Matthew Boyd joins as a Development Coach for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he is good fit. The development of our younger players has been disappointing in recent years. We seem to bring them in, they look good, then plateau.

Boyd definitely got the most out of himself as a player, let's hope he can translate that to ours.

Don't know who that is
337104_f67e88fe9ae1e2e7192955f184b0b5d3.jpg

Don't know much about him or his ability to coach, other than from the outside he certainly appears to be someone with a great mindset as far as being professional and diligent. Have heard him interviewed a few times and he seems to have had a great determination to succeed. If he can impart some of those traits into the younger players then its a win as far as their 'development' goes.
Bullocks. Nothing personal. If they dont have a great mindset to start with, a determination to succeed then why have we recruited them. Surely we have better roles for a coach than this. Frankly this is one of the hardest things to instill and, at the age most players come to the afl, fat chance to make a difference.

Bullocks. Nothing personal. If they dont have a great mindset to start with, a determination to succeed then why have we recruited them. Surely we have better roles for a coach than this. Frankly this is one of the hardest things to instill and, at the age most players come to the afl, fat chance to make a difference.

In a perfect world, they would all come into the system with such a mindset. They would probably all say they do. Every recruiter would hear it from every recruit. What were the words? - "I'll never let you down" or something similar. A couple years later we hear stories of attitude problems, commitment issues, bullshitting to the club etc etc. Anyway, it was more of a general comment on the guy, because beyond that, who really knows what his best attributes are going to be. Hope he goes well

Im actually happy with this and i like the role he has been given. Not chucking him in the deep end straight into a line coach or anything like that, it's good.

I am more curious however, who will we bring to replace Burns' role as assistant coach.

fb6e25855035e0046eafd6785a2b938f

No-one works harder than Matty Boyd at anything in life, that much you can be sure of.

I'm surprised he's in development. Watching him at VFL level this year has taken some of that away but he seems very old school and not as good as maybe some others with relating to Gen Y.

He's a little bit like Bucks I guess, not the ultimate people person but a harder, determined and more focussed worker you will not find.

Hope he works out well for you guys, except in any competition with us.

I like the fact that when he was a rookie he called Luke Darcy out in front of everyone that he didn't finish his weights session.
Darcy should have slapped him down for that (if true).

No-one works harder than Matty Boyd at anything in life, that much you can be sure of.

I'm surprised he's in development. Watching him at VFL level this year has taken some of that away but he seems very old school and not as good as maybe some others with relating to Gen Y.

He's a little bit like Bucks I guess, not the ultimate people person but a harder, determined and more focussed worker you will not find.

+1, lets make Didak head of development and the academy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started his career in 2003 at the age of 21. Still managed to play 292 games, the most out of any rookie drafted player.

He's the pinnacle of hard work and determination in the AFL. You could do no better for a role model.

The way I see it, coaching requires a totally different skill set to playing. Yes playing gives them the requisite knowledge, but not the coaching skills. I don't understand why AFL clubs recruit guys straight out of the game, without a coaching or teaching background. Surely for a role like this, they should be chasing guys who have excelled coaching in the State leagues or U18 competitions.

Thanks for the input on Boyd
Always amazed how people have an opinion about someone they dont know, As mentioned previously were all a lot better informed when WE DONT listen to the msm (robbo, ralph, waldron, mcclure, Watson ect ect), maybe youre opinion on bucks is influenced by those idiots and there long held biases.
Adams HOWE treloer ,dunn, crisp, grundy and COX proves that at least they think his people skills are fine seeing all took unders to come which shows they KNOW JACK s**t again.
Recent reports also suggest that BEVO isnt great with kids either (you dont believe that off course)

In a perfect world, they would all come into the system with such a mindset. They would probably all say they do. Every recruiter would hear it from every recruit. What were the words? - "I'll never let you down" or something similar. A couple years later we hear stories of attitude problems, commitment issues, bullshitting to the club etc etc. Anyway, it was more of a general comment on the guy, because beyond that, who really knows what his best attributes are going to be. Hope he goes well
Exactly. Reality is, maybe one in a hundred come into the system with ready made ideal mindset. In the business world, you surround yourself with the best people to maximise results. Sport is no different. Someone like Boyd can coach, teach and install work ethic and values attributable to himself on our young players. There will be exceptions to the rule like you suggest, and these certain individuals who are not coachable will quickly be found out and moved on.

Started his career in 2003 at the age of 21. Still managed to play 292 games, the most out of any rookie drafted player.

He's the pinnacle of hard work and determination in the AFL. You could do no better for a role model.
Nice. A football club can never have too much quality of people like Boyd around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back