"Match worn guernsey" rorts

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
This one was discovered by a few smart types on the Footy Jumpers & Graphic Design board, and I wondered if anybody else had an experience to share.

West Coast auctioned off (or are in the process of doing) the players' actual match jumpers from the Grand Final.

Now of course, when a player wins a flag you're not going to get his GF jumper off him... so the theory is there were multiple jumpers and players changed at half-time. The auctions started.

Until a few clued-in posters worked out that few - if any - of the players changed jumpers. Photos and stills from the match footage show players clearly wearing jumpers with the same stains on them right throughout the match. And those jumpers remain in the players' possession.

Apparently the players have better things to do at half time of a GF than change jumpers so that the club can squeeze a few more quid out of a flag in the event they win. Who'd have thunk

So West Coast were forced to re-start the auctions, this time admitting the jumpers weren't match-worn, but "player issue" - ie they sat folded-up in the kit man's bag in case there was a blood rule etc.

Pretty dodgy.

Now it's not a shot at West Coast, because apparently Richmond did the same thing last year and were pulled up on it, admitting only 3 of the 22 jumpers were actually match-worn.

Somebody else mentioned it's been going on for years, right back to Collingwood in 2010.

Is this something clubs have been trying forever? Has anybody been ripped off by one of these schemes? Or did you get a legit one and all was good?

This one was discovered by a few smart types on the Footy Jumpers & Graphic Design board, and I wondered if anybody else had an experience to share.

West Coast auctioned off (or are in the process of doing) the players' actual match jumpers from the Grand Final.

Now of course, when a player wins a flag you're not going to get his GF jumper off him... so the theory is there were multiple jumpers and players changed at half-time. The auctions started.

Until a few clued-in posters worked out that few - if any - of the players changed jumpers. Photos and stills from the match footage show players clearly wearing jumpers with the same stains on them right throughout the match. And those jumpers remain in the players' possession.

Apparently the players have better things to do at half time of a GF than change jumpers so that the club can squeeze a few more quid out of a flag in the event they win. Who'd have thunk

So West Coast were forced to re-start the auctions, this time admitting the jumpers weren't match-worn, but "player issue" - ie they sat folded-up in the kit man's bag in case there was a blood rule etc.

Pretty dodgy.

Now it's not a shot at West Coast, because apparently Richmond did the same thing last year and were pulled up on it, admitting only 3 of the 22 jumpers were actually match-worn.

Somebody else mentioned it's been going on for years, right back to Collingwood in 2010.

Is this something clubs have been trying forever? Has anybody been ripped off by one of these schemes? Or did you get a legit one and all was good?

Happens at every club. If it is for charity then they get a pass.... but not good is it!

A spare kit bag GF jumper...lol

There’s a sucker born every minute.

WC fans are the ultimate memorabilia nuts. I don’t blame the club for milking it for all it’s worth.

Even if the go about ripping off fans in the most disgraceful way imaginable.

It’s all about the money....it has to come from somewhere to pay the WAFL all those millions.

Wtf

Pretty dodgy.

WTF would an adult want with another person's soiled clothes anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A spare kit bag GF jumper...lol

There’s a sucker born every minute.

WC fans are the ultimate memorabilia nuts. I don’t blame the club for milking it for all it’s worth.

Even if the go about ripping off fans in the most disgraceful way imaginable.

It’s all about the money....it has to come from somewhere to pay the WAFL all those millions.

Lots of Khyber Pass claims, no attempt to support the most basic of claims, & the pay the WAFL all those millions suggests its just a very sad example of envy.
Are you up to admitting its a poor example of p155'n'wind from the Khyber region?

Got a couple of Collingwood 'player worn' guernseys for $54 each in an end of season auction a couple of years ago. But it was very transparent that they weren't guaranteed to have been worn that season given each player gets issued so many home, away, and clash strips. But given the replicas on the website were the same as I got the two player issued ones for in the auction I wasn't complaining.

I do love you mum.

Many years back I bought one of these - a match-worn guernsey. Wanted Hodge but as he rocketed past $2k, I went for a young player (can't even remember who now it was first game in Tassie IIRC). My bid won, and a few weeks later it had arrived in the mail. Well, mum's address anyway (I worked away was gone for 2-3 months at a time).

Getting the package, she opened it for me and seeing it was dirty decided to wash it for me.

I had forgotten about it by the time I came home, and only found it months later when I came across a strange guernsey in my wardrobe, neatly folded away. At first she didn't remember, but then it came back to her - how it was all dirty and she had washed it separately - she even admonished me for sending it to her (for the record, I have NEVER mailed dirty clothes to mum to be washed).

I may have taken it to the local oval, worn it and tried to get it dirty again - but in my mind I knew and it was never the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back