Remove this Banner Ad

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey all,

Just need a bit of advice and help regarding match worn guernseys.
I have the oppertunity to buy a few match worn items. I must say they look legit but they were given to this person as a player is a friend of the family, so no COA.
Is there any markings, tags or anything of that nature on them that differs from the stuff that can be bought from any afl store?

And is there any way of telling if its player worn and not just player issued etc?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi mate

No legitimate coa makes it hard to distinguish if an item is truely a match worn, and i say 'legitimate' coa as many people tend make their own.

I assume you are looking into Port Adelaide match worn gear, to my knowledge the only difference between a retail PA guernsey and a player worn would be the 'fit' of the guernsey - player ones are more tighter, as well as having sublimated numbers on the rear - no iron on's obviously.

But in saying that, if someone got their hands on a player issue guernsey (an official guernsey made for the player), they could very much easily pass it on as a match worn, when it is in fact only a player issue, an unworn spare.

Just a few things to look out for

Ok can you blokes plz have a look.
Im convinced the Robbie Gray White Guernsey is either macth worn or player issue.
But can you have a look at the second one. im not sure??

Gray
http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa420/adz2332/?action=view&current=photo3.jpg

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums...aa420/adz2332/?action=view&current=photo2.jpg

This is the one i want some opinions on plz

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa420/adz2332/?action=view&current=photo4.jpg

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums...aa420/adz2332/?action=view&current=photo5.jpg

I'd say the Gray is absolutely match worn, because the GPS pouch is there. Obviously they didn't have player GPS in the early 00s and that Planet Teal jumper is from 2009 (Marlon Motlop, it looks like), so not sure if that should have a GPS or not. Either way, I reckon a Planet Teal player issue (your worst case scenario) would still be a very good get, as long as they're not asking for outrageous money.

I didn't think marlon Motlop played in either of the two rounds that they wore that jumper?? That's why I'm not sure if it is player issue?? And you all think the Pre season jumPer is match worn also?? I haven't 100% agreed on a price yet but what do you think they would roughly be worth??

I didn't think marlon Motlop played in either of the two rounds that they wore that jumper?? That's why I'm not sure if it is player issue?? And you all think the Pre season jumPer is match worn also?? I haven't 100% agreed on a price yet but what do you think they would roughly be worth??

Player issue means it was made for the player, doesn't matter if they played that round or not.

AFL Tables has Motlop wearing #11 for Port in 2009. He played three games that year, Rd 9/11/12 (not sure if that helps). http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Marlon_Motlop.html

With those sort of jumpers, they'd make them for every player on the list and then just auction off all the unused (player issueds) from their website. Personally, I don't really care if the jumpers are match worn/or player issued, as long as they were made for the player and are completely legit, that's good enough for me. Others feel differently.

It's tough to give a ballpark figure, because the Planet Teal and 01-02 pre-season are pretty unique jumpers (you wouldn't see these popping up on ebay too often). The Gray one is a bit different, as it's a current jumper/design, so you'll be able to get a pretty similar one when they are available on the club website, if you want. I'd say a player worn standard match day guernsey for a player like Gray would probably go for about $200-350. As for the other two, I'm guessing they'd get $600+ on ebay, as they are a lot rarer than the standard match worn jumpers you can get on there.

I'll put in a disclaimer that's just what I'd imagine is a fair price for them (I'm a bit more confident about the Gray one). By no means take what I'm saying as gospel...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks very much. Yer I wasn't so sure as he didn't play those two rounds they wore that jumper, but it makes sense every player would have at least one made for them. I'll definatley put an offer in for them and end up getting them individually framed

Nice guernseys mate.

With not being certain that they are match worn, You can always just treat them as authentic player issues.

Still great quality guernseys and not easy to find.

As long as your not paying over the top figures, very good gets.

It's hard tho as none of the items have COAs

Only a concern on re-sale (if you ever intend to), in my opinion. Certificate or not, they're legit.

I assume there's independent places you can go to, to get them authenticated, if you wanted to, or, as an alternative, you could perhaps try to get Gray, Motlop and whoever the other jumper belonged to, to sign the jumpers and get their photo taken with you and the jumper or something. Like I said, I wouldn't stress too much about that, unless you're planning to sell them one day.

A COA helps if you want to determine a match worn from a player issue (match worns sell for more) but only if it's a club-issued COA.

Offer and only pay player-issue prices since the seller can't prove match worn-ness.

Yer that's a fair point. I wouldn't resell but as long as they appear player issue I'm not fussed if it was match worn or not. Just as long as they are legit. But I will get the grey one signed tho

I'd be pretty confident they were player issue.
All you then need to do is look up whether the player played in the game they were made for.
If it's Marlon Motlop, then he didn't play, so it's player issue.
But I can't image you could buy these anywhere else, with the correct logos, and if anyone had made them they would have to make them with the correct collars, which these are.
If you're not selling them, I would say you could be confident that they are legitimate club jumpers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back