Matthew Boyd joins as a Development Coach for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I have zero idea if he'll actually be any good in the job, but he'd be right up there amongst the recent retirees as someone I'd like to see brought in. Much respected by my Bulldogs supporting friends and family. So I'm happy with this appointment.

Has Luke Hodge said what he's doing next year?

NOt sure if he is or isn't but I have a feeling that he isn't the problem.
For a while, I've suspected that our fitness levels have had a direct impact upon our ability to perform skills in match situations.
In other words -our fitness preparation has impacted our ability to execute skills late in quarters and matches.
Just a feeling.
So what was the cause at the start and in the middle of quarters?
;)

So what was the cause at the start and in the middle of quarters?
;)
TBH I don't think there's as much of a problem as we tend to think - particularly first quarters when pace is generally frenetic and every team tends to turn it over repeatedly. We notice our clangers an dnot so much the oppositions. Re-watch the first quarter against Melbourne - their clanger count borders on ridiculuous. That said, we missed three easy kicks in the first 5 minutes as well. I don;t even think its a skill issue rather - vision/spacial awareness and decision making.

Good get.

Anyone coming into the club that has reached the ultimate success at another club is a good get at this point, because we have so little of that in the coaching group at the moment.

He will assist Rivers and the VFL/youth development too no doubt, but Bucks and the coaching group will be able to take a lot of IP from Boyd going forward.

He comes from a club with a more innovative planning and development strategy then ours, so hopefully he is allowed to add something new to what is a pretty stale and unimaginative coaching group.

Our coaching group copies, Buckley has admitted as much. To be succesful you need to innovate, come up with strategies that are different to anything anyone is doing, because that's what ultimately wins flags, and recent history shows that.

Matthew Boyd coming to the Pies links back to when Johnny Boyd , Matthew great uncle , "the peanut man" was a regular selling bags of peanuts at Vic Park in the 70's & 80's

AoSkWNY.jpg

Really like this appointment. A good starting point in development with a little bit of coaching as a VFL line coach too.

As a bloke who played 292 games off a rookie list (without an abundance of talent) he knows how hard you need to work to make it as a senior AFL player. He also set the standard at training at the Dogs too with his professionalism; if he can impart some of that on our young blokes that would be fantastic.

Coming from a club who tasted the ultimate success last year doesn't hurt either. Welcome aboard Matty!

I'm fine with rookie coaches in developmental roles. Working with young players to become better at what they do is a good role for any rookie coach. I'd have an issue if he was being recruited as an assistant for the senior coaching panel, but that's not the case.

Im not potting perse it just wanting to see his backgrouind and credentials.

He may or may not prove to be a good development coach and I disagree that its a non critical role, in fact is very important to have the right people in this role as it will either help our youth to forge forwards or stagnate. Hopefully he is brilliant at it.

As a player and an on field leader he was a hard worker and very demanding of his teammates. Along with Daniel Cross, they set the benchmark on fitness and discipline at the club.

So no extra curricular activities like getting his cert 4 in coaching?
Good get.

Anyone coming into the club that has reached the ultimate success at another club is a good get at this point, because we have so little of that in the coaching group at the moment.

He will assist Rivers and the VFL/youth development too no doubt, but Bucks and the coaching group will be able to take a lot of IP from Boyd going forward.

He comes from a club with a more innovative planning and development strategy then ours, so hopefully he is allowed to add something new to what is a pretty stale and unimaginative coaching group.

Our coaching group copies, Buckley has admitted as much. To be succesful you need to innovate, come up with strategies that are different to anything anyone is doing, because that's what ultimately wins flags, and recent history shows that.

Not so sure we do copy rather he was stating it was most like Dogs with bits of Hawks ball movement when probed. Buckley tried to bring in a fresh style in 2012 and was told it was too complicated for that playing group so he had to dial it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may be a good get but it's hard to be excited with his appointment due to a lot of unknowns.

In my opinion I think he will be a great appointment. A guy who didn't get drafted in his year, worked hard the following year to get a rookie spot and the rest is history. Too me that shows that he would make a good development coach ahead of being a backline assistant coach.

I wish we still had McCrae :( but I have always admired and respected Boyd so I am happy to have him on board.

On the face of it it seems a good appointment. Boyd would have to have a lot of character and knowledge to achieve what he has. The question is can he teach? I hope Geoff Walsh gave it a tick. Unfortunately I don't trust Nathan Buckley's judgement in this area.
So if he's no good it's Buckleys' fault and if he is good it's because of Geoff Walsh.

On the face of it it seems a good appointment. Boyd would have to have a lot of character and knowledge to achieve what he has. The question is can he teach? I hope Geoff Walsh gave it a tick. Unfortunately I don't trust Nathan Buckley's judgement in this area.

So if he's no good it's Buckleys' fault and if he is good it's because of Geoff Walsh.
He was interviewed on SEN and they asked him how it came about.
You'll be pleased to know he spoke with Walshy first and then had, (that famous) coffee with Bucks.

He was interviewed on SEN and they asked him how it came about.
You'll be pleased to know he spoke with Walshy first and then had, (that famous) coffee with Bucks.
Don't worry, it will still be Bucks' fault if he fails.

Just consider for a moment, what if your local school, be that whatever it is, announced they'd employed a star year 12 graduate to teach your kids? Personally I wouldn't be impressed as they know sfa about teaching, have simply qualified in learning. Now extreme in comparison or maybe just irrelevant, but I think it is a simple and reasonable question, what are the qualifications of a prospective coach in actual coaching; in particular, in development? Surely at this level we would be looking for a whole range of credentials.

Going from what I have read from Boyd is that he is a hard trainer, good leader and comes from a team that had success two years ago. WTF! Is that what it takes at this level to become a coach?

How about I make a suggestion, that the appointment as development coach is a crock of shite. We wanted him on, so gave him a role, it wasn't like he was seriously interviewed for the position of development coach in particular.

So, are we really giving development what it deserves?

edit: it is probably more like an honours/masters student tutoring graduate students at Uni level. Still that is defined as such, not as a developmental coach.

Last edited:
Don't know much about him or his ability to coach, other than from the outside he certainly appears to be someone with a great mindset as far as being professional and diligent. Have heard him interviewed a few times and he seems to have had a great determination to succeed. If he can impart some of those traits into the younger players then its a win as far as their 'development' goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back