Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see bravery rewarded over just being fancy. There probably were better marks as spectacles.
But to throw yourself in like that is terrific. No fear and focused on the pill.
No up there Cazaly but I like it getting a run.

How wasn't Charlie Dixons mark not nominated?

It's so rare to see a mark like that taken, which requires alot of skill and strength.
That was easily the best mark this year.

Countless players can jump over people, many can and will take courageous marks. If they don't go they'll cop it...

Hardly anyone will ever pluck a ball being held one handed in the wet without a glove. That's unbelievable.

So unsurprisingly it's over 90% Carlton supporters that a) agree with the decision, b) are getting salty, and c) accuse everyone else of being salty.

For what it's worth, I voted for Hill's grab, but wasn't particularly inspired by any of them. And I voted for Cripps' goal too.

Not me - shouldn't have been Mark of the Year but they need to change how its adjudicated - that's the real story here.

Spot on. I reckon McGovern and a few other intercepting defenders take a similar mark weekly

Yep. They don't hit a pack that hard every week - let's give Walsh his due - but the scenario does play out similarly all of the time. It is the job of an intercept marking defender to be willing to take marks like this. But no coach expects players to take marks like the Riewoldt/Brown/Bartel marks.

It again shows that people have a very poor understanding of what they are watching. If you have played football at any level, you know there is a pretty massive difference between attempting a Walsh mark and attempting a Brown/Riewoldt/Bartel mark. Many of us have taken grabs that at least look like the former, and basically none of us have taken a mark that looks like the latter.

Walsh's mark was devalued by not showing the full sequence of him sprinting back from some distance. Watching the game live I clearly remember thinking it was the best mark I'd seen this year

This. I’m not saying it deserved to win (there seemed better marks in the weekly highlights package) but it’s certainly th most ‘Sam Walsh’ mark you will see. He was on his own 50-odd meters from where the mark was taken and had to commit before the ball was kicked, then went and actually plucked it.

The ability to read the play, cover that much ground, get to position and courage to do so in front of the pack as a 19 year old is exceptional. Which doesn’t make it make of the year, just remarkable.

No doubt we can revisit this same discussion in 8 years time when he gets 51 Brownlow votes in a season in much the same way Neale got 31 in 17 games this year, and everyone calls him vanilla and says he is overrated

So unsurprisingly it's over 90% Carlton supporters that a) agree with the decision, b) are getting salty, and c) accuse everyone else of being salty.

For what it's worth, I voted for Hill's grab, but wasn't particularly inspired by any of them. And I voted for Cripps' goal too.

I thought the fans no longer voted on MOTY? I could be mistaken but I thought it got taken out of the fans' hands after Daniher beat Howe to MOTY in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps goal was awesome! The kick itself was average but the sequence before that (with a ruptured shoulder) was nuts

No one is hanging sh*t on Walsh as a player for this, pretty much everyone has called it for what it is, a good, strong, courageous mark. It's a great mark on the day, I'm yet to see anyone dispute that.

You're being too defensive here over nothing. I don't know why you're trying to vehemently defend a nothing award when a first time viewer to the game could see there have been better grabs in 2020.

And as everyone neutral can see and has observed, there were multiple better marks played on the weekly round highlights all through the night, at least 2 or 3 a week. Probably more that weren't even cited.

I'm not sure if this was fan or committee voted, but it's probably the biggest howler of the award when you look through all the other contenders. I don't know how this one got up, but the decision makers whoever they were got it completely wrong.

It's a not much of an award anyway, but if it's going to mean something we can't have a winning mark like this taking out MOTY. That's embarrassing.
more salt than the dead sea in this guy

The best mark and the best goal won in the end...

...of the final three that were selected. Shame better marks and goals didn't make the final shortlist.

Daicos' goal was probably top 3 worthy, but there were better goals this year. I much preferred Neale's dribble goal against Geelong - as was Brent Daniel's dribble kick, although the latter relied a little too much on a freaky bounce. Freo bias here, but I thought Cerra's banana from the pocket against the Demons with a leaden ball due to the monsoon in Cairns was better than the three finalists (not least because it was his third possession in the chain of passes). I don't mind Cripps' goal, but it's so obvious he has run beyond 15m that it's a joke. The context for the Newnes goal was what made it good, but no different to Grey's the week before - and at least with Grey it was the right person kicking the ball at the right place on the ground.

I remember seeing Charlie Dixon's mark and thinking, wow, you don't often see that at the footy. Walsh's mark was great courage, but whilst the marks from Cameron and Hill were good, there is nothing to set them apart from 15-20 similar marks over the season.

As others have said, it was an even field. Could probably have added another half dozen marks to the three finalists that were as good. Think they went for Walsh as a point of difference.

If you really wanted a mark for "point of difference" it really should have been between Dixon or Guthrie.

I remember a couple of years ago when an NFL player took a similar grab to Dixon and it was trending worldwide.

If you really wanted a mark for "point of difference" it really should have been between Dixon or Guthrie.

I remember a couple of years ago when an NFL player took a similar grab to Dixon and it was trending worldwide.

The winner can only come from the three nominated each week. Not even sure I've seen the Dixon mark people are referring to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back