Martyn to miss opener

Remove this Banner Ad

35eye

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lifted from The Age's realfooty.com.au site...

Martyn to miss opener

Karen Lyon

Kangaroo veteran Mick Martyn will miss the start of the season after he had a recurrence of the hamstring problems that ruined 2001 for the premiership full-back.

Martyn received a slight tear in his hamstring during the Roos' 127-point win over St Kilda at Moorabbin yesterday and will miss the next three weeks.

Roos skipper Wayne Carey will be examined by club doctors today, after he received another knock to the hip he injured a fortnight ago. Last year's best-and-fairest winner Shannon Grant also copped a kick to the shins. He is expected to play next week.

Kangaroos coach Denis Pagan believes Carey will be right for the trip to Perth next weekend, when the Roos take on West Coast in the final round of practice matches.

The Roos are devastated by the injury to the 33-year-old full-back. "I don't think Mick will be right, now," Pagan said. "It is a 21-day injury and I think it is 20 days till the start of the season. It is a big risk to take.

"We said to Mick, 'We are concerned that your body won't stand up' (after) last year and Mick said he wanted to give it a crack. We said, 'If anyone can do it, it is you and we will give you that right'. It's not a surprise to us and I feel for Mick but it's not a surprise."

In the context of the match it may not be that huge a loss, given that Port Adelaide don't have many big forwards to match up on. Good form suggests that Martyn would have played against Port if not for his injury, and I don't think the Port forward line has enough talls to justify us taking Martyn, McCartney, Colbert, Baird (if promoted), and Bourke :mad: all into the same match.

Tredrea and Lade are big guys, but Montgomery is a medium sized player, and Cornes is tall but not physically big and strong. Can't think of any more than that.

Perhaps Colbert on Montgomery, Baird on Cornes and McCartney on Tredrea. Petrie on Lade if both play, leaving Archer to play at half forward. Still plenty of options, and I think against arguably the quickest side in the competition, losing a 33 year old 101kg player with no legspeed isn't the worst case scenario.

I do hope Mick gets back on track with minimum fuss and no setbacks, as he deserves to bow out with style in his last season.

Apply more pressure

Originally posted by Darky

Tredrea and Lade are big guys, but Montgomery is a medium sized player, and Cornes is tall but not physically big and strong. Can't think of any more than that.

Perhaps Colbert on Montgomery, Baird on Cornes and McCartney on Tredrea. Petrie on Lade if both play, leaving Archer to play at half forward. Still plenty of options, and I think against arguably the quickest side in the competition, losing a 33 year old 101kg player with no legspeed isn't the worst case scenario.

It's the centre clearances / applying the pressure on thier littl' guys that can deliver the ball straight down the throat of Tredrea who I think will be too big for our Jase. Jase would need to Play in front and don't let Tredrea play body on body.

Don't forget Stewy DEW!! another goalkicking option for them.
Porter needs to beat Primus / centre clearances are the winning
edge. Sure to be a great match, worth 8pts for North if we get up.
Archer would be a great option in the forward line along with Choppy. Whether we use Petrie to cover Lade, it still comes to the centreline control/pressure. As you mentioned Darky, they have a quick side but don't match North on the hard ball gets yet.
We don't have Stevo either. :( I have faith in our forwards to be able to kick a winning score but the control out of the centre is the prime concern.:confused:

;) Will tip North anyway....this game means ahelluvalot in the tipping comps.....

Well knowing our history against Port- I tip us to win... even if it isnt by alot- Porter will be a good match for Primus- they both are strong.

Our midfield- isnt that slow- and we are a hard at the ball side- most of our players go in hard- Sav's in great form- Careys in the best for hes been in for ages- we have had alot of contributors over the Wizard Cup match and practise matches (goal contributions- yesterday we had 11) so we arent short on them- our defence wont be tooo bad...

It'll be won in the ruck and the middle..

Roos by 15pts- to be in the top 8 to start the season. Port will start in the bottom 8.

Go Roos

Mick has said in the Herald/Sun today.....

"It wasn't a pull ,it was more a twinge and I stopped immediately."

"I will miss the match in Wa next week , then we have a bye , so I should be right for the first game."

I hope you are right Mick!

Darky makes a good point about Port's FF.
Most of the traffic comes via Tredrea who can be hot or cold depending on the day.....

I would not discount Chad Cornes who has beefed up a bit and now has a couple of seasons under his belt.

Experience is now a major factor in favour of Port.(who are still to record a win against us in the home / away season.)

Stuey Dew is a major worry for North this time around. He carved us up in the Ansett Cup Final last year at Footy Park. Seems to really lift with the local crowd cheering him on and he can be very damaging from outside 50m.

Shutting Dew down will go a long way towards a North win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back