Oppo Camp Max Lynch (Traded to Hawks 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume he is allowed another year on the rookie list before being promoted.

If so it’s an easy decision to retain him.

If not it’s a more difficult choice but as they say in the classics, big blokes take time.

Used to be 3 years on a rookie list but I'm not sure anymore. I think Frost may have had longer.

Actually, they went for Roughy instead of him, unless you're proposing that Lynch plays back. Roughy is a premiership ruckman so it's a logical pecking order.
No, what I'm proposing is that although we needed a back up ruckman to play we sacrificed our best defender to play the role instead, meaning that they don't think Lynch is good enough yet, so they played Magden in Rougheads spot to compensate

A lot? How many of them have actually seen him play across his 3 seasons at the club?
How many times have you seen him play? All I'm saying is that at this stage from what people are seeing he doesn't appear to be up to AFL standard, I guess time will tell but personally I think he will be delisted.

No, what I'm proposing is that although we needed a back up ruckman to play we sacrificed our best defender to play the role instead, meaning that they don't think Lynch is good enough yet, so they played Magden in Rougheads spot to compensate

Roughy was the backup ruckman. Had nothing to do with Madgen. You don't like that they opted to go that way but it doesn't change the facts or have any implied meaning for Lynch.

All you can draw from that selection decision is that Madgen is a better defender than Lynch is a forward.

Which is a reasonable assumption given Lynch is not a forward.

How many times have you seen him play? All I'm saying is that at this stage from what people are seeing he doesn't appear to be up to AFL standard, I guess time will tell but personally I think he will be delisted.

A lot over the last few season although only 3-4 games this year. You? Has shown massive improvement year to year and I think the club will reward that.

I’ve watched Lynch play 20-30 odd games. His development this year has been promising and he’s impacted games especially earlier in the year. I wouldn’t be delisting him on that basis.

Grundy didn’t establish himself at AFL level until 2016 when he was 22 and even then Witts was initially preferred prior to injury.

Lynch is currently a couple of years younger and I’d have his marking ahead of Grundy at the same age, and ahead of Witts at Collingwood (haven’t seen enough at GC to comment). His ruck work at the same age is comparative especially earlier in the year. As the season has progressed Lynch has shared the ruck and at times played forward (post concussion and shoulder).

Roughy was the backup ruckman. Had nothing to do with Madgen. You don't like that they opted to go that way but it doesn't change the facts or have any implied meaning for Lynch.
I actually liked the inclusion of Magden but I thought they were going to go with him as an undersized ruck to help grundy.

Stefan Martin is one of the best ruckmen in the game yet didn’t really show anything of note until he was about 27.

Lynch should be persisted with but he does need to learn to kick goals
Martin was played as a key position player for his first 5 years as he was undersized to be a ruck, it was just luck that he was tried as a ruck one day and did very well, I don't think we would wait another 7 years for Lynch to come on

Martin was played as a key position player for his first 5 years as he was undersized to be a ruck, it was just luck that he was tried as a ruck one day and did very well, I don't think we would wait another 7 years for Lynch to come on

Or maybe it was poor management and development by Melbourne that hindered him rather than “ luck”. Big players take patience and support is all I’m saying. Pretty sure I didn’t say give Lynch another 7 years.

Promoted to the senior list. Glad that we’ve retained Lynch.

Another year on the rookie list may have been preferable, however the system doesn’t allow it without delisting and the risk of another club drafting him before us.

Another year on the rookie list may have been preferable, however the system doesn’t allow it without delisting and the risk of another club drafting him before us.

He had his Promising Moments at VFL Level so he has something to work with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he had a really good first half of the year. Looked super tired in the second half. But he didn’t have much help so probably understandable. If he keeps on improving he’ll be a handy player imo.

50/50 on his retention. Improved this year.... his marking has improved.... but hardly dominant at VFL level. But is an elite runner for his size and is only just turned 21.

Long term the club must see him developing into a solid (but cheap salary) understudy to Grundy

Good on him.

maybe he’s seen as a real option just in case Grundy misses a game or so.

maybe Cameron is seen as even more

What has he done to justify a spot on our list. If anything the kid went backwards this year???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

At a guess it's probably got more than a little to do with the dearth of backup ruck prospects of any real quality out there at the moment.

From a list management perspective it would be somewhat foolish to jettison a young ruck prospect with some potential after just making a move to shore up a weakness in that same area.

We also don't have much of a hand in the upcoming draft in terms of draft picks and that too probably has more than a little to do with it at a guess - no point delisting additional players when we're already 4 senior players short of the minimum before his elevation and only having two realistically live picks currently in the draft (35 and 62 - 74 is probably a bit far back), although that could obviously change between now and (or even during) the national draft itself.

At least we are consistant at CFC, replace one list clogger in Crocker and replace him with another in Lynch, I bet I know who our new whipping boy will be next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back