Maybe it's time to face facts; we may actually be a pretty mediocre side

Remove this Banner Ad

Or maybe multiple others share my opinion on that particular game and the Ching votes justify that

You know, it's all just opinion we are posting.......

But then again, you give Biggs Ching votes every game, even if he plays or not, so you obviously don't value it as high as others.

Playing 3 rucks, very very unconventional

What is their roles currently?
Campbell playing more as a forward
Rough & English taking the ruck contests
With English floating around the ground taking marks, Libba looks gassed

Campbell just had a terrible effort then, gets kicked to him & he didn't even try to put his hands up to mark it
Was far too worried about the defender

I'm a bit astounded, really. Did anyone think that we had truly arrived as a dominant force in the competition? Before our Herculean effort in the finals last year, most of us would have concurred that we were a pretty young team who were building and moulding. I think our expectations are a bit overblown. We nicked a premiership from seventh, and that team is now immortalised. But we are still in transition - we are still building towards something that could be really big. Let's project to 3-4 years from now, with a developed Tim English, a mature Tom Boyd, more super draft picks from Dal, a wisened Stringer and (heaven help the competition) a Bont in his prime. The future is rosy, comrades. We are far more than mediocre, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that we ought to have "arrived." It may be two steps forwards, one step back for the time being. We have three 34 year old greats on their way out, and we are still very much injecting rawness and potential into our best 22. Keep the faith.

We had 10 players playing last night that did not play in our premiership side. We have not had a settled side in either VFL or AFL all year. Our VFL side has had 3 coaches in 4 years and our assistant coaches have been shuffled around for the last few years as well.
Our lack of stability was going to affect us eventually.

Garbage OP. We are still finding out our B22, due to having a huge amount of depth. Think of who is either injured or playing 2's this week. Stringer, Roughie, Libba, McLean, Dunkley, Cordy, Boyd, Roberts, Crameri, Biggs ... I think part of the problem is that some of our fringe players are not quite there yet and some veterans (love them) have almost spent their petrol tickets. Finding Chemistry with new players take time.

In all but one game we have been up (by more than a kick) in the last quarter, so we are not that far off. Bye can't come soon enough. If we get there at 6-4, with no more casualties, I'll back us in to get on a run in the 2nd half and at least finish T6. In Beverage we trust.

Sitting 5-4 is pretty much the definition of mediocre. 4 of those wins currently sit 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th on the ladder. I'd actually say we are worse than mediocre so far this year
You don't base whether you're mediocre or not by the sides you've beaten. Sydney beat St. Kilda today, North beat Adelaide, and Collingwood beat Geelong... As you see... deceiving.

As you've seen with Adelaide, St.Kilda, Richmond and now Sydney form comes and goes. We've been crippled with injuries this season like Sydney and GWS. If we go into the bye 6-4 and re-set with a fit list post bye that's not a disaster considering how difficult our draw has been at seasons start - 4 games out of Melbourne and twice to Perth.

For a bit of perspective let's all remember where we were this time last year as supporters. Without a flag. Still suffering. Still being tortured by the memories of lost opportunities over the years (and decades). Yet four and a bit months later we were all lucky enough to witness 4 of the greatest weeks this club has ever had. We've seen a flag. What we've dreamt of for so long. I know it doesn't mean it ends there but let's remember the awesome experience these guys gave us

Last edited:
You don't base whether you're mediocre or not by the sides you've beaten. Sydney beat St. Kilda today, North beat Adelaide, and Collingwood beat Geelong... As you see... deceiving.

As you've seen with Adelaide, St.Kilda, Richmond and now Sydney form comes and goes. We've been crippled with injuries this season like Sydney and GWS. If we go into the bye 6-4 and re-set with a fit list post bye that's not a disaster considering how difficult our draw has been at seasons start - 4 games out of Melbourne and twice to Perth.
Agree with what you've said. It's just disappointing we haven't taken a scalp and the poor performances have largely been due to effort. Injuries or not, you want to see effort week to week, not for 10 minutes every now and then. I think that's what a lot of us have been disappointed with.

I don't think the thread is an embarrassment, I'm as frustrated as the next supporter by what we're seeing pretty much every week and get really riled up during the games. Then I get some perspective as the hours and days pass and it's fine.

My issue is that I think the MC, coach and players are consistently trying to be "innovative" and maybe taking some basics for granted. I get that we've got important players to come in but for Wallis to play his first AFL game in almost a year and be BOG for the dogs should be embarrassing for the others. I love Wallis but his decision making, urgency and execution were streets ahead of most of his teammates despite theoretically not being match fit/hardened.

I think the dogs' best is right up there, we just haven't seen it for more than a quarter here or there. That's increasingly frustrating, and needs to be sorted out.

Last year has changed the landscape though. We all obviously want top 4 but if that's out of reach qualifying for finals might be enough. Then Bevo and the boys pull another amazing month out of their collective arses.

WB will be there when it counts. Still the best team.

I don't think the thread is an embarrassment, I'm as frustrated as the next supporter by what we're seeing pretty much every week and get really riled up during the games. Then I get some perspective as the hours and days pass and it's fine.

