Manchester United Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Also changes to the playing squad if you're going to axe the manager at least 2 thirds of the squad need to * off.

They're useless.

Every manager has a first year bounce then second year collapse it's the same story.

Sick of this player empowerment crap that the old group have gifted them basically running the club because they know they're sticking around longer than the manager that is the core problem of this club.

Sure but ETH is actually a very average manager, out of his depth.

I think behind closed doors INEOS are looking at their own guy, and I sense ETH knows he’s time is almost up, he looks absolutely defeated as every manager post SAF has looked, this job eats you alive!!!

It’s quite s**t that 3 years ago, United & Arsenal were in pretty similar positions, both languishing as a 4-7th team, playing pretty average football and the squad just not very good. 3 years later and Arsenal are in back to back title races playing superb football and I think there’s only 1-2 players left in the squad that Arteta inherited from Emery. Now look at us, we look arguably worse and are as far away from a title challenge as we’ve ever been post SAF, squad needs another overhaul, too many players are still here who should’ve been gone years ago, and we’re still playing ******* woeful football.

Wouldn't be surprised if they sacked ETH soon and brought Potter in as caretaker coach.

Strong rumours around Nagelsmann and he is actually a young coach who should be given time to build his own squad.
Would he be given more time than ETH though? As much as I want him gone, why shouldn't he also be afforded the time? Would it be any easier for a new manager to get out/in players he wants?
It's the Premier League, there is no time.

No point sacking him now, we have two games against Liverpool coming up. Let him take the knocks (he's getting well paid after all) and get ready for a big off season with a new manager.

Wouldn't be surprised if they sacked ETH soon and brought Potter in as caretaker coach.

Strong rumours around Nagelsmann and he is actually a young coach who should be given time to build his own squad.

The club needs to get rid of at least 6 players and allow a new manager to work with the new staff in building a team.
I don't trust ETH's recruitment so he can bugger off.

The club needs to get rid of at least 6 players and allow a new manager to work with the new staff in building a team.
I don't trust ETH's recruitment so he can bugger off.

I think the directors are just as much to blame for ETH's recruitment as ETH is. Hard to fathom INEOS paying what we did for Antony.

I think the directors are just as much to blame for ETH's recruitment as ETH is. Hard to fathom INEOS paying what we did for Antony.

Agree, two terrible parties.

Would he be given more time than ETH though? As much as I want him gone, why shouldn't he also be afforded the time? Would it be any easier for a new manager to get out/in players he wants?
Arteta got time and now look at them, rolling teams atm.

For most people it’s easier to blame the manager than the players.

Arteta also had a vision and gameplan and brought in players to achieve that and was backed to do so.

ETH doesn't seem to have a vision or a working gameplan amd brought in the players he wanted.

And it didn’t happen overnight for arteta it’s taking him almost 5 years to get to where they are now.

I’m not fully backing ETH but I’m over just sacking the manager, how do we know for certain that he doesn’t have a plan maybe these players are that garbage that they can’t execute the plan.

I’d like to see him with the new owners at least for a season with another transfer window, because we ain’t winning the league next year with or without ETH.

And I know already you’re going to say but it’s his players his team etc. I give him the excuse of injuries because not having Shaw and Martinez hurts the structure of the team. Not only that having to deal with the drama of snowflakes at the club.

Doesn't Arteta have a semi-competent DOF?

Does it matter? ETH has received players he has asked for. One of them cost 100m and will go down as one of the worst buys of all time, if not the worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless INEOS come in and splash the cash, there is no way we are anywhere close to winning the main trophies for a decent amount of time, and I'm being generous here.

So in saying that, if we want to get back to the top again, we have to get a manager who:

1. Has a playing style that can compete with the best teams in the world consistently (ETH doesn't).
2. Can show he can evolve and progress positively in a different and challenging environment which is the EPL (ETH hasn't).
3. Can build a deep squad capable of fighting for multiple trophies and extract the most out of all players, especially the underperforming and average players (ETH hasnt).
4. Develop and promote youth (ETH has).

Now I think we all agree we have alot of deadwood in the squad (ETH has contributed to this aswell), but my concern with ETH is that there is no plan or vision to take the club back to the top and competing with the best clubs consistently. He has gone from trying out a possession based game plan in season 1 to a counter attacking style in season 2 and has made an absolute mess of it.

The metrics don't lie, we are in the bottom few for all the key metrics and we aren't making any progress at all, so why would/should we trust him to take us forward?

Klopp/Arteta stuck to their plan/principles from day 1 regardless whether it was working or not. That's the difference between managers who have confidence in their plan vs ETH who chops and changes as he hasn't a clue how to succeed in the EPL.

Nagelsmann as an example is only 36 and won't peak for some time yet so he will keep evolving and developing as he goes on. It would be wise to bring him with the sole expectation of instilling a modern gameplan and assembling a squad that suits that gameplan, imo. It obviously doesn't just have to be him as there are other options as well.

Last edited:
Just got reminded we paid 60m for Mount who's been injured all season and we could have just grabbed him for free at the end of the season. Another great signing.

Unless INEOS come in and splash the cash, there is no way we are anywhere close to winning the main trophies for a decent amount of time, and I'm being generous here.

So in saying that, if we want to get back to the top again, we have to get a manager who:

1. Has a playing style that can compete with the best teams in the world consistently (ETH doesn't).
2. Can show he can evolve and progress positively in a different and challenging environment which is the EPL (ETH hasn't).
3. Can build a deep squad capable of fighting for multiple trophies and extract the most out of all players, especially the underperforming and average players (ETH hasnt).
4. Develop and promote youth (ETH has).

Now I think we all agree we have alot of deadwood in the squad (ETH has contributed to this aswell), but my concern with ETH is that there is no plan or vision to take the club back to the top and competing with the best clubs consistently. He has gone from trying out a possession based game plan in season 1 to a counter attacking style in season 2 and has made an absolute mess of it.

The metrics don't lie, we are in the bottom few for all the key metrics and we aren't making any progress at all, so why would/should we trust him to take us forward?

Klopp/Arteta stuck to their plan/principles from day 1 regardless whether it was working or not. That's the difference between managers who have confidence in their plan vs ETH who chops and changes as he hasn't a clue how to succeed in the EPL.

Nagelsmann as an example is only 36 and won't peak for some time yet so he will keep evolving and developing as he goes on. It would be wise to bring him with the sole expectation of instilling a modern gameplan and assembling a squad that suits that gameplan, imo. It obviously doesn't just have to be him as there are other options as well.
Do you think he was under pressure, from above, to change the style from one year to the next?

Of course it matters. A competent DOF would have vetoed Anthony and probably Mount.

The manager insisted on those players. He wanted them at any cost. The issue is the manager being a bit of an idiot. The manager needs to change as well as a large amount of the playing group, not one or the other.

Reports that reps of managers are approaching Utd, to put themselves forward for the job. Amazing. How could players possibly give a stuff, at this stage?
At this stage? Half of them haven't seemed to give a s**t for years.

At this stage? Half of them haven't seemed to give a s**t for years.

Yep. Even Bruno looks checked out a lot of the time.

The ole interview was good to watch, can see why the club is ****ed, run so badly. I will say though, that people look at Haaland ‘right now’ and Bellingham ‘right now’ and say “Manchester United could’ve had that”.

Not as simple as that, had Haaland joined us instead of BVB, same with Bellingham too, they wouldn’t be the players they are now at United, because we have pretty much a 100% record post SAF of signing players and turning them to s**t. Who has become world class and improved a lot after joining United? They all go backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back