Strategy Marketing, Sales, Communication & Media Structure & Strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

On the pre-game build up I would love to see a weekly interview with Garry hocking about how the magpies game just gone went, on the upcoming game, how players went, stats sheets etc. Some highlights of the most recent game and info on upcoming gametimes and opponents. This one club thing is a huge point of difference with other clubs because people actually care about the reserves team and the comp more so than other afl teams. Magpie news needs to be more incorporated on power game day for mine.

On the pre-game build up I would love to see a weekly interview with Garry hocking about how the magpies game just gone went, on the upcoming game, how players went, stats sheets etc. Some highlights of the most recent game and info on upcoming gametimes and opponents. This one club thing is a huge point of difference with other clubs because people actually care about the reserves team and the comp more so than other afl teams. Magpie news needs to be more incorporated on power game day for mine.

Yes.

There should also be clear signage that all game day village profits go to the club, at the venue and on the screen. Then watch it expand deeper into the tennis courts when more realize that's the case. Unless they have been told they can't tell people that port run it of course.

There should also be clear signage that all game day village profits go to the club, at the venue and on the screen. Then watch it expand deeper into the tennis courts when more realize that's the case. Unless they have been told they can't tell people that port run it of course.
The SMA probably dont allow us to put it on the big screen. They arent happy with what we have done. At pre and post match functions Baz, KT etc push it. KT put it in his CEO' message.

Where's the entrance to our village? They locked the gates I entered through last year.
War Memorial Drive, as you walk across the zebra crossing instead of viaing right to go to the Southern entrance gates to AO, via left and go thru the Memorial Drive gates ie just left of that service tunnel that goes underneath AO.

War Memorial Drive, as you walk across the zebra crossing instead of viaing right to go to the Southern entrance gates to AO, via left and go thru the Memorial Drive gates ie just left of that service tunnel that goes underneath AO.

Cheers! :thumbsu:

So many people were in there thinking it was part of the village.

Word will catch on I'm sure

ackbarTrap02s_zps3f0d0cf4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah quite like that idea. Getting the highlights of the most recent Magpies game up in the hour or so before the bounce would be a small, but meaningful gesture to Oneclub without being seen to be ramming it down peoples throats.

Back in late February, a Club posse flew to Melbourne led by KT and staged a two-day road show for selected members of the Melbourne footy media, including Gerard Whately, Robbo and Patrick Smith.
Caro was included, but she seems to have taken umbrage at not being teacher's pet any more and hasn't followed through.
Patrick Smith now has, with this article in today's Australian (as spotted by REH on another media thread), having been a guest of the Club on ANZAC Night at the Oval. It's a long article and excerpts below are a small sample.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...be-champion-club/story-e6frg7uo-1227322107596

...This night is an intersection of one club that has known success — confident, no, convinced that they have the formula to keep ahead of the rest of the league. What the Hawks don’t know they will seek out and adapt to the club’s overall philosophy. That is part of the reason coach Alastair Clarkson has won three premierships in 10 seasons. He is hardly a leaner, he’s a learner.

It is all of the reason Ken Hinkley has been given the very public and complicated job of restoring pride that once dominated AFL football as though God himself had given Port Adelaide that right and duty. From 2001 to 2007 the club missed the finals once, played in two grand finals and won the 2004 premiership. Port were the competition braggarts, so sure of themselves they slagged off their major sponsor on the premiership dais.

...Port, a club once splintered by history and SANFL's greed and mischief, have every intention of becoming an immovable heavy in the AFL. This week their membership count will climb past 60,000.

There were emphatic signs that Port’s time has come. Their first quarter against Hawthorn might be as perfect as Australian football can be played. Blurring speed as the Port players broke from congestion. Outrageous confidence in spreading and stretching the oval so teammates had targets in space here, there and everywhere. Three tall forwards snaffling the ball from the air as though they were standing on stilts and the ball was a balloon drifting gently towards them.

...Port and the Hawks now both sit with two wins and two losses. Port’s early draw has been less sympathetic than Hawthorn’s so Port players should feel well pleased. Port have a greater ambition than to play like a champion team, they want to be considered a champion club. Act like one.

There are signs everywhere that such a grand and difficult transition is in place. The pre-game dinner is packed with 580 guests. It is slightly informal — everybody is wary of the folly of taking themselves too seriously — but the room exudes a compelling confidence.

Port don’t do cameos any more. On the field or in the boardroom. Port play their showdown with Adelaide next Sunday. An encore is required.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...be-champion-club/story-e6frg7uo-1227322107596

Last edited:
From the Patrick Smith article - you can tell as LR said he was invited in to the inner sanctum.

This unstoppable force was not obvious in the rooms before the game. Hinkley was relaxed. His preparation for the match forensic, his presentations to the players over but for a one-minute checklist before the players entered the oval. Arms crossed, he chatted to the odds and ends that stayed respectfully behind the roof-high nets which defined the players’ space from the supporters.

