Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because sacking Nick's exposes them to ridicule

It ends any ' rebuild is complete' line

It can potentially cause poor attendance at games

All things that scare the club more than continuing the same path hoping for some kind of miracle
If we think the rebuild is complete we should definitely sack Nicks. It's complete when you're a top 4 side. We aren't so by that metric he has to go

If we'd gone backwards while Berry, Schoenberg, Pedlar, McHenry, Jones were all getting some midfield time you could cop it to a degree because they'll improve collectively but Crouch, Keays, Laird are at the maximum of their output.

There's no room for improvement

If we'd gone backwards while Berry, Schoenberg, Pedlar, McHenry, Jones were all getting some midfield time you could cop it to a degree because they'll improve collectively but Crouch, Keays, Laird are at the maximum of their output.

There's no room for improvement
We just need to get Sloane back and everything will be fine.

He was never the right man for the job, choosing Nicks was an awful decision that will hurt us for years to come. When he was appointed I was one of very few dissenting voices.

Picking an untried coach who has worked under the likes of Cameron and Hinkley was only going to end one way.
There were a few dissenting voices but there weren't many of us. The problem is that the club had/has been run so badly that better coaches didn't apply or were overlooked by Riccuito and Fagan. I think Yze would have done a much better job but we will never know. I think the main problem is that while Riccuito has a significant input into our choice of coach we will keep picking Neale/Don mark 2. The coach is only one half of the problem anyway but if any decent coach accepts the job when Nick's is fired they will likely demand changes to list management and recruiting as a prerequisite for taking the job. If the club doesn't agree any decent coach should walk away.

Last edited:
There were a few dissenting voices but there weren't many of us. The problem is that the club had/has been run so badly that better coaches didn't apply or were overlooked by Riccuito and Fagan. I think Yze would have done a much better job but we will never know. I think the main problem is that while Riccuito has a significant input into our choice of coach we will keep picking Neale/Don mark 2. The coach is only one half of the problem anyway but if any decent coach accepts the job when Nick's is fired they will likely demand changes to list management and recruiting as a prerequisite for taking the job. If the club doesn't agree any decent coach should walk away.
There are only 18 of these jobs in the WORLD.

Take out the likes of GCS, GWS and North and that shrinks further.

Take out those who were in or coming from a dynasty, even further.

You are left with the likes of Freo and Power for even a sniff at the top job. So effectively 3 or 4 jobs in the WORLD!

There's no way on earth they picked the best person available at the time, they went for the easy option.

I think part of the problem is we had to make a choice when it came to the coach. I don't think there was anyone who was the complete package, so we either go for a tactical guy and hope he could learn the man management stuff, or go for a man manager and hope he can develop the tactical stuff.

Given the failure of Pyke to do the former I think we prioritised going with the latter in an effort to rebuild the club culture as a priority. That in itself isn't a bad decision, but you have to be honest with yourself if the guy can't develop the tactical side and you either need to bring in someone for that specifically (which is something Hinkley often had with Walsh/Richardson/Voss, what Goodwin got with Alan Richardson too, Hardwick with Caracella, McRae with Leppitsch etc), or you give him his time to do what he needs to do, which he looks like he has achieved and look for another coach to take you to the next step.

I don't think any of our assistants are tactical geniuses, Rahilly seems adapt at developing, which we certainly need with younger players, VB hasn't proven a ton as an assistant and Burns is experienced, but seems sorta vanilla too. So if we hadn't of extended Nicks early and were open with the fact we have needs in coaching still that'd be fine, but publically we're still saying he's our guy even though the results are slowly getting worse now that what seems like his one trick has been played.

When Nicks says he thinks our midfield is functioning well, that's me done. It so obviously isn't and the midfield selection policy is having knock on effects all over the ground.

I hope his recent media appearances indicate the club knows the natives are getting restless. We can all hack a rebuild, but this isn't it.

When Nicks says he thinks our midfield is functioning well, that's me done. It so obviously isn't and the midfield selection policy is having knock on effects all over the ground.

I hope his recent media appearances indicate the club knows the natives are getting restless. We can all hack a rebuild, but this isn't it.
I wonder if there is any way we could talk Buckley into coming here to coach us? - out of the lot of them, he seems the best placed if Clarko is wedded to Tasmania

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The penny needs to drop for Nicks...

Our midfield are not just plodders but there is a sameness to the current group and although possession count is high, impact is low

We simply don't hurt the opposition.

