Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

It is worth remembering that last year we played 2 2019 finalists in the preseason, beating the bombers while kicking 100 points and running the Pies to a 11.11.77 to 10.13 73 loss.

We then were 1-10 half way through the year.

The score line is of little consequence. At 3rt time the game was even. We were 3 goals down but they had received 2 from very soft frees and 2 from horrendous kicking turnovers that weren't about them playing well. They also got 2 last quarter goals from questionable 50s.

The issue was that apart from 1 or 2 occasions we hadn't moved the ball well all day, we didn't defend well giving up easy marks inside 50 and failed put any real pressure on them in the forward 50 so the ball moved out way too easily. We also didn't see any thing from the players we need to take the next step apart from Fisher.

We regressed back to crabbing the ball along the boundary with forward handballs to stationary targets that eventually came undone.

Last edited:
Random question for the masses:

Polson?

As a small defender?

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. That doesn't mean I'm confident he'll save his AFL career like Jones did, but the running defender role seems to suit him a lot more than the small forward one. As a pressure forward he was just chasing tail all day and didn't seem to have any idea what else he was supposed to be doing. As a defender, he offered some genuine dash out of defence and showed some fairly neat disposal in the process. Still has issues with awareness, almost getting run down from behind when he thought he had a paddock all to himself - and poor awareness can be a real killer when you're within range of the opposition goals.

Reckon I'd liken his game to Adam Saad, just not quite as quick. Straight line player with a "get ball and go" mentality, disposal pretty good but falls away under pressure.
Another well measured post BB, well done. I liked what i saw as well with Polson across half-back. I really hope he he can get the best out of himself this year and resurrect his career.

The score line is of little consequence. At 3rt time the game was even. We were 3 goals down but they had received 2 from very soft frees and 2 from horrendous kicking turnovers that weren't about them playing well. They also got 2 last quarter goals from questionable 50s.

The issue was that apart form 1 or 2 occasions we hadn't moved the ball well all day, we didn't defend well giving up easy marks inside 50 and failed put any real pressure on them in the forward 50 so the ball moved out way too easily. We also didn't see any thing from the players we need to take the next step apart from Fisher.

We regressed back to crabbing the ball along the boundary with forward handballs to stationary targets that eventually came undone.

Put McGovern and McKay into the side and the ball movement will improve dramatically - it is a bit hard to move the ball well when you don't have quality talls hitting the wings while still being able to have a tall forward inside 50.

Put McGovern and McKay into the side and the ball movement will improve dramatically - it is a bit hard to move the ball well when you don't have quality talls hitting the wings while still being able to have a tall forward inside 50.
Sure they would help, but unless we kick the ball somewhere remotely near where the players are leading and get the ball moving with speed we are not going to improve.

Had those players in the side last year and we were no good.

I was just disappointed with midfield output from the likes of Cuners, Dow and Setters - we’re kidding ourselves if we think we can climb the ladder steeply without these guys taking huge steps in 20.

Maybe that AFL guy was right when he said our midfield is no 18!

I was just disappointed with midfield output from the likes of Cuners, Dow and Setters - we’re kidding ourselves if we think we can climb the ladder steeply without these guys taking huge steps in 20.

Maybe that AFL guy was right when he said our midfield is no 18!

The issue is with thinking that those guys "taking huge steps" equates to them being able to carry the game with no Cripps, no Murphy, a half-pace Ed, half a game from Kreuzer, a patchwork forward line with limited cohesion, and two rebounding defenders coming back from significant injury layoffs.

Fully expect a few of Fisher, Cunners, Setters, Dow, Gibbons, O'Brien, JSOS, Kennedy etc. to take a huge step forward when the balance of the team is back in and they can play the roles they're suited to with our actual front-liners doing the heavier lifting.

And still think some of them will/should play a fair chunk of VFL this year, if only because that should be the level they're able to "conquer" before stepping up to more responsibility in the seniors. If Dow and Stocker, for example can't bully VFL mids, why on earth would we expect them to be any more than cameo players at senior level.

The issue is with thinking that those guys "taking huge steps" equates to them being able to carry the game with no Cripps, no Murphy, a half-pace Ed, half a game from Kreuzer, a patchwork forward line with limited cohesion, and two rebounding defenders coming back from significant injury layoffs.

Fully expect a few of Fisher, Cunners, Setters, Dow, Gibbons, O'Brien, JSOS, Kennedy etc. to take a huge step forward when the balance of the team is back in and they can play the roles they're suited to with our actual front-liners doing the heavier lifting.

And still think some of them will/should play a fair chunk of VFL this year, if only because that should be the level they're able to "conquer" before stepping up to more responsibility in the seniors. If Dow and Stocker, for example can't bully VFL mids, why on earth would we expect them to be any more than cameo players at senior level.

All good and fair points.
They will be better and we'll be better.

I just don't think Teague walked away from that game ticking off too many boxes for what he would have wanted to see.
I don't know for sure but given what he put forward about us playing as we train.....there just may be something in that.