Skipper Travis Boak had spoken to the players in a room away from everybody and former Port warrior Josh Carr sooled the players on to each other in bumping and tackling duels. Only in the race waiting for their turn to run out and warm up were the players’ voices raised. One player declared loudly and definitely “our house, our house”. And for a quarter at least Port treated Hawthorn as unwanted guests.

KOCH TALKS PAFC MARKETING STRATEGY

I digested Tom Richardson's respectable, and respectful, piece in today's InDaily a couple of times before deciding to post this commentary in this thread rather than others to which it also applies. The article has earlier been quoted elsewhere.

http://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2015/10/30/port-are-the-afls-biggest-disappointment-says-koch/

The title, though honest, only gives a lead to a small part of the article, which is largely about the marketing strategy the Club adopted in 2013 and has since adapted to a progressively changing situation with commendable success. Koch says PAFC's off-field performance, contrary to on-field in 2015, has been a 'stunning success'... with the club turning its first profit in almost a decade.'
('Profit'. Lovely word. 'Over-expectation'. Awful word. Can apply to profit as much as on-field performance.)

Here are a few excerpts:

A regular email missive sent directly to members from CEO Keith Thomas is “single-handedly our biggest marketing tool”, Koch said.
“Because it says to our members, ‘Hey, I’m being thought of first’…that human touch, the common touch that, hey, we care for you.”

Great to read the Chairman giving credit where it's most due: not just to his CEO but to our CEO. KT is the single most effective factor in making David Koch a far better president than he would otherwise be. The longer this pairing remains intact, the better and stronger will be the Port Adelaide Football Club.

And he wasn’t shy about offering advice to policymakers about how to entice business to bolster the flailing state economy.
“You grow a pair and ask what ‘Would it take to get you to move to Adelaide?’”

Remember a year or more ago Koch talking up the redevelopment of the Port Adelaide area, turning it into a commercial /entertainment / prime or -semi-prime residential hub with its own tramline, flavour, culture, and Alberton Oval and the Port Club as its bullseye? The man has more than just vision, he has wide-angle vision. There are not enough like him, however, on site. Such people go east, or overseas.

“We were irrelevant in Victoria…part of our KPIs and goal-setting was we wanted to become a national brand ... the AFL had conducted research that suggested the Power are now, indeed, “everyone’s ‘other’ team, if you like…we were the highest in terms of that response”.
He said that was due in part to deliberately courting exposure: “It was just us going to FoxFooty and saying ‘What do you want? What would it take to get you to give us more coverage?’”

http://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2015/10/30/port-are-the-afls-biggest-disappointment-says-koch/

Credit to Koch and KT, we are so far from those dark dark Primus, Haysman and Duncanson days of excuses.

Love what they doing for us, we are Port Adelaide again instead of a whining, excuse making, leaking, bunch of local yocals who We're way out of their depth.

This should be a great business case study at a MBA course

I don't want to be everyone's second team. I'd rather be loathed and successful like Hawthorn are now.
Nah, ideally we'd be the team everyone likes to watch, EXCEPT when they are playing us, as our exciting style of play (rather then Hawhthorn's precise kick snooze fest) is having their no. 1 side being cut apart.

Higher TV ratings and more sponsorship dollar is a must have these days. The problem of 2015 is Koch forgetting that it's secondary to appealing to those who support Port firstly and not having it interfere with our success on-field (the infamous debacle of throwing our home showdown this year to placate an Adelaide side, who then didn't even acknowledge it). As long as it doesn't interfere with the primary goals, everyone's second team I'm happy with.

Nah, ideally we'd be the team everyone likes to watch, EXCEPT when they are playing us, as our exciting style of play (rather then Hawhthorn's precise kick snooze fest) is having their no. 1 side being cut apart.

Higher TV ratings and more sponsorship dollar is a must have these days. The problem of 2015 is Koch forgetting that it's secondary to appealing to those who support Port firstly and not having it interfere with our success on-field (the infamous debacle of throwing our home showdown this year to placate an Adelaide side, who then didn't even acknowledge it). As long as it doesn't interfere with the primary goals, everyone's second team I'm happy with.

Mate, you are spot on. In private David Koch admits this. He says the turning point was prior to the GWS game when after an internal 'ten-point review' the Club decided to get back to traditional Port Adelaide football and screw emphasis on the nice guy (David Koch) image. I am certain BigFooty and tribey and his dislike of vanilla contributed to this. It's the balance that's the key, and I'm becoming more confident that through trial and error we'll rapidly discover that balance ... provided there are no sudden senior personnel changes on- or off-field.

Mate, you are spot on. In private David Koch admits this. He says the turning point was prior to the GWS game when after an internal 'ten-point review' the Club decided to get back to traditional Port Adelaide football and screw emphasis on the nice guy (David Koch) image. I am certain BigFooty and tribey and his dislike of vanilla contributed to this. It's the balance that's the key, and I'm becoming more confident that through trial and error we'll rapidly discover that balance ... provided there are no sudden senior personnel changes on- or off-field.

Whoa :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back