Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Random question for the masses:

Polson?

As a small defender?

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. That doesn't mean I'm confident he'll save his AFL career like Jones did, but the running defender role seems to suit him a lot more than the small forward one. As a pressure forward he was just chasing tail all day and didn't seem to have any idea what else he was supposed to be doing. As a defender, he offered some genuine dash out of defence and showed some fairly neat disposal in the process. Still has issues with awareness, almost getting run down from behind when he thought he had a paddock all to himself - and poor awareness can be a real killer when you're within range of the opposition goals.

Reckon I'd liken his game to Adam Saad, just not quite as quick. Straight line player with a "get ball and go" mentality, disposal pretty good but falls away under pressure.

We would like to see every player on our list make good of their career.
He looked pretty reasonable relative to a lot of others on Saturday. The fact is though, if he is going past enough of Docherty, Williamson, Newman, Simpson, SPS, Stocker and Newnes to hold down a running small/medium defender role, then I think we are in a lot of trouble.

Did you see the match sims? I did and there were a couple that stood out as no holds barred sessions, with Newnes, SPS and Kennedy going down.
Not all were of premium intensity but there were couple that stood out and listen to what Teague had to say last week. Listen to Teague.
It wasn't all about intensity ether. Have a look at our wayward kicking under little intensity. We were on the nose on the day and if we didn't bring intensity (as was the case for a few) they should be reminded of it this week...and reminded hard.
If you are not bringing your intensity and desire to the first serious practice match, then you are going to struggle for the rest of the season. I see Teague is doing something revolutionary by playing Casboult up forward. Eight years of trying to make him a forward, and it has not worked, but here we go again. When he did take a mark, he missed from directly in front. He needs to play in defence or when on the ball, a kick behind like the old ruckmen used to.

He looked pretty reasonable relative to a lot of others on Saturday. The fact is though, if he is going past enough of Docherty, Williamson, Newman, Simpson, SPS, Stocker and Newnes to hold down a running small/medium defender role, then I think we are in a lot of trouble.

Perhaps - though you could easily mount a case for 2021 where Simmo retires, Stocker and SPS are playing in the middle, Newnes and Willo are preferred on the wings, and all of a sudden Polson is perhaps next in line behind Doc and Newman. He'd need to do a lot of good work this year for that to be the case, but it's a nice dream to have.

Tell me how SPS/Setterfield/Fisher/Dow/Cunningham/LoB - will perform and I will tell you how we go this year. If we continue getting smashed in midfield or lose the between the arcs territorial game because we cant cause turnovers - we are battling again. the backline is set and forward line is competitive unless injury keeps McGovern and Harry out - it is the midfield where all the performance question marks belong.

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy Ed Walsh pick themselves- it is the rest that need to lift to AFL standards.

If you are not bringing your intensity and desire to the first serious practice match, then you are going to struggle for the rest of the season. I see Teague is doing something revolutionary by playing Casboult up forward. Eight years of trying to make him a forward, and it has not worked, but here we go again. When he did take a mark, he missed from directly in front. He needs to play in defence or when on the ball, a kick behind like the old ruckmen used to.

This is an odd one to latch on to...

Who would you have preferred at full forward in a pre-season game given Curnow, McKay and McGovern all missed, Moody? Finbar?

I suppose that would depend almost entirely on what the coaches wanted to get out of the game. On one hand, someone had to front the media, and Stanton's presser (posted a few pages back) is fairly placating in terms of tone; on the other hand, it seemed to me like they were using the game to get miles into the legs of those who need it, and that's about it.

Coaches use practice matches for different things. Some coaches tinker, some go hell for leather and try to win everything, some really couldn't give nine tenths of a s**t and just use it for the running. Paul Roos was famous for his distain of preseason games. This is our first preseason under Teague, coming off Bolton who came from the perspective of wanting to sell a bit of hope and to build the boys up entering into round 1. We don't know with Teague precisely what he thinks concerning these warmups, so we cannot conclusively know whether to be concerned or otherwise.

