Manchester United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could do an inter and get him on loan and pay a third of his wages but the biggest question is, is he any good? Missed a lot of game time which is a worry.

If fit he is still world class. If fit is the big thing.

Still think we should have put in serious consideration for Willian, having him go to Arsenal is very frustrating.

I'm glad we didn't. Three year deal would be madness.

Still think we should have put in serious consideration for Willian, having him go to Arsenal is very frustrating.

We need to invest in the best youth & the future....No more quickee fixes.....They don't work.

The Sanchez farce/lesson really ought to have sunk in by now on that score.

We need to invest in the best youth & the future....No more quickee fixes.....They don't work.

The Sanchez farce/lesson really ought to have sunk in by now on that score.
You know, you can do both. That is an option. Willian would have been a free transfer, so no capital wasted and we need some quality on the right.

You know, you can do both. That is an option. Willian would have been a free transfer, so no capital wasted and we need some quality on the right.

Fair point on the cheap option, but I still see it as a stop-gap solution.

We need to be looking to develop or bring in a kid long-term for this position.

Fair point on the cheap option, but I still see it as a stop-gap solution.

We need to be looking to develop or bring in a kid long-term for this position.
And I'm all for that, but what do we lose from having 3 years of Willian?

First year: 25-30 starts across all competitions, 15-20 bench games
Second year: FA/League Cup starter, Europe/Premier League bench option
Third year: Bench option across all competitions with a few starts

Whilst we bring in the young player to do the reverse.

IF we were to make the finals in all competitions next season that's 61 games. Having his sort of quality whilst Greenwood develops is a handy thing to have.

And I'm all for that, but what do we lose from having 3 years of Willian?

First year: 25-30 starts across all competitions, 15-20 bench games
Second year: FA/League Cup starter, Europe/Premier League bench option
Third year: Bench option across all competitions with a few starts

Whilst we bring in the young player to do the reverse.

IF we were to make the finals in all competitions next season that's 61 games. Having his sort of quality whilst Greenwood develops is a handy thing to have.

I like to imagine there's another Greenwood & Williams out there just needing an opportunity....Willian's signing would block & thwart that development.

I like to imagine there's another Greenwood & Williams out there just needing an opportunity....Willian's signing would block & thwart that development.
Would it though? Greenwood played 48 games this season, and about half of those were coming off the bench. Signing Willian would allow the kid to play more games as a bench player without getting burnt out by starting too often. Greenwood averaged 51 minutes this year, around the right mark for someone his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After all the things you say about having patience and time with managers kind of contradicting yourself there.

Different ball-game & context entirely.

We ought to have all our targets lined-up & in-play by the end of the EPL season....assuming we're still a professional sporting organisation.

Building a squad, a system & long-term success is the bit that takes time & patience.,,,But I reckon you already know this.

Different ball-game & context entirely.

We ought to have all our targets lined-up & in-play by the end of the EPL season....assuming we're still a professional sporting organisation.

Building a squad, a system & long-term success is the bit that takes time & patience.,,,But I reckon you already know this.
We haven't been a professional organisation since Woodward came in.

Long as we make the right signings I won't complain.

Quite a lot of teams haven't made any signings and the market is still very young, but I agree we can't be sitting back and spending two months on players, we need all our signings sooner rather than later.

This is such an important market, as important as a few years back after Mou had us finishing second and Woody bottled it. It's clear what we need.

Only positions we need to fill yes a RW, a decent CB (which we should probably splash the cash on) and maybe another CAM unless we extend mata.

Need a serious look at our depth and needs to be noted that Ignalo leaves in January.

Garner and Chong look to be heading out on loan which is good, if we did that with Gomes he wouldn't have left.

Need a serious look at our depth and needs to be noted that Ignalo leaves in January.

Garner and Chong look to be heading out on loan which is good, if we did that with Gomes he wouldn't have left.
I think ole wants to use the depth to the youth not a bad thing but experience does play a factor.

Last edited:
I think ole wants to use the depth to the youth not a bad thing but experience does play a fact.

We need experience if we want to challenge.

We need experience if we want to challenge.
Not sure about anyone here but I'd get Thiago since he'll be a free agent, 29 experience with big clubs and UCL can't hurt just to pay his wages.

Not sure about anyone here but I'd get Thiago since he'll be a free agent, 29 experience with big clubs and UCL can't hurt just to pay his wages.

Thiago isn't a free agent. Has one or two years left. He has requested to leave. And yes I'd be all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back