Maybe it's time to face facts; we may actually be a pretty mediocre side

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately when you don't have a dominant key forward, your not going to be a super team
Don't really agree. Sydney last won it with a throughly makeshift tall forward setup then fluffed it with a $2m superstar setup.

We won it last year with as makeshift a tall forward setup as you could imagine.

We lost this week because we got smashed out of the middle and couldn't move it fast enough. If we did that Boyd and Redpath would do enough damage to keep us going.

We are still missing Stringer, Libba, Roughead, and others. We are playing our worst under Bevo and 2 quarters a game. You could argue these are good or bad signs, but I know we are so, so much better than what we are showing. We have so many players in their worst form for 2 years. IF• these players find form together we will still be a great force in 2017. The team we saw in last years finals was only a taste.

Remember how young and inexperienced we are. Our list doesn't peak for another 3 years.

Reading BF after consecutive close losses makes it even more demoralising.

Some ridiculous over the top posts like this. Yes... I'm disappointed that week in week out were playing inconsistent during games, but mediocre? Give me a break... mediocre sides don't win premierships.

We are still missing Stringer, Libba, Roughead, and others. We are playing our worst under Bevo and 2 quarters a game. You could argue these are good or bad signs, but I know we are so, so much better than what we are showing. We have so many players in their worst form for 2 years. IF• these players find form together we will still be a great force in 2017. The team we saw in last years finals was only a taste.

Remember how young and inexperienced we are. Our list doesn't peak for another 3 years.
Possible. Very possible. Im saying (in a sem-innebriated state) that we may well be the Hawks of '08 and disappear into the wilderness for a few years. Right now we're nowhere near where we need to be to win a flag. Unless we get another perfectly timed run which I feel was kind of a 1 in a thousand chance that we took with both hands.

It's just that I honestly felt we were a bit different in that we may be a dominant top 4 side this year. Obviously injuries play a part but as for "one out, one in", we are not there yet. If we're to win another flag this year, it'll be from bottom 8 again like last year.

Possible. Very possible. Im saying (in a sem-innebriated state) that we may well be the Hawks of '08 and disappear into the wilderness for a few years. Right now we're nowhere near where we need to be to win a flag. Unless we get another perfectly timed run which I feel was kind of a 1 in a thousand chance that we took with both hands.

It's just that I honestly felt we were a bit different in that we may be a dominant top 4 side this year. Obviously injuries play a part but as for "one out, one in", we are not there yet. If we're to win another flag this year, it'll be from bottom 8 again like last year.
A dominant top 4 side is a fairly high expectation that probably requires a lot to go right - particularly in terms of injuries but also form. As I posted earlier it's still conceivable to get to 14 wins without it seeming unrealistic which means 12 and a finals berth should still be well within reach and have a crack from there. In a funny way, I think a lot of sides feel confident in taking us on in the H&A (part of that not giving us credit for last year) but then would equally hate to play us when the heat is on in the finals.

Reading BF after consecutive close losses makes it even more demoralising.

Some ridiculous over the top posts like this. Yes... I'm disappointed that week in week out were playing inconsistent during games, but mediocre? Give me a break... mediocre sides don't win premierships.
Sitting 5-4 is pretty much the definition of mediocre. 4 of those wins currently sit 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th on the ladder. I'd actually say we are worse than mediocre so far this year

I come in peace.

I think what you probably mean is a mediocre champion. A mediocre team is say Richmond or Freo.

We've been used to seeing periods of pure dominance more often than not from our premiers.

You doggies are still a fantastic team, well-coached playing an irresistible brand of footy that everyone's struggling to counter, and an earlier post is correct: now all teams are playing out of their skin to knock you off.

Your coach is an original, unabashedly. He's not perfect either, like a lot of mavericks, so when his decisions don't come off he probably gets pretty frustrating, but any other side would snap him up if you got rid, Hawks included.

Your team is rammed full of talent and more importantly, they play as one, and have been to the summit together. The confidence your players have was obvious in the 4th against Cats, you never panicked or dropped your heads, trying to scam a lucky break, just kept working, right up til the final Cats reply when you just didn't have time.

Your forwards are probably your Achilles heel (i know you all know that, but that's how it seems from outside) and I'm not sure if Cloke was the guy you really needed, but i guess you blew your beans on the big Toyd so you have to do with him. You're hardly poor there though.