The messages from the club, though, suggest that we're working towards being ready for round 1. Could be a slogan, but at some point you have to just say that something that's quacking and covered in feathers is a duck.
They have spent the better part of 4 months running, running and more running, plus all of the skill, match simulations, intra club and pretend game against Collingwood. Granted there may be a few coming back from injury or surgery, but this getting miles into their legs just doesn't wash. If I was Teague I would be very concerned. It was a poor hit out against a team that is rebuilding. Cripps & Fyfe's exclusion negated each other. Richmond has no right to win the premiership last year with all of the injuries they had mid year, but they managed to find ways to win. Just not sure we have that same will.

They have spent the better part of 4 months running, running and more running, plus all of the skill, match simulations, intra club and pretend game against Collingwood. Granted there may be a few coming back from injury or surgery, but this getting miles into their legs just doesn't wash. If I was Teague I would be very concerned. It was a poor hit out against a team that is rebuilding. Cripps & Fyfe's exclusion negated each other. Richmond has no right to win the premiership last year with all of the injuries they had mid year, but they managed to find ways to win. Just not sure we have that same will.

Well we better pack it up and start looking at 2021

Accepted, but I tend towards requiring more evidence than less when it comes to a team's form than a two practice matches, one of which was a genuine scratch match.

BTW, it is good to see you're still around, Moody.

Did you miss the 4 he kicked last week?

He offers something different to each of those players except Simpson, and Simpson is closer to the end than the beginning. It's Simpson whose game he should attempt to model, and Simpson he should be replacing over the next few years.

Tell me how SPS/Setterfield/Fisher/Dow/Cunningham/LoB - will perform and I will tell you how we go this year. If we continue getting smashed in midfield or lose the between the arcs territorial game because we cant cause turnovers - we are battling again. the backline is set and forward line is competitive unless injury keeps McGovern and Harry out - it is the midfield where all the performance question marks belong.

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy Ed Walsh pick themselves- it is the rest that need to lift to AFL standards.

If Murphy plays like he did after BB left, then we are half a chance, but his body is going to be the problem. Need someone to step up and cover for him. Nobody will know how Kreuzer will stand up until the season starts, but having another heart procedure a couple of weeks ago is not encouraging. We don't have much in the way of ruck stocks. Cross roads for SPS, Dow & Setterfield. All three have promised a lot, and now they have to stand up and be consistent every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Murphy plays like he did after BB left, then we are half a chance, but his body is going to be the problem. Need someone to step up and cover for him. Nobody will know how Kreuzer will stand up until the season starts, but having another heart procedure a couple of weeks ago is not encouraging. We don't have much in the way of ruck stocks. Cross roads for SPS, Dow & Setterfield. All three have promised a lot, and now they have to stand up and be consistent every week.
Agree with your point but I'd swap SPS for Cuningham in that group. SPS has shown a lot more during real games than those others - was really solid off half back through the back half of 2019.

Against Collingwood ressies? 8 years of promising the world and has never come close to delivering. He is not a natural forward, and plays much better behind the ball.
Yeah but he is needed up forward right now with Charlie, Gov and Harry out.

His best position is where the team needs him most !!

He was kept around for insurance in a number of roles and right now he is filling one of them roles.

He offers something different to each of those players except Simpson, and Simpson is closer to the end than the beginning. It's Simpson whose game he should attempt to model, and Simpson he should be replacing over the next few years.
Fair point but basic mathematics says it's still a spot in the 22 that one of Newman, Williamson, SPS, Stocker or Newnes can't fill.
His aim should be to replace Simmo, and good luck to him grabbing that chance.
I just think from an overall list perspective, if he has come from outside the top 30 on our list to grab a spot from a few others, then that is a real indictment on them.

Fair point but basic mathematics says it's still a spot in the 22 that one of Newman, Williamson, SPS, Stocker or Newnes can't fill.
His aim should be to replace Simmo, and good luck to him grabbing that chance.
I just think from an overall list perspective, if he has come from outside the top 30 on our list to grab a spot from a few others, then that is a real indictment on them.
I don't see Stocker and SPS as long term backline, and while Newman had a very good year last year I'd want him to be pushed out slowly over the course of the next 3-4 years.