My issue is that I think the MC, coach and players are consistently trying to be "innovative" and maybe taking some basics for granted. I get that we've got important players to come in but for Wallis to play his first AFL game in almost a year and be BOG for the dogs should be embarrassing for the others. I love Wallis but his decision making, urgency and execution were streets ahead of most of his teammates despite theoretically not being match fit/hardened.

I think the dogs' best is right up there, we just haven't seen it for more than a quarter here or there. That's increasingly frustrating, and needs to be sorted out.

Last year has changed the landscape though. We all obviously want top 4 but if that's out of reach qualifying for finals might be enough. Then Bevo and the boys pull another amazing month out of their collective arses.

Don't mind the MC trying stuff, but some of it has a 90% risk of disaster. some of the high risk switches, the handballs backwards across the half back line, the ruck set up, trying to always make the impossible pass - it's becoming almost predictable. Sometimes the best thing is to get it up the ground to a contest- which is what we much did for most of the GF. That didn't turn out too bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, spot on. The players are too relaxed this season. Not necessary their fault but the hunger is definitely missing. Bont, Libba, Hunter, Picken, Cordy, Dunkley and McLean- I'm looking at you all.

If I were Bevo, I would start putting the heat on a few of these guys and start playing the younger guys. Time to stop accepting mediocrity.
I think the team is not playing to its true potential and has not been consistent at all. Are we a mediocre side? I don't think we are but our footy leaves a lot to be desired. The intensity and hunger is not there, the consistency is missing and the skills are wanting. Our forward line is not working, and our midfield is unpredictable, dissonant, uncommitted at times. Hence, the side playing two really good quarters and then everyone goes missing. To me all this points to a premiership hangover, a mindset. I included am suffering from that hangover. I don't feel as stressed as before when watching games. I hope I get out of this state of mind because it feels as if I were too comfortable and relaxed. Almost like Howard's Australia. We need to get out of that mindset fast, because we run the danger of becoming mediocre, when we shouldn't because we will rue missing the opportunity of another flag. I hope the loss against the cats is a wake up call and we get out of the comfort zone, because I hate the feeling of being comfortable and relaxed. WAKE UP DOGS!!! GO DOGS!!!

After mulling it over and letting my emotions settle, I feel a little more at ease. We've been compared a lot to hawthorn, and with that in mind I can see the resemblance. They managed to pinch a flag against odds and dropped off the year after and the rest is history. Hawthorn had always started each season really crappy too, which we are experiencing right now.
Im not suggesting we will follow that same path, all I hope for is that we learn from these patches.

question is guys - are we as good as we think we are ?
has the rest of the comp caught up with us?
its really hard to say, until we get a full team out on the park we will never know

however i mentioned this before
-we dont score much
-avg marking team
-avg kicking team
- we dont have that dominant forward
- our spine is no where near elite

we dont have many elite players who can win the game like some others in the league, however we are a well rounded even team

i dont think we are a powerhouse team tbh ie hawks ,cats, swans

Speaking of teams losing the week after they play us.....how bout the eagles? Let's see how the cats go against port next week

This thread is silly.

We are not mediocre. No premiership side is mediocre.

We haven't hit our straps yet, we have a few players out of form and injured, and we have lost a couple of close ones.

People on this board seriously need to relax. There's 13 rounds to go.

Just look to our last home and away game against Freo last year and what happened after that if you want a reminder of how quickly things can change.

And another thing.

Even if we don't win the premiership this year, we're still very much a side right in contention.

Our flag last year, although awesome, wonderful etc, was wayyyyyy ahead of schedule when you look at our list.

This is an incredibly exciting time to support this club, we've finally got our second flag and whether it's this year or in the coming years we have a chance to add one or two more.

Everyone relax, we're alright.

Garbage OP. We are still finding out our B22, due to having a huge amount of depth. Think of who is either injured or playing 2's this week. Stringer, Roughie, Libba, McLean, Dunkley, Cordy, Boyd, Roberts, Crameri, Biggs ... I think part of the problem is that some of our fringe players are not quite there yet and some veterans (love them) have almost spent their petrol tickets. Finding Chemistry with new players take time.

In all but one game we have been up (by more than a kick) in the last quarter, so we are not that far off. Bye can't come soon enough. If we get there at 6-4, with no more casualties, I'll back us in to get on a run in the 2nd half and at least finish T6. In Beverage we trust.

Completely wrong it has nothing to do with our completely over rated depth which is now proving it isn't that great.

95% of our list isn't playing well and our coaching and selection has been questionable.

If Bev would stop p!ssing around and trying to change things that worked so well last year players may come back into form.

I think we have tried to be smarter than we needed to be AND players have rested on their laurels from the grand final. We will not compete with the top teams until we actually have the blokes who are genuinely in our best 22 playing well and I'm not sure that will happen this year.

Completely wrong it has nothing to do with our completely over rated depth which is now proving it isn't that great.

95% of our list isn't playing well and our coaching and selection has been questionable.

If Bev would stop p!ssing around and trying to change things that worked so well last year players may come back into form.

I think we have tried to be smarter than we needed to be AND players have rested on their laurels from the grand final. We will not compete with the top teams until we actually have the blokes who are genuinely in our best 22 playing well and I'm not sure that will happen this year.

What makes you say that our best 22 playing well will not happen this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back