Nicks needs to take control of this zone

Crouch needs to go, possibly Hately as well because Laird and Keays are similar types.

Dawson needs to play midfield, bring Jones back as a mid, and although Harry has had his challenges bring him in for his run because his form will eventually turn.

Cook and Pedlar need to find there way back, these two with Rachele can have burst through the middle of the ground

Nothing to lose, everything to gain

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The penny needs to drop for Nicks...

Our midfield are not just plodders but there is a sameness to the current group and although possession count is high, impact is low

We simply don't hurt the opposition.

Nicks needs to take control of this zone

Crouch needs to go, possibly Hately as well because Laird and Keays are similar types.

Dawson needs to play midfield, bring Jones back as a mid, and although Harry has had his challenges bring him in for his run because his form will eventually turn.

Cook and Pedlar need to find there way back, these two with Rachele can have burst through the middle of the ground

Nothing to lose, everything to gain

I would swap Laird and Dawson - move Laird back to his old spot in the backline, get Dawson into the middle to give it a different look and have somebody in there with an A-grade kick. Drop Crouch for Pedlar or Cook.

It's also treating supporters like idiots.

We're not all sitting here thinking a Laird 30 handball game is elite, or that Crouch getting 30 touches is helping us. We know what is going on

If we think the rebuild is complete we should definitely sack Nicks. It's complete when you're a top 4 side. We aren't so by that metric he has to go

Would disagree a rebuild is complete when you reach top 4. The rebuild is over when you have a youthful squad with reasonable depth capable of challenging for the 8. Then you have a baseline to build a premiership contender by recruit for specific needs to take the next step to top 4 legitimate challenger

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just to put Nix's tenure into context

His current win percentage is 26.9%

Primus sacked after 2 seasons with a record of 27.1%
Teague sacked after 2 seasons with a record of 42%
Justin Leppitch sacked after 3 seasons with a record of 21.2%
Brendan McCartney sacked after 3 seasons with a record of 30.3%

Can anyone explain why he gets a 4th season when coaches who had a better record couldn't even get a 3rd season?

No problems with the win percentage IF he was developing a midfield.

But when he plays the 3 stooges in there for every bloody game and expects a different result, it is mind numbing.

Now this isn’t a fact, it’s not even really an opinion, but merely a thought, a speculation

Melbourne is imploding, the back room board shenanigans that went on to cover up Goodwin’s less than squeaky clean antics (he was the same with us as a player) look like they could end with an almighty blow up.

We know Roo has always been a fan, and we also know our board isn’t 200% pleased with our progress

Burgo is here.

Based on nothing more than 2 and 2 is 22, could Goodwin be our new coach in 2023?

He’s a leader, he’s a players man, he’s a winner and he knows football - and unlike most other clubs we know his faults and foibles.

Could he be our new saviour? Should he be?

I say it’s not inconceivable, and I’d say it’s worth the risk. We’ve literally nothing to lose.

Nicks has us on a road to nowhere
Interesting. I had this conversation about consequent culture the other day with a fellow board member and we discussed Melbourne as an analogy. Admittedly this was prior to the Goodwin rumours but after the punch on. Melbourne have a great list of players, and with someone like Goodwin (and May) do you contemplate a trade off of a single premiership or continued success with a better culture. Melbourne FC maybe an insightful case study.

He’s shady as f***, always was, but he does know how to win.

And I prefer winning over this primordial sludge of pointless, sub-existing mediocrity
This probably answers the above but assumes you have access, or can get access, to the same players

The thing I am concerned about will be sticking with experience thinking we need that to chase results. They are too thick to realise experience doesn't equate to performance and we just want to see a decent game plan and team selection and development.

F#@k me, just listened to VB's presser

No wonder our midfield I'd f@#ked, VB is straight out if the Craigy and Campo school of coaching.

How bad is the SA footy media

How about asking

If your training execution so hard and it still not improving, is it a personnel problem?

If AFL players can't kick at this stage in their career, they are not going to improve significantly by training it for 2-3 weeks

It's also treating supporters like idiots.

We're not all sitting here thinking a Laird 30 handball game is elite, or that Crouch getting 30 touches is helping us. We know what is going on
Enthusiasts with a decent understanding of the game are probably a minority group.

I think it's telling that prior to Dunstall's review, it took Roo telling supporters they can go elsewhere if they don't like it, for a wide segment of our supporter base to finally crack the shits at the club. It wasn't the myriad of football related issues in the 2 years that followed the GF that broke people. It was Roo being a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back