Docherty - IMO - should stay behind the ball. Williamson is the smokey; we don't know what he could be, midfielder, backman? Essentially, we have space for 3 talls down back - first KPD, second KPD, Plowman (as a mixed catch-all defender) - and we have 4 smalls who rotate as long as Casboult's in the team (to provide cover, should one of the KPD's get injured). There's space for him, provided he continues to make up ground on the others, and provided he can develop into a Simpson-esque defender.

I agree Casboult is a better behind ball player than in front of that is why he is better as a ff rather than as a CHF. But he is also the best option we have up forward to make up 3 talls- poor bloke is criticized for being who he is not, rather than who he is. Jack and Kennedy were clueless as forwards in the Freo game - neither is a third tall in my books - Jack can't take a mark or kick a goal and Kennedy looked like he was wearing concrete boots. Forced to pick between the two I'd say SOJ has Kennedy covered at this stage.

Forward structure will be just fine if we get McGovern and Harry back in side - I have no concerns there and anyone will play better if they are just asked to pressure and find space when opposition will have to mark Casboult/Harry/McGovern and worry about Eddie and Martin.

Murphy will be just fine as will Ed and Simmo - we know what we get from these blokes week in week out.

SPS will play HBF more than mid- Docherty will take time to get match fit and touch back. If Williamson/Marchbank come on we suddenly have running options as well. backline isn't a problem.

Midfield needs two of: Cuningham/Fisher/Dow/Setterfield/LoB to lift above VFL standards so (again) we highlight lack of genuine wingman and hard bodied on baller in rotations in case of injury to Murph/Cripps or Ed. Not good enough to hide them on a wing or forward pocket as a mid Gibbons was easily better than Setefield/Dow and Cuningham in pracy matches....- apart from maybe Fisher. Martin showed them all up.

That is my only concern. As for Kreuzer -I expect Pittonet will be playing a fair bit - he is a decent tap ruck - maybe better than Kreuzer but not as smart or agile - TDK is a decent developing ruck/forward type.

Middling side who can cause an upset on any day is where I rate us atm - also can lose against sides we should beat - quite easily - because midfield rotations are fragile.

this is spot on. When you look at the bolded group, individually you wouldn’t be worried if they didn’t really grab the bull by the horns this season but as a group it would be extremely disappointing if a couple don’t really step up. I would also add SOJ and Kennedy to them as a couple who might get a run or role in there.

Last edited:

Seems that way.

No need for excuses for fourth and fifth year players - Setterfield, Kennedy, SPS, Fisher etc.
Not that we're trying to find excuses and I know that Fisher and SPS are keepers, but Setterfield's time is now and he has to be there to support the inside mids
I'm just not keen on him as a flanker that floats forward. Reckon he's better than that and time should show that to be the case.

It was very disappointing, no doubt.

It's hard to know how much stock we should put in the performance. Ed for example, did very little, and we know how consistent he is in the real stuff. And while we are all obviously disappointed in players like Setters and Cunners not putting their stamp on the match, and some fringe players not putting their hand up, it's hard to tell if you can really read much into it.

The thing that really stood out was just how bad our kicking was, which doesn't seem to be reflective of our general performance. Even Weiters was missing targets. And if only Jack, Gibbo and Cunners had converted the chances that they really should have, then the game looks pretty different.

There should be quite a few changes for this week, as we look to put out a side closer to our best. Really hope players like Samo, Plow, Marchy, Gov and LOB are right to go, and that we put in a much better performance.

Seems that way.

No need for excuses for fourth and fifth year players - Setterfield, Kennedy, SPS, Fisher etc.
Not that we're trying to find excuses and I know that Fisher and SPS are keepers, but Setterfield's time is now and he has to be there to support the inside mids
I'm just not keen on him as a flanker that floats forward. Reckon he's better than that and time should show that to be the case.
We could be a bit lenient with Setterfield he's really only played one season, but i agree with the rest of them. It's time to put the pedal to the metal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back