All good and fair points.
They will be better and we'll be better.

I just don't think Teague walked away from that game ticking off too many boxes for what he would have wanted to see.
I don't know for sure but given what he put forward about us playing as we train.....there just may be something in that.
The only upside was that it has given Teague a lot of teachable moments that players can learn from. Lots of time on the plane trip home to watch the tape.

It was very disappointing, no doubt.

It's hard to know how much stock we should put in the performance. Ed for example, did very little, and we know how consistent he is in the real stuff. And while we are all obviously disappointed in players like Setters and Cunners not putting their stamp on the match, and some fringe players not putting their hand up, it's hard to tell if you can really read much into it.

The thing that really stood out was just how bad our kicking was, which doesn't seem to be reflective of our general performance. Even Weiters was missing targets. And if only Jack, Gibbo and Cunners had converted the chances that they really should have, then the game looks pretty different.

There should be quite a few changes for this week, as we look to put out a side closer to our best. Really hope players like Samo, Plow, Marchy, Gov and LOB are right to go, and that we put in a much better performance.

It's just that the timing of it was so bad.

A lot of us haven't seen anything with our own eyes since the end of last season. We hear and read all these reports which are on the whole very positive (and genuinely appreciated). Then when we get the first chance to see for ourselves (if you have Foxtel, Kayo etc.) we get served up a shitfest of poor kicking, non-existent marking and total lack of intensity. Martin's intensity for a half (and to a lesser extent Fisher and Polson) really highlighted the lack of it from others.

It seems to be the way of the pre-season so far - a side is ok intensity-wise one week, then bludges the next. Pies weren't interested against us, then lift their rating against the Tiges. Makes sense that the "off" weeks are 4000 km's from home I suppose. If the game had been at Ikon it's probably the Freo supporters that are losing their collective marbles.

Sure they would help, but unless we kick the ball somewhere remotely near where the players are leading and get the ball moving with speed we are not going to improve.

Had those players in the side last year and we were no good.
Quality forwards attract the ball & make the ball carrier more decisive - having the 3 ke forward will help our ball movement, as will adding players like Murphy and SPS who use the ball well.

As for having them last year how many games did we get to play 3 of Curnow, McKay, McGovern or Casboult forward? And how many did we have small forwards the quality of Betts and Martin?

Yep we are wanting them to take the "huge step"of being quality second string mids averaging just above 20 touches a game but on Saturday we asked them to take the "huge step"of being first string mids.

A lot of us haven't seen anything with our own eyes since the end of last season. We hear and read all these reports which are on the whole very positive (and genuinely appreciated). Then when we get the first chance to see for ourselves (if you have Foxtel, Kayo etc.) we get served up a shitfest of poor kicking, non-existent marking and total lack of intensity.

Yeah, we were a lot better last week against the Pies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of us haven't seen anything with our own eyes since the end of last season. We hear and read all these reports which are on the whole very positive (and genuinely appreciated). Then when we get the first chance to see for ourselves (if you have Foxtel, Kayo etc.) we get served up a shitfest of poor kicking, non-existent marking and total lack of intensity. Martin's intensity for a half (and to a lesser extent Fisher and Polson) really highlighted the lack of it from others.

It seems to be the way of the pre-season so far - a side is ok intensity-wise one week, then bludges the next. Pies weren't interested against us, then lift their rating against the Tiges. Makes sense that the "off" weeks are 4000 km's from home I suppose. If the game had been at Ikon it's probably the Freo supporters that are losing their collective marbles.

Yeah, especially given we've got another game coming up this weekend against Brissy, who have publicly said they plan on treating it like Round 1.

Hopefully it was just a matter of travel + first preseason game + suburban ground + 28 degree day + heaps of outs, combining for a run where the intensity was below par. I'm sure Teague and the other coaches would still have expected better skills and application, but there are a lot of potential factors which could go some way towards explaining (not excusing) the performance.

The attitude of the playing group this weekend will be telling.

The thing that I found disappointing was that the guys who are supposed to be driving our improvement were largely poor or did nothing to show that they will do so. Kennedy, SOJ, Cunningham shouldn’t be playing the youth card. Setters is now a fourth year player, he needs to be the guy taking this side to the next level. My whipping boy Polson was really good and Fisher and Walsh were impressive so some good signs.
It was disappointing for me. Nothing more, nothing less. Really looking forward to next week.
I think Cunners showed a bit when played forward in the second half, got himself into some really good positions and really stayed on the move and if anything was missed a few times for the quick handball receive when flying past, probably should have kicked 2-3 and will be better for the run, still was in and out of the game especially in the first half when he played more midfield but hit some nice passes the long one to Gibbo after a good run from a handball recieve, I think once our other players are back those sort of link man recieve plays are where Cunners can shine when up the ground otherwise buzzing around inside 50 is his go.

Seems that way.

