Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked him last year as a relatively mature age recruit to help out at the Lions while our younger KPFs developed, although he is not much older than them IMO he would be an upgrade on Josh Walker who has probably had his chance to grab an AFL career.
East Perth made Kietel look better than he is. EP lost their main backmen and then young Eagles Josh Rotham was moved on to him and Rotham ain't really a KPD (more of a tall flanker) and then they moved Oscar Allen to him(under sized first year defender).

Quick shout out to Marcus Lentini who played more an inside/linking role on the weekend to again be in the bests for Coburg in their narrow loss on Saturday. Amassed 37 disposals (13 k, 24 hb) whilst still having 3 marks, 4 tackles and 5 inside 50's. Fast pushing his name up for a draft nomination after consistent performances at VFL level for the Burgers.

Two Frankston guys still putting in good numbers.

Alex Harnett, a former Vic Country representative was again very good against a powerful Box Hill yesterday whilst Corey Rich once again showed why he is firmly on the radar of AFL scouts with another powerful display, this time more around the ground.

Willy Hayes once again showed why he is in the running as a Fothergill - Round medalist fancy with another 23 disposals against Coburg on the weekend. An all round performance that included 23 disposals (13 k, 10 hb), 7 marks, 5 tackles, 3 I50, 4 rebound 50s has shone his name right to the forefront of the Footscray line up. At 181cm, he is a similar type to Kane Lambert albeit with a bit more prowess around the ground. The 23 year old is set to push for an AFL chance, now!

Before I say the name of the players stats below, any club would be crazy not to pick that up as rookie/draft prospect.

Sometimes football can be made easy by looking at a players strengths rather than their weaknesses.
I would love him at the Tigers especially considering we are 17th in clearances for the league.
It does make you wonder why clubs like Freo, Carlton, Gold Coast and even St.Kilda aren't looking at mature players from these leagues to make
some immediate impact.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 12.31.08 pm.png

Before I say the name of the players stats below, any club would be crazy not to pick that up as rookie/draft prospect.

Sometimes football can be made easy by looking at a players strengths rather than their weaknesses.
I would love him at the Tigers especially considering we are 17th in clearances for the league.
It does make you wonder why clubs like Freo, Carlton, Gold Coast and even St.Kilda aren't looking at mature players from these leagues to make
some immediate impact.

View attachment 513990
178 cm, don't have elite speed 26 years old next year . I prefer cody Leggett than him .

Last edited:

some immediate impact.

View attachment 513990
Am I missing something?:huh::shoutyoldman: Who is it?

some immediate impact.

View attachment 513990

Nelson or Schloithe?

some immediate impact.

View attachment 513990

Nelson or Schloithe?

WAFL Update after round 11

1-Jye Bolton (CL)
2-Marlion Pickett (SF)
3-Cody Leggett (P)
4-Jono Marsh (EF)
5-Luke Meadows (WP)
6-Haiden Schloithe (SF)
7-Shane Nelson (WP)
8-Josh DeLuca (S)
9-Oliver Eastland (CL)
10-Warrick Wilson (SD)
11-Tyler Keitel (WP)
12-Michael Bennell (P)
13-William Reidy (SD)
14-Corey Byrne (P)
15-Dylan Main (SF)
16-Jordan Boullineau (PT)
17-Corey Gault (SD)
18-Blair Bell (PT)
19-Jarrad Jansen (EF)
20-Cody Ninyette (P)
21-Jared Hardisty (CL)
22-Jacob Miller (S)
23-Bailey Rogers (CL)
24-Jesse Turner (SD)
25-Brant Colledge (P)
26-Michael Sinclair (P)
27-Tobe Watson (SD)
28-Dylan Smallwood (CL)
29-Taryce Stewart (SD)
30-Matthew Parker (SF)

Watching - Kaiden Gilbert (CL), Matthew Palfrey (CL), Nathan Blakely (SD), Mitchell Peirce (WP), Connor West (WP), Liam Tedesco (WP), Ben Sokol (S), Julian Ameduri (EP), Stan Wright (EP), Jaxon Cahill (EP), Dylan Winton (EF), Sean Fletcher (EF), Cam Loersch (EF), Jacob Dragovich (SF), Brandon Donaldson (SF)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the knock on Keital? I was really keen on him in his draft year and it seems he hasn't put a foot wrong in the WAFL playing as either a key forward or key back.
FIGJAM

Turbocat and Pure_Ownage can you guys shed some light on Tom Atkins, James Tsitas & Jordan Keras. All three have shown an ability that is on par, if not above VFL level. Have really enjoyed Tsitas' form this season whilst Atkins has been brilliant for a number of years now.

I cant really help you much... dazbroncos was at the game of Sat .... catswhiskers also see quite a bit of vfl perhaps they can help if they have time..

I think a lot mature guys will be looked at this year after Kelly but this draft may mean ..not many taken as early as what kelly was. From what I have seen they all could probably be a role player , and be serviceable but how long you persist with that type before moving to someone with more upside...

For SANFL I like:

Brad Close (Glenelg):
19 year old who played country footy last year. Good mover, wins clearances, kicks goals. High efficiency player who gets the most out of his touches.

Cole Gerloff (Norwood):
18 year old forward/Inside mid who was playing school footy last year. Consistent goalkicker with a high tackle count.

Liam Fitt (South Adelaide):
Already mentioned

Callum Wilkie (North Adelaide):
22 year old who is probably the best option for the vogue role of an intercepting 3rd tall that can rebound. Named in the bests in every game until he injured his shoulder in the 7th. Returned to form this weekend after a form slump with a 9 mark and 22 touch game.

Last edited:
I haven't seen much of Keras so I can't comment.

I generally watch the listed players closely and its only when a VFL listed player shows something well above average that he catches my eye.
Stewart for example looked a good solid defensive type for a many of his early VFL games but it wasn't until he was released and made a few great runs to the 50 and fired them straight through that he looked to have the necessary upside.

So I comment next with caveat that I haven't followed Atkins or Tsitas in any game in great detail. Just what they did when they popped up and got involved.

Both have a couple of stand out attributes: tenacity and ability to find the pill. That makes them both key players at VFL level. Both lead by example.

What they don't have is any stand out skill or physical attribute I have noticed. They both have good average speed, good average kick, good awareness, average overhead, below average size.

They represent exactly what GCSuns don't have and the Suns would do well to rookie one. Other clubs like St. Kilda and Carlton who need mature heads might consider them but they would probably back in their rebuild and go with younger state leaguers with a couple of stand out skills/attributes and hope they develop the attitudes and ball finding prowess these blokes do have.

178 cm, don't have elite speed 26 years old next year . I prefer cody Leggett than him .
Would make Gold Coasts best 22.

Like I said sometimes we look at players weaknesses rather than focusing on their strengths. Those stats have been happening for years.

Would make Gold Coasts best 22.

Like I said sometimes we look at players weaknesses rather than focusing on their strengths. Those stats have been happening for years.
His weakness will be playing HF instead of Mid in AFL , and all these stats will take a dive ,like Barlow . If you got Crotchin and Martin killing in Mid then players need to play other position in AFL . Ainsworth and Martin will spend more time in Midfield and those in midfield need to be flexibie to play forward role .

Last edited:
His weakness will be playing HF instead of Mid in AFL , and all these stats will take a dive ,like Barlow . If you got Crotchin and Martin killing in Mid then players need to play other position in AFL . Ainsworth and Martin will spend more time in Midfield and those in midfield need to be flexibie to play forward role .
Agree there. Doesnt kick many goals.
But * he keeps finding it in the middle surely hes worth a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back