Anyway, not trying to piss in your pocket. You'll lose here and there, maybe even a final, and it might cost you this year or another, but globally you're fine, stay the course and your team will give themselves every chance of getting to another GF. I dunno if the results will go the same way but I'd be pretty surprised to see your pants get pulled down in the finals for the next few years, if you lose it'll be more through silly stuff like that 50 against Cloke at the start of the 4th tonight, or mercurial efforts from the oppo's star player/s.

Obviously, I'll be hoping you lose next week too, but not confident.

I should also add I'm not trying to patronise WB, I'm ropable you got your second cup before us, and I love our rivalry. I was going for the cats to beat you, sorry. But fair do's: gotta tip my hat to a good team. I also want to say that no matter who wins, I hope its a great game and hopefully the winner wins it, rather than the loser loses it, if you know what I mean.

I
Question - Do you think Wood is a better captain than Murphy? I know his the loved one (nothing wrong with that) but did Wood get the players playing better?
I would have stuck with Wood. I said so before the season. I love Bob but always thought he'd have enough on his plate this year. Wood is and will always be a premiership captain for this club! Only Charlie before him, that should never be underestimated. That takes a special type and Wood has it, I hope Bob does too??

Can't disagree with this thread more. Bring in Rough, Stringer and Libba and we can match it with anyone on our day.

I do concede our form is not great though and there are plenty of players who need to lift another 10-20%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread just proves everything that is wrong with Bigfooty after a loss. Invites f***wits from other boards to have a laugh at us as a collective. Feel ashamed as a dogs fan that this thread even exists.

We are in average form. Our guns aren't playing well. Geelong played the perfect game last night at their home ground on the biggest night of their season.

But to call us mediocre after we have brought 4 blokes back from injury. One of them being Morris who hasn't played since round 1. The other being Dickson and Wallis who haven't played any senior footy. Who are all still going to take time to get to their best. Also we still have Stringer, Roughead, Libba, McLean and Boyd (?) and Crameri (?) to come back.

This thread is nothing short of embarrassing.

Don't really agree. Sydney last won it with a throughly makeshift tall forward setup then fluffed it with a $2m superstar setup.

We won it last year with as makeshift a tall forward setup as you could imagine.

We lost this week because we got smashed out of the middle and couldn't move it fast enough. If we did that Boyd and Redpath would do enough damage to keep us going.

I know that and agree. But is it sustainable?? I don't think so

We have only beaten 2 teams over 40 points in the last year
A problem I have with the team is that last year we monstered teams through contested ball, this year teams have worked us out and we have no advantage anymore.
we dont have too many match winners apart from stringer, maybe bont
geelong beat us through their individual match winners and ferocity on the ball (dogs 2016 style)

if we dont make finals this year, time to hit the trade

This thread just proves everything that is wrong with Bigfooty after a loss. Invites f***wits from other boards to have a laugh at us as a collective. Feel ashamed as a dogs fan that this thread even exists.

We are in average form. Our guns aren't playing well. Geelong played the perfect game last night at their home ground on the biggest night of their season.

But to call us mediocre after we have brought 4 blokes back from injury. One of them being Morris who hasn't played since round 1. The other being Dickson and Wallis who haven't played any senior footy. Who are all still going to take time to get to their best. Also we still have Stringer, Roughead, Libba, McLean and Boyd (?) and Crameri (?) to come back.

This thread is nothing short of embarrassing.
Wallis was one of our best last night quite easily after missing the whole season of footy. Libba was dropped because he was playing awful football, McLean was also dropped, M boyd was also gentleman dropped, and stringer was doing his usual phantom act in and out of games before he got hurt. As for roughead, sure, he's an important player, but I'll give it 3 or 4 games max before he hurts something again. Acting like they're all blue chip assets to return is off the mark.

The excuses for the poor play are reaching the same level of tedium on here than people who are willing to admit we've been an average to poor football team all season, and it's round 9. It's not like we're a couple of games in anymore.

Which side is mediocre again ???

the one which kicked 11 goals to 4 in a half against a top 4 side at their home ground with the best player in the league playing a blinder...

Or the one that kicked about 3 goals to 12 in a half and looked like they had never seen each other before..

Neither is mediocre in my book..

