Maybe it's time to face facts; we may actually be a pretty mediocre side

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year has nothing to do with this year everything gets reset. Yes the team could click and start to play well but also it might not and the evidence so far this year isn't promising. Nine rounds in and the team hasn't played well in any game, has won all games in a very unconvincing manner and allowed the opposition to dictate for the majority of every game.

Five and four and one win from the past four games are facts and the performance of a mediocre team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This thread just proves everything that is wrong with Bigfooty after a loss. Invites f***wits from other boards to have a laugh at us as a collective. Feel ashamed as a dogs fan that this thread even exists.

We are in average form. Our guns aren't playing well. Geelong played the perfect game last night at their home ground on the biggest night of their season.

But to call us mediocre after we have brought 4 blokes back from injury. One of them being Morris who hasn't played since round 1. The other being Dickson and Wallis who haven't played any senior footy. Who are all still going to take time to get to their best. Also we still have Stringer, Roughead, Libba, McLean and Boyd (?) and Crameri (?) to come back.

This thread is nothing short of embarrassing.

I read every word in this post but all I see is excuses.

Its not a sprint its a marathon we've proved that our style of footy stacks up in finals.

I'm guessing those feral cats are at full strength and settled at the moment but come finals if either Danger Selduck or Tomadud is out I'm tipping they'll stuggle and won't it be sweet watching snotty Scotty having a sook...... winning finals games is what really counts to me.

Injuries play a part yes. But why are people including Libba in those discussions? The fact is the players who are on the ground are not all performing. Libba was one of them and got dropped. Hunter and Picken will be next. We had injuries last year too and we played a lot better. It's not an excuse. I'd take losses if the effort was there but what I've watched so far has been bloody disappointing. We are playing well in 5 minute patches every two quarters. It's all mental. We've spotted almost every team at least a 4 goal lead, lately it's been 5, then stormed our way back because our backs were against the wall. That is hunger and desire and the inability to concentrate for a whole game. It's all between the ears

Could you draw a long bow and say that presently the players who are innately hungrier because they missed out are playing better then the majority of the team. I refer to Murphy, Jong, and Wallis
If one flag satisfies the thirst for success for a lot of our players, some of those players are going to find themselves out of a job fairly quickly.

1 premiership doesn't relax or satisfy me in the slightest. This young core is good enough to win multiple flags if they really want it.

If one flag satisfies the thirst for success for a lot of our players, some of those players are going to find themselves out of a job fairly quickly.

1 premiership doesn't relax or satisfy me in the slightest. This young core is good enough to win multiple flags if they really want it.
Agree. This is where Bevo really earns his pay. Needs to get them out of their funk.

The gap between the bottom and top sides in this most even of competitions is wafer thin. North were supposed to flatline this year but are doing OK. Many experts predicted that Hawthorn and Sydney would be top 4. West Coast were supposed to be bottom half because they were missing one player.

You only need a 5% swing in fortunes either way to be a challenger or also-ran. By fortunes I don't mean just mean luck - there are so many intangibles in footy. A run of injuries; poor goal kicking; a couple of key players down in output or injured; a coach tweaking the gamestyle; opposition coaches copying your style or working out new ways to combat it.

We're all armchair experts but it's bloody tough at the top.

Let me say but this : I'm 100% behind Luke Beveridge. Feel free to differ but don't do it front of me.

i am also
but i just want him to stop being cute and do the basic things
ie. rucks
T Boyd aside, we dont have any that are fit, capable and ready at AFL Level. Now Roughies back it changes things...

i am also
but i just want him to stop being cute and do the basic things
ie. rucks

Where was he supposed to get these rucks from?

Campbell: not up to it. Has been a liability when played.

English: not ready.

Roughead: injured.

You can't blame Beveridge for not picking rucks when he has no viable options. Boyd is easily one of our two best rucks so I don't see how playing him as our main ruck while Roughy builds back his fitness is being "cute" at all. More like common sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where was he supposed to get these rucks from?

Campbell: not up to it. Has been a liability when played.

