Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

He did nothing that isn't done 100 times per game. Player running towards him about to kick, you running at him jump attempting to smother or touch ball. Nothing reckless or strange about his decision.
We have a bad end result for Brayshaw here. Sad for him of course. But why can't it just be unlucky which in my view it is?

It's also pressure act.
Trying to effect the kick, I can't believe people think that he's only looking to directly smother it.
He's hoping to also effect accuracy and angle of kick if the low % smother attempt fails to touch it.

No different then standing the mark on goals and trying to jump as high as you can unless they stuff up the run up you are no chance, players still do it on off chance they do stuff it and it puts helps them off.

Does that include that west coast player who was knocked out by the footy when he smothered?

You are talking about an incident that is not a typical scenario to have a long list to go through, individual acts need to be assessed on their own merits not put in a box of rigid gradings that will see suspension happen where it should not.

The incident was an accident off self protection and no intent to "bump" was made.
Your opinions are much better when you leave out the rhetoric about Brayshaw trying to draw contact.

But why can't it just be unlucky which in my view it is?
James Sicily must be the most unlucky campaigner in the AFL then. Given that he tackles at the hips and his "victims" end up concussed as a result. Earning him a 4 week holiday courtesy of the Tribunal too.

If Maynard gets off, he must surely win the luckiest campaigner of 2023 awards.

It's also pressure act.
Trying to effect the kick, I can't believe people think that he's only looking to directly smother it.
He's hoping to also effect accuracy and angle of kick if the low % smother attempt fails to touch it.

No different then standing the mark on goals and trying to jump as high as you can unless they stuff up the run up you are no chance, players still do it on off chance they do stuff it and it puts helps them off.

Agree, most on here have no idea about the game.

Only if it gets put up in the first place.

The system and grading is too rigid. It's 3 weeks if he gets put up, pies will have to do a Carlton and Swans and take it to court.
That may end up being the case.

It's also pressure act.

Whats your thoughts on suspensions for high shepards or tackles that knock people out?.

All pressure acts.

I get it now. The Collingwood position is that it was all Brayshaw's fault, he shouldn't have been there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did nothing that isn't done 100 times per game. Player running towards him about to kick, you running at him jump attempting to smother or touch ball. Nothing reckless or strange about his decision.
We have a bad end result for Brayshaw here. Sad for him of course. But why can't it just be unlucky which in my view it is?

its done 100 times a game yet somehow the way Maynard did it ended up with a guy getting knocked out cold.

Because what he did was fundamentally different to how most people try to smother and how they move after they fail to smother.

Whats your thoughts on suspensions for high shepards or tackles that knock people out?.

All pressure acts.

Depends on the situation I don't lump them all in the same basket.
I also don't believe you should pay for incidental head contact if you chose to bump or tackle.
I know the current rules are you will but it is a rubbish rule that lawyers have brought into the game unessecarily due to worry over cte suings.
NFL are being sued do to hiding the findings taking away player choice to play or not, not for having high head contactbin a sport.

I think the current rules around it are shit and helping create more head contact due to it as more players look to take benefit of the free kicks.

You see players even in tackles pretend they have head contact with the ground even when on replay they don't, the old technique of gathering a contested ball meant turning your body to absorb the hit whilst collecting.

Now players just run head first at the opposing player knowing a high chance of head contact and a free ick.

pies will have to do a Carlton and Swans and take it to court.
Look on the brightside. At least the Pies stopped Cripps from playing finals football last year, even though the MRP said he had no case to answer after jumping into Ah Chee's head at the Gabba and putting him in hospital.

One thing you can be sure of is irrespective of whether Maynard is found guilty or innocent, he won't be winning the Brownlow ever. :p Best & Fairest Jump&BumpIntoTheHeadiest :drunk: Like Cripps, dual winner of the Brownlow and Luckiest Campaigner of 2022 awards.

Last edited:
He could of landed into Brayshaw in a wrap arms around soft tackle motion but he decided to tuck the arm in and lead with the shoulder.

Suspension warranted.
If he did that and there was an accidental head knock, he would be free to play for sure.

Just on the brace v bump debate.
It was changed in 2018 after everyone cried because Burton got off his hit on Higgins
Brace is no longer a defence (although it seems to have crept back in)
This case will ensure it is back to not being a defence

I get it now. The Collingwood position is that it was all Brayshaw's fault, he shouldn't have been there.

Have a sook.

That's not what's being said or the intent.

Its that Brayshaw also played a part in it by not protecting himself, not that it's his fault alone. It is an accidental incident not deliberate.

Back