Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός

Website link
The Collingwood Football Club has strengthened its Academy Program with the arrival of Western Bulldogs premiership player Matthew Boyd in the role of Development Coach.

Development is interesting. I'd personally prefer experienced coaches at this point, but I hope Boyd is good for us.

So what are Boyds coaching credentials? has he had much experience outside playing for the role? Done his coaching cert 4 course? etc? Or is it about getting some Dogs IP into the club?
I'm fine with rookie coaches in developmental roles. Working with young players to become better at what they do is a good role for any rookie coach. I'd have an issue if he was being recruited as an assistant for the senior coaching panel, but that's not the case.

I'm fine with rookie coaches in developmental roles. Working with young players to become better at what they do is a good role for any rookie coach. I'd have an issue if he was being recruited as an assistant for the senior coaching panel, but that's not the case.

Also dipping his toe in to the assistant ranks with a line coach role in VFL.

Yes, i feel the same way here. He is coming straight from the playing ranks, so has a lot of invaluable recent experience about the trends in the game, as well as what he's learned from a 15-year on-field career of almost 300 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much risk starting him as a development coach, knows what it takes to get the best out of himself.

Yeah I guess if he can be an influence on all the under 25 players in how to conduct themselves, how to prepare and how to train then its good I guess.

If he can share some IP too that's always handy

Development coach under the academy banner was Rocca's title last season. Appointment makes sense as the club (Buckley?) have previously said we're looking to play similar to the dogs.

Good news. It's good to get someone fresh out of the system who has inside knowledge of the inner workings of a good team. We admitted last year that we were modelling ourselves on the Bulldogs. So it makes sense.

This isn't a substitute though for a good assistant coach, and I am hopeful we have another big announcement to come.

On the face of it it seems a good appointment. Boyd would have to have a lot of character and knowledge to achieve what he has. The question is can he teach? I hope Geoff Walsh gave it a tick. Unfortunately I don't trust Nathan Buckley's judgement in this area.

Good news. It's good to get someone fresh out of the system who has inside knowledge of the inner workings of a good team. We admitted last year that we were modelling ourselves on the Bulldogs. So it makes sense.

This isn't a substitute though for a good assistant coach, and I am hopeful we have another big announcement to come.
Rocca's replacement, still need to fill Burns' role.

Look I may just be dumb but development of players is not something we have excelled at and given we have a reasonable young list surely this is crucial to our future success. The overall opinion seems to be a good get on general reasons, post dogs, fresh from the game, but wtf does that have to do with development? I assume from this appointment development is something we think any tom dick or boyd can do without anymore than a decent afl history.

Good get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good get? Great get more like it, he's got senior coach written all over him in 10 years, maybe sooner.

A lot of senior coaches have started in a development coaching role, Alan Richardson and Luke Beveridge to name a few connected to Collingwood, they learn the business starting down this path and work their way on to line coaching.

Welcome to Magpie Land, Boydy.

Look I may just be dumb but development of players is not something we have excelled at and given we have a reasonable young list surely this is crucial to our future success. The overall opinion seems to be a good get on general reasons, post dogs, fresh from the game, but wtf does that have to do with development? I assume from this appointment development is something we think any tom dick or boyd can do without anymore than a decent afl history.

Well...I mean, I guess that would depend on how you define development.

If Boyd's job is predominantly to guide the young players (let's say under 25?) on preparation, training methods and leadership, is that not a form of development?

As an added bonus he can also impart knowledge on Bulldogs IP that could suit our club.

Very good appointment.

Report there could be 1 or 2 more Assistants bring in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back