Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How exactly do we get to suffocate the club? By posting on Big Footy?
Think about this:

The new coach is trying to sell his image as a communicator and trying to build team morale.

You then have people on BF saying the above situation is over the top. What are the alternatives?
- the new coach zips up and doesn’t say anything until he wins a premiership?
- the new coach sells his image as a doofus who hates dealing with players and fans?

Nothing wrong with being negative, but the negativity needs to fit with the context.

tend to agree. All that matters is wins

I’ve nothing against Nicks, he’s seems a good bloke but I’ve still got awful Sando vibes here

I’ll be surprised if he lasts more than 3 years here. The honeymoon won’t last long
It certainly has that 'interim' look about it. Always thought the late search for a coach would produce a stopgap before the real coach is found. And Yep, he seems like a good bloke though, regardless of club propaganda.

Pretty much every coach gets sacked because he loses the playing group at some stage.
With list turnover levels now, think that maybe a thought from the past ......mostly, it's Coach's who can't coach, or communicate appropriately .....or the Administration lose's patience

Think about this:

The new coach is trying to sell his image as a communicator and trying to build team morale.

You then have people on BF saying the above situation is over the top. What are the alternatives?
- the new coach zips up and doesn’t say anything until he wins a premiership?
- the new coach sells his image as a doofus who hates dealing with players and fans?

Nothing wrong with being negative, but the negativity needs to fit with the context.
John BF is HUGELY overrated re it's influence on club thinking ......think of a number between 0% - 2%

Are you truly, which of the following describes you.
  • an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome;
  • the attitude or practise of accepting a situation as it is and being prepared to deal with it accordingly.

Are you truly, which of the following describes you.
  • an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome;
  • the attitude or practise of accepting a situation as it is and being prepared to deal with it accordingly.
This one F725DD12-3285-407E-94CA-1ADDBF9F104C.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree it probably doesn’t affect the club directly. Though some of the constant negativity on here is downright embarrassing, I just feel compelled to say something.
The negativity is well founded though. It's only natural that years of mediocrity will turn people into pessimists and erode the faith they have in the club. The onus is on the the club to turn things around and prove those people wrong, not the other way around.

I don't personally have any issue with how the club is promoting Nicks but I can understand people being skeptical. The communication between the club and fans has been atrocious the last couple of years. We've had lies about injuries, PR disasters like CM, players being announced as retired when they were actually delisted, a player leaking to the media, Roo telling fans to go support another club, review findings not released to the public etc. Whoever manages the clubs PR is a dead set moron.

Last edited:
In your own words, you have not answered the question.
which of the following describes you.

Optimist move, realist stay still and Pessimist move backwards is another way of looking at it.
PS do you know that Optimists are generally more successful.

In your own words, you have not answered the question.
which of the following describes you.

Optimist move, realist stay still and Pessimist move backwards is another way of looking at it.
PS do you know that Optimists are generally more successful.
Neither and they aren’t your own words either.

Neither and they aren’t your own words either.

Of course they're not my own words,
So you answer neither what if I expand on them

Pessimism: an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome; a lack of hope or confidence in the future.

Realism: the attitude or practice of accepting a situation as it is and being prepared to deal with it accordingly;

Of course they're not my own words,
So you answer neither what if I expand on them

Pessimism: an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome; a lack of hope or confidence in the future.

Realism: the attitude or practice of accepting a situation as it is and being prepared to deal with it accordingly;
So when you ask me in my own words you didn’t need to?

I’ve given you the definition that covers me. I don’t need to fit in your narrow definition.

So when you ask me in my own words you didn’t need to?

I’ve given you the definition that covers me. I don’t need to fit in your narrow definition.
Read again, I only ask you to answer the question,
When I mention In your own words, you have not answered the question, I was going on the many time you have asked others to answer the question.
Also, you did not give me a definition you used a quote for people to put on the walls.
And your not a realist as they also look forward.

Read again, I only ask you to answer the question,
When I mention In your own words, you have not answered the question, I was going on the many time you have asked others to answer the question.
Also, you did not give me a definition you used a quote for people to put on the walls.
And your not a realist as they also look forward.
I gave you a definition that applies to real life, I can’t help it you’re not up with it

Pretty much every coach gets sacked because he loses the playing group at some stage.
That's true, first they lose the players, then the fans and finally the club managers. One of the, if not the, major reason is stubborness. Coaches get set in their ways, whether its gameplay, selection policy, communication, whatever - when it stops working the coach that is stubborn and won't adapt or change is the one that gets sacked. Once they start blaming everyone but themselves, they're gone.

That's true, first they lose the players, then the fans and finally the club managers. One of the, if not the, major reason is stubborness. Coaches get set in their ways, whether its gameplay, selection policy, communication, whatever - when it stops working the coach that is stubborn and won't adapt or change is the one that gets sacked. Once they start blaming everyone but themselves, they're gone.
In retrospect, the entire back half of 2019 was Don Pyke doing a hail mary to save his own ass. His selection policies made no sense at all. He was picking as much experience as possible despite some of those guys being either out of form or completely cooked. I think this is what I resent the most. He damaged our long term health by being selfish and thinking short term. When he picked Jacobs for a dead rubber in the final round, I felt like throttling the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back