Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all, I've been absent for a while settling in to my new digs on the Sunshine coast so haven't posted much in the last 2 years but one issue has got me a bit fired up.

What's with footy commentators making disparaging comments about Mason Cox and his goggles. Having read about what Mason has been through in nearly losing his eyesight and the fact that he basically has no choice but to wear eye protection if he wants to play, I have to say that I'm pretty disgusted at some of the schoolboy comments coming out of some of our best known commentators. Any diligent commentator could have acquainted themselves with the facts before making stupid comments such as "I don't know what he's thinking" and similar disparaging remarks. Frankly I believe that those commentators should be making a public apology and setting the record straight for the public about why Mason has little choice. To me their behavior and unwillingness to educate themselves before commenting show them in a very poor light. It's unprofessional and plain ignorant.

Hi all, I've been absent for a while settling in to my new digs on the Sunshine coast so haven't posted much in the last 2 years but one issue has got me a bit fired up.

What's with footy commentators making disparaging comments about Mason Cox and his goggles. Having read about what Mason has been through in nearly losing his eyesight and the fact that he basically has no choice but to wear eye protection if he wants to play, I have to say that I'm pretty disgusted at some of the schoolboy comments coming out of some of our best known commentators. Any diligent commentator could have acquainted themselves with the facts before making stupid comments such as "I don't know what he's thinking" and similar disparaging remarks. Frankly I believe that those commentators should be making a public apology and setting the record straight for the public about why Mason has little choice. To me their behavior and unwillingness to educate themselves before commenting show them in a very poor light. It's unprofessional and plain ignorant.
The simple fact is there is still a large pool of Collingwood haters in the commentary ranks.

Everyone within the industry are intimately aware of this.

It has been going on for many decades.

It won't change.

I also get frustrated with the commentary at times. The Hawks match was painful to listen to. However credit where credit’s due, a few matches ago Daisy Pearce (from memory) went out of her way to emphasise that Mason’s goggles are not a gimmick or sponsorship thing but are essential for his health short and long term and pointed out the dire consequences if Mason suffered another eye injury.
I wonder if the Channel 7 commentary team review their performances or if it’s a bit of a bubble.

I'm in the minority, possible even on my own, I think Mason needs to have some faith shown in him. Keep him in the forward line for a few more games, give him say, 5 games to prove his worth. If he is in and out like a yo-yo, his confidence will never rise.
He might be 30ish but he's still an athlete with a brain, he would know he had a shocker and know that he needs to do more. He also might know it's time to make a call, for his eyes and body.
I knew my enthusiasm would pay off! Hahaha, still...lucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back