Manchester United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd still be bitching & moaning if it we're the other way round.

What part of what I said is 'bitching and moaning'? I'm just correcting you that he does have other options. I mean surely you even agree that we should be promoting the talented youth we have over players that are simply not good enough.

Pereira and Lingard are just poor, crappy nothing footballers, and not the quality that this club expects. When surrounded by talent they can do the odd thing that makes them look good but when asked to carry the midfield load they are shown to be the pox we all know they are. However, and despite this, I think their selection against Club Brugge was a good move. Why? Well, one, Fred and Fernandez need to be managed during what is a hectic period. Save their tickets. Periera and Lingard are far better options in the middle on a cold, wet park in Belgium against their league leaders, in a game in which we need a result, than Chong, Garner or Gomes because they are far less likely to be bullied by seasoned professionals. A 1-1 is a good result considering the lack of quality given Brugge now have to score at OT, thus opening the game up at bit. Lose last night and they could just sit back and soak up the pressure given United's terrible form at home when needing to score.

Pereira and Lingard are just poor, crappy nothing footballers, and not the quality that this club expects. When surrounded by talent they can do the odd thing that makes them look good but when asked to carry the midfield load they are shown to be the pox we all know they are. However, and despite this, I think their selection against Club Brugge was a good move. Why? Well, one, Fred and Fernandez need to be managed during what is a hectic period. Save their tickets. Periera and Lingard are far better options in the middle on a cold, wet park in Belgium against their league leaders, in a game in which we need a result, than Chong, Garner or Gomes because they are far less likely to be bullied by seasoned professionals. A 1-1 is a good result considering the lack of quality given Brugge now have to score at OT, thus opening the game up at bit. Lose last night and they could just sit back and soak up the pressure given United's terrible form at home when needing to score.

Yep....Precisely what I meant by damage limitation....We can afford to play them on the counter now.

Periera and Lingard are far better options in the middle on a cold, wet park in Belgium against their league leaders, in a game in which we need a result, than Chong, Garner or Gomes because they are far less likely to be bullied by seasoned professionals.

This is such a great point. I can understand the frustrations of fans when we're seeing players who we know aren't good enough being given games ahead of promising young players, because with the youth there's still some optimism that they can do a job. I think as fans a lot of us are guilty of overrating the impact youth can have. I mean, it was only 2-3 years a go that we were all desperate for Pereira to be given his chance and were dreading the thought of losing him due to a lack of opportunity. Now we've come full circle on that one and he had shown way more promise at youth level than Garner or Chong have.

I just can't understand how anyone can rationally think that this selection is a poor reflection on Ole. There is not a manager in the world who would have thrown a couple of kids with less than 10 senior games between them into the deep end in a European knock out tie away from home. That's just insane.

I rate Garner as a prospect but he's not ready to make that step up and will probably need a few loan stints under his belt before he'll be ready. Even then there's still no guarantee that he'll be up to it at this level. I don't rate Chong at all TBH and I'm very confident that we won't miss him. There's no denying Gomes will be a loss though.

This is such a great point. I can understand the frustrations of fans when we're seeing players who we know aren't good enough being given games ahead of promising young players, because with the youth there's still some optimism that they can do a job. I think as fans a lot of us are guilty of overrating the impact youth can have. I mean, it was only 2-3 years a go that we were all desperate for Pereira to be given his chance and were dreading the thought of losing him due to a lack of opportunity. Now we've come full circle on that one and he had shown way more promise at youth level than Garner or Chong have.

I just can't understand how anyone can rationally think that this selection is a poor reflection on Ole. There is not a manager in the world who would have thrown a couple of kids with less than 10 senior games between them into the deep end in a European knock out tie away from home. That's just insane.

I rate Garner as a prospect but he's not ready to make that step up and will probably need a few loan stints under his belt before he'll be ready. Even then there's still no guarantee that he'll be up to it at this level. I don't rate Chong at all TBH and I'm very confident that we won't miss him. There's no denying Gomes will be a loss though.

It 100% is a poor reflection on Ole. At this stage of the season those three players should have played more games, so when it comes to an away fixture in Europa they don't look out of place.

It 100% is a poor reflection on Ole. At this stage of the season those three players should have played more games, so when it comes to an away fixture in Europa they don't look out of place.

Dude...You & other posters in here attempts to place all the blame for our current issues on Ole, is verging on the irrational.

Dude...You & other posters in here attempts to place all the blame for our current issues on Ole, is verging on the irrational.

Yeah I'm the irrational one.

I think you're really underestimating just how hard it is to make that step up from youth football to playing senior football, let alone for a club the size of Manchester United. I would have liked to see more of Garner as well but when I have seen him he hasn't looked ready yet IMO and I think it will be a fair while before we can realistically expect him to be able to perform against men in a European away fixture. I like him though, Levitt looks a decent prospect as well but I think they're both going to need loan spells before we can consider them as viable first team options.

I think you're really underestimating just how hard it is to make that step up from youth football to playing senior football, let alone for a club the size of Manchester United. I would have liked to see more of Garner as well but when I have seen him he hasn't looked ready yet IMO and I think it will be a fair while before we can realistically expect him to be able to perform against men in a European away fixture. I like him though, Levitt looks a decent prospect as well but I think they're both going to need loan spells before we can consider them as viable first team options.

It's called giving play time. Look at Williams. Now basically a starter. Simple fact is they haven't been given nearly enough time on the pitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Williams IS good enough & it's Ole that's given him the minutes.:drunk:

They are good enough. They all should have received more minutes this season. Now we're on the verge of losing two. I can assure you most United fans would prefer to see these kids given a shot then watch Lingard and co still getting game time.

I have no interest in explaining that to you any further.

They are good enough. They all should have received more minutes this season. Now we're on the verge of losing two. I can assure you most United fans would prefer to see these kids given a shot then watch Lingard and co still getting game time.

I have no interest in explaining that to you any further.

You've already had it explained to you by 2 posters who actually have a clue, why Ole played the senior lads in Belgium.

This wannabe guru act of yours is wearing a tad thin.

You've already had it explained to you by 2 posters who actually have a clue, why Ole played the senior lads in Belgium.

This wannabe guru act of yours is wearing a tad thin.

I back my own thoughts and knowledge against them. Good day sir.

I back my own thoughts and knowledge against them. Good day sir.

I reckon that goes without saying….Time to unredact Kyle.

Anyone who thinks Lingard is a better option than a talented youth player like the ones mentioned needs to have a good hard look at themselves. May as well play with 10.

Lingard is the current whipping-boy....Once he's gone, it'll be someone else.

Nice comfortable win in the end. Felt like the lads played with a bit of freedom that I really haven't seen since the glory days of Ole's honeymoon period as caretaker haha

Like what he has done with Shaw too. Looks quite suited to LCB in a 3. Greenwood continues to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back