him.

''I would think if he is not at Collingwood and, although I don't know, if he has made a pact with (his wife) Nanette to have 12 months off and recharge the batteries, then look out,'' he said.
''We have seen that with Leigh Matthews ... I know he was a bit younger but he has had time off and then came back and coached.''
It is well known the pair are very close and McKenna said the

Collingwood coaching agreement in place was certainly unique.
''Potentially they (Collingwood) are going to win two premierships in a row and if they don't win, does it soften it?'' McKenna said.
''Who knows, bcause then people may think it is a smart decision all of a sudden.
''All I will say is he is certainly at the top of his game and he has Collingwood in a very healthy position.''

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/09/21/351005_gold-coast-afl.html

suns should throw everything they have at getting malthouse on board. mckenna needs the help.

whats worrying is malthouse has an interest in melbourne also..
Malthouse, who acts as a mentor to Neeld, having nurtured his coaching career at Collingwood, fears the first-year coach could become consumed by the team's mounting deficiencies, and risks losing what little ground the Demons have made in the first eight rounds.

The 0-8 start has prompted Malthouse and Melbourne's director of sports performance, Neil Craig, to rate Neeld's first eight weeks in the senior job as the toughest any AFL coach as endured.

we want him. not the dees. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back