No need for excuses for fourth and fifth year players - Setterfield, Kennedy, SPS, Fisher etc.
Not that we're trying to find excuses and I know that Fisher and SPS are keepers, but Setterfield's time is now and he has to be there to support the inside mids
I'm just not keen on him as a flanker that floats forward. Reckon he's better than that and time should show that to be the case.

All I can say after watching these blokes in two praccy matches is I hope Stocker comes on sooner rather than later and Kemp is good to go next year. My bones tell me Walsh will be A grade replacement for Murph, SPS will make it as a HBF and Fisher as a role player - thats it. I hope it is training loads or some such - but Setterfield and Dow in particular looked like draftees.

yeah nah nothing to worry about here. rustiness more than anything. Both teams didn't really seem to get out of 2nd gear. Loved the Doc letting freo know what's what. To me it almost looked like we were instructed to NOT bust a gut. Some slack turnovers and defensive 50 checking sure, but honestly looked like freo were trying to impress the new coach more than anything. Chuck a few more regular players in our side and give more of a toss and we'll go up a few levels pretty quickly IMO. Having the Doc is huge. I think he'll go pretty well thru the first part of the season maybe fade due to the fact he's missed so much footy. Need his smarts, mongrel and leadership so crippa can take care of business with less pressure. Get SPS and murph back in there and suddenly we look a lot different. Add the cream of Eddie B and the Gov. Are we world beaters? I dunno. But trying to judge from that is clsoe to pointless.

I think Cunners showed a bit when played forward in the second half, got himself into some really good positions and really stayed on the move and if anything was missed a few times for the quick handball receive when flying past, probably should have kicked 2-3 and will be better for the run, still was in and out of the game especially in the first half when he played more midfield but hit some nice passes the long one to Gibbo after a good run from a handball recieve, I think once our other players are back those sort of link man recieve plays are where Cunners can shine when up the ground otherwise buzzing around inside 50 is his go.
Cunners would have nailed that shot on his right, 9 times out of 10. Then that left foot pass under some pressure, he would normally do better than that. But at least he was in the right spots. I am expecting much better from him against Brissy.

All I can say after watching these blokes in two praccy matches is I hope Stocker comes on sooner rather than later and Kemp is good to go next year. My bones tell me Walsh will be A grade replacement for Murph, SPS will make it as a HBF and Fisher as a role player - thats it. I hope it is training loads or some such - but Setterfield and Dow in particular looked like draftees.
we'll all be rooned.

yeah nah nothing to worry about here. rustiness more than anything. Both teams didn't really seem to get out of 2nd gear. Loved the Doc letting freo know what's what. To me it almost looked like we were instructed to NOT bust a gut. Some slack turnovers and defensive 50 checking sure, but honestly looked like freo were trying to impress the new coach more than anything. Chuck a few more regular players in our side and give more of a toss and we'll go up a few levels pretty quickly IMO. Having the Doc is huge. I think he'll go pretty well thru the first part of the season maybe fade due to the fact he's missed so much footy. Need his smarts, mongrel and leadership so crippa can take care of business with less pressure. Get SPS and murph back in there and suddenly we look a lot different. Add the cream of Eddie B and the Gov. Are we world beaters? I dunno. But trying to judge from that is clsoe to pointless.
Someone who sees it as it is.

Six months from now and Setters and Dow could easily finish top 10 in our B and F. Okay Dow, that is a bit of a stretch. Be nice to see this actually happen though.

Yeah, especially given we've got another game coming up this weekend against Brissy, who have publicly said they plan on treating it like Round 1.

Hopefully it was just a matter of travel + first preseason game + suburban ground + 28 degree day + heaps of outs, combining for a run where the intensity was below par. I'm sure Teague and the other coaches would still have expected better skills and application, but there are a lot of potential factors which could go some way towards explaining (not excusing) the performance.

The attitude of the playing group this weekend will be telling.
Yep all those things plus the wind. The commentators were saying it was favouring left of screen, but it was hard to tell if it was also blowing across the ground. There were a few kicked out on the full (on the near side camera-wise) that suggested it was a factor. Doc had one bad one I remember. The Freo poster who said the Peel Thunder played there, seemed to think their players would have been more used to it.

If Freo try and play that 20 metre chip kick style against us in the proper season we will be having a lot of repeat entries inside 50 with the pressure we will be applying come the real season, if anything that hit out will give them a false sense of that style of play holding up under the real pressure of an AFL game, the good pressure sides, which we where in the second half of the year, will tear them apart if they try that chip chip stuff in the back half, we will be forcing them wide and making them kick long down the line, then we will see how they go when we have a full armada of contested marking talls waiting to gobble up the repeat entries or tap it into the path of Eddie or Martin or Cunners as they fly past the contest. I’m not even a little bit concerned.

Six months from now and Setters and Dow could easily finish top 10 in our B and F. Okay Dow, that is a bit of a stretch. Be nice to see this actually happen though.

Well that would be an awesome outcome - fingers crossed :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back