English: not ready.

Roughead: injured.

You can't blame Beveridge for not picking rucks when he has no viable options. Boyd is easily one of our two best rucks so I don't see how playing him as our main ruck while Roughy builds back his fitness is being "cute" at all. More like common sense.
Lol, Campbell being a liability is an absolute load of rubbish

We do not beat Norf without what he did that game, particularly his second half against a standout mobile ruck in Goldstein. He has not been used since the Brisbane game where he was up against another elite mobile ruck in Martin and I thought Martin wasn't that influential that game, though he had a tidy stats sheet.

Imo he has been Minsoned and extremely unfairly too. We were structureless without him for 3 weeks because Boyd had to ruck. Last night we needed a high marking option in our forward half, Boyd provided that only because Cloke went into the ruck, but we conceded the ruck in the process putting Cloke in there and that had a large hand in Geelong winning due to Smith being in Geelong's best 3 players with Danger and Taylor. Campbell imo takes better care of Smith.

Structure>>>>>>>>>everything always

Lol, Campbell being a liability is an absolute load of rubbish

We do not beat Norf without what he did that game, particularly his second half against a standout mobile ruck in Goldstein. He has not been used since the Brisbane game where he was up against another elite mobile ruck in Martin and I thought Martin wasn't that influential that game, though he had a tidy stats sheet.

Imo he has been Minsoned and extremely unfairly too. We were structureless without him for 3 weeks because Boyd had to ruck. Last night we needed a high marking option in our forward half, Boyd provided that only because Cloke went into the ruck, but we conceded the ruck in the process putting Cloke in there and that had a large hand in Geelong winning due to Smith being in Geelong's best 3 players with Danger and Taylor. Campbell imo takes better care of Smith.

Structure>>>>>>>>>everything always

Wrong.

He got 18 Ching votes from 11 different posters against Norf

I gave him 4 because I value talls more than most posters on this board and probably more than our coach, but he got 1s and 2s from the 10 others who voted for him...

So excluding me it was 14 votes from 10 posters, but 10 different posters have already agreed with my point based on that which you have said as "wrong" without backing anything up.

We won a premiership having forward structure from Roughy, Boyd and Cordy. Would rather play a slightly inferior tall than a slightly inferior midfielder.

He got 18 Ching votes from 11 different posters against Norf

I gave him 4 because I value talls more than most posters on this board and probably more than our coach, but he got 1s and 2s from the 10 others who voted for him...

So excluding me it was 14 votes from 10 posters, but 10 different posters have already agreed with my point based on that which you have said as "wrong" without backing anything up.

We won a premiership having forward structure from Roughy, Boyd and Cordy. Would rather play a slightly inferior tall than a slightly inferior midfielder.

Wrong again. He was putrid. You said it yourself, you over rate crap talls. If Campbell played last night we lose by 10 goals or more.

Too much too soon for some of them? Although Picken's a senior and my favorite player but I've said for the last 2 or 3 weeks he's not himself.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

A reasonable thread by the OP however recent posts appear to be sniping individual players. I would say we are mediocre because we
  • had a fairly late and poor off-season,
  • are missing some key players which would then in turn give The Drink, more options,
  • need our goal kicking compass re-calibrated
  • are more under the pump from opposition intel on us after last year

How many games have we won in Geelong (I remember one we won when we were 47pts down at half time) but apart from Freo, I'm fairly happy with the team and estatic that Bevo is running the marathon rather than look at quick wins.

Let's enjoy the footy and not get bogged down in harassing players who may not be the best in the league. A champion team will beat a team of champions

When you're using ching votes to justify a players performance you are desperately clutching at straws
Or maybe multiple others share my opinion on that particular game and the Ching votes justify that

You know, it's all just opinion we are posting.......

But then again, you give Biggs Ching votes every game, even if he plays or not, so you obviously don't value it as high as others.
Not a whole lot, he follows up well
English has been terrific though
Playing 3 rucks, very very unconventional

What is their roles currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back