Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Best take-away from the game: we won’t have a whole heap of posters rabbitting on about what great depth we have because we have a few players who can dance with their sisters.
It is a preseason game and means next to nothing. We had no system and it follows we did not play to a game plan. Looking at the vision of Teague after the match he did not seem to be upset.
We clearly have doc and willo back. Martin is an addition - some watchers were previously suggesting he may not be good enough to make the team😂. Walsh does not look like having second year blues since that is a condition for mere mortals.
We are going to go fine this year. No flag, but competing for a finals berth.

We were slaughtered in uncontested marks.

Yep, they played in front of us all day and hit up the short, low, direct kicks with ease.

File it away though, because opposition sides will take note and they won't always have it so easy. If our disposal was even up to an average level, they'd have had less of the ball to do that with as well.

Annoyed at the poor skills showing, but not concerned yet. Next week will be more telling.

Call it like i see it mate.
What a wasted opportunity by many players to nail down a starting position for round 1.
All very well to fob it off as a practice game but there is always something to be gained in any situation.
Other than the absolute certainties, who tonight said to the selectors ... you have to play me now ?

Absolutely no way Fisher doesn't start on the field. That's about it.

While Cunners had a poor game, he should have kicked 2 goals and the only time we looked dangerous when he was running through the middle of the ground.

Willo looked like he was playing the 3rd tall role and didn't get into the game.

When Cunners played as the half-forward/receiver, we looked our best as a team. He should have finished with two and should have contributed to two others directly.

I dont care bout result. I dont care that we had good players out.
So many who played 2nite are on the edge of selection fir rd1. And the majority did absolutely nothing to enhance their cause. How can u stroll through the game when ur fighting for selection???
Seriously.
Cunners
Setters
Kennedy
Dow
Gibbons
Nunes
These blokes carnt afford 2 b going at less than 100%..all were bloody ordinary
These are the type of guys (with fish sos sps LOB stock ) u need to step up if we gunna rise quickly
Lang - x him
Willio- not ready yet
To me this game was about these blokes..whose gunna step up and demand a game in rd 1.. they failed dismally

Yep, they played in front of us all day and hit up the short, low, direct kicks with ease.

File it away though, because opposition sides will take note and they won't always have it so easy. If our disposal was even up to an average level, they'd have had less of the ball to do that with as well.

Annoyed at the poor skills showing, but not concerned yet. Next week will be more telling.
Yeah I think we underestimated what Freo were bringing. Nice reality check early in the piece.

If we didn't know beforehand - Fisher can midfield and Cuningham can not.

Very disappointed in Setterfield today. Skirting around the edges, just isn't good enough.

Limited time, but Martin looked lively forward...and can't we do with some life forward?

Forward entries though, were...not really forward entries. More Hail-Mary's than for an onset of Armageddon.
Yeah Fish did alright still gets bumped off the ball easily and a fair number of broken tackles but his outside work was alright.

Boy oh boy, wowee!!!!!

I am scared for you guys going up against Richmond in round 1.

What your players showed today was a major concern in terms of skills.

... Fremantle are projected to be a bottom 6 team this year and belted you by 47 points.
Are you lost dickhead.

Says a lot that Polson has been the most impressive today, takes Philp to come on to show how to stick a tackle.

That’s disrespectful to Polson and totally uncalled for. He has been working his ass off all summer to prove he belongs. He was one on the very few who didn’t waste the ball, broke the lines, put his body on the line and defended hard. On today’s showing he is in contention for round 1 and good on him!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one wanted to hear this on the Freo board but I wouldn't worry if I was you fellows , both teams had a young team in but travel and an unfamiliar ground will usually affect a young side way more and unlike most of the pre season games that ground is where our 2 nd team Peel Thunder play so with the amount of young un's in the team it was more of a genuine home game than Optus would have been

Expecting a pretty tight tussle for ladder positions with you blokes this year

That’s disrespectful to Polson and totally uncalled for. He has been working his ass off all summer to prove he belongs. He was one on the very few who didn’t waste the ball, broke the lines, put his body on the line and defended hard. On today’s showing he is in contention for round 1 and good on him!!!

Agreed. While I can’t see him playing round 1 he showed more in two hours then he has in 2 years. Was one of our better players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly, if you want to know how hard we where going look at Kreuser never broke a sweat, if we where going full noise you would have seen it in the big Diesel tractors work rate.

I felt a lot of our guys barely got out of second gear tbh, and that helped Freo look like millionaires. Dial up the defensive pressure and everything changes...Freo's slick ball movement comes undone, we create more turnovers and we therefore score more and build momentum.

Saw a few posts being negative on Simmo for example...lol yeah like a guy his age who has played as much footy as he has really cares about the first preseason game...he'll just log the km's in the legs and that's about it.

No one wanted to hear this on the Freo board but I wouldn't worry if I was you fellows , both teams had a young team in but travel and an unfamiliar ground will usually affect a young side way more and unlike most of the pre season games that ground is where our 2 nd team Peel Thunder play so with the amount of young un's in the team it was more of a genuine home game than Optus would have been

Expecting a pretty tight tussle for ladder positions with you blokes this year

Fellows, blokes :rolleyes:

While Cunners had a poor game, he should have kicked 2 goals and the only time we looked dangerous when he was running through the middle of the ground.

Willo looked like he was playing the 3rd tall role and didn't get into the game.

Cunners & Setters definitely disappointing...but we don't know their instructions. Maybe they played different roles, maybe they were told to play at a lower intensity to get the run in their legs.

However Cunners played around 75% game time, and it is a re-occurring theme with Cunners to get low disposals and flash in and out of games. Only 12 disposals.

Agreed. While I can’t see him playing round 1 he showed more in two hours then he has in 2 years. Was one of our better players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did not know Polson could leap that high when he took that speccy. First time i'd seen it.

He also hit most of his kicks coming out of defence, even when under pressure and found short targets.

I felt a lot of our guys barely got out of second gear tbh, and that helped Freo look like millionaires. Dial up the defensive pressure and everything changes...Freo's slick ball movement comes undone, we create more turnovers and we therefore score more and build momentum.

Saw a few posts being negative on Simmo for example...lol yeah like a guy his age who has played as much footy as he has really cares about the first preseason game...he'll just log the km's in the legs and that's about it.
Plus the fact they played a tag on him.

What more would have Wines done in this game? We don’t need Wines because we have Cripps and 3-4 young midfielders, who are still building into quality footballers.

We are not lacking in inside midfielders, we are lacking experience and cohesion which comes from playing games together.

Our biggest issue is our outside run, polish, and consistency.
Exactly, we have enough strong/big bodied inside mids, we need outside classy run & carry types with good foot skills to improve forward connection and ball retention.

Did not know Polson could leap that high when he took that speccy. First time i'd seen it.

He also hit most of his kicks coming out of defence, even when under pressure and found short targets.
Yeah it was a great mark and I really enjoyed his work today looked alright, could he possibly become a Neville Jetta? probably not but stranger things have happened just ask Liam Jones.

For real?
He looks totally not up to it, given the quality of the opposition.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back