We've lost 4 games. 3 against good to very good sides. Hell, even Freo might be a good side this year. Most we've lost by is 16 points. We'll get there.

I come in peace.

I think what you probably mean is a mediocre champion. A mediocre team is say Richmond or Freo.

We've been used to seeing periods of pure dominance more often than not from our premiers.

You doggies are still a fantastic team, well-coached playing an irresistible brand of footy that everyone's struggling to counter, and an earlier post is correct: now all teams are playing out of their skin to knock you off.

Your coach is an original, unabashedly. He's not perfect either, like a lot of mavericks, so when his decisions don't come off he probably gets pretty frustrating, but any other side would snap him up if you got rid, Hawks included.

Your team is rammed full of talent and more importantly, they play as one, and have been to the summit together. The confidence your players have was obvious in the 4th against Cats, you never panicked or dropped your heads, trying to scam a lucky break, just kept working, right up til the final Cats reply when you just didn't have time.

Your forwards are probably your Achilles heel (i know you all know that, but that's how it seems from outside) and I'm not sure if Cloke was the guy you really needed, but i guess you blew your beans on the big Toyd so you have to do with him. You're hardly poor there though.

Anyway, not trying to piss in your pocket. You'll lose here and there, maybe even a final, and it might cost you this year or another, but globally you're fine, stay the course and your team will give themselves every chance of getting to another GF. I dunno if the results will go the same way but I'd be pretty surprised to see your pants get pulled down in the finals for the next few years, if you lose it'll be more through silly stuff like that 50 against Cloke at the start of the 4th tonight, or mercurial efforts from the oppo's star player/s.

Obviously, I'll be hoping you lose next week too, but not confident.
Condescending comments like that should fire us up for mext week.

the writing was on the wall , we lost to freo and i was hoping for a strong response against norf , and we served up garbage, and prob should have lost that game at the end.

ruck is annoying me, enough of boyd as the sole ruck, enough of too many versatile players
stop trying to be cute
no more excuses now

Of course we're not a mediocre side. This side won a flag. But we're certainly playing mediocre football. People need to come to grips with the reality of this season. Thinking we're just going to hit our straps and all will be fine is a bit naive at this point if the season. We're NINE games into the season and we haven't seen a solid performance. We've been lucky to win 3 of our five wins. If 2 of them were losses we'd be in strife. The teams we have beaten sit in the bottom 4 plus Richmond. Next weeks game against the saints is huge. We need to claim some sort of scalp.

Now we can turn it around but I've been waiting for that to happen for 6 weeks and am at the point where I just don't think it'll happen. We just don't have the same hunger and desire. The players that do are the ones who missed the flag. And look I don't blame the players. It's only natural to feel satisfied. But they need to be honest with themselves if that's the case. This might be hawthorn if 09 again. Premiership won earlier than expected, got to their heads a little, poor premiership defence but will bounce back from the disappointement. It's just a really shame for Murph.

Of course we're not a mediocre side. This side won a flag. But we're certainly playing mediocre football. People need to come to grips with the reality of this season. Thinking we're just going to hit our straps and all will be fine is a bit naive at this point if the season. We're NINE games into the season and we haven't seen a solid performance. We've been lucky to win 3 of our five wins. If 2 of them were losses we'd be in strife. The teams we have beaten sit in the bottom 4 plus Richmond. Next weeks game against the saints is huge. We need to claim some sort of scalp.

Now we can turn it around but I've been waiting for that to happen for 6 weeks and am at the point where I just don't think it'll happen. We just don't have the same hunger and desire. The players that do are the ones who missed the flag. And look I don't blame the players. It's only natural to feel satisfied. But they need to be honest with themselves if that's the case. This might be hawthorn if 09 again. Premiership won earlier than expected, got to their heads a little, poor premiership defence but will bounce back from the disappointement. It's just a really shame for Murph.

Yep, spot on. The players are too relaxed this season. Not necessary their fault but the hunger is definitely missing. Bont, Libba, Hunter, Picken, Cordy, Dunkley and McLean- I'm looking at you all.

If I were Bevo, I would start putting the heat on a few of these guys and start playing the younger guys. Time to stop accepting mediocrity.

Some main players need to wake up.

We lost our opposition analyst too didn't we? Surely a reason for multiple slow starts stems from not doing enough work on the opposition.

No.

That is 100% mentality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back