Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

Numerous times you’ve stated that Brayshaw takes a step towards Maynard after kicking the ball. This is a lie.

Brayshaw kicks with his right foot, lands on his right foot and is then cleaned up as his left foot (now trailing) passes his right leg.

As Brayshaw prepares to and then kicks the ball he is looking down guiding the ball onto his foot. He may have been aware of Maynard coming towards him but not of Maynard leaping. The ball is kicked, Brayshaw looks up and the collision with Maynard is inevitable.

View attachment 1797148
View attachment 1797150
View attachment 1797151
View attachment 1797152
View attachment 1797154

The next frame he steps towards him and turns into him. You showed the stills right up to it but left it out. Right there he could choose to brace or move away slightly lessing the impact.

I had to google 'copium'. Came up with this.
Copium is a meme term created by combining 2 words together - cope and opium. It is used satirically and is a joke term used to describe a fictional drug that one consumes after suffering a loss, defeat, or disappointment. It is used when the facts do not match reality.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we win last night sending us straight to the prelim with the best player in the league; aka Nick Daicos coming back in.

It seems to me that the copium maybe some nervous opposition supporters who don't like Collingwood very much posting in this thread with their faux sanctimony over an accident that occurred during a contact sport.
Even if this is what is happening(highly debatable) I'd rather be sanctimonious than a victim blaming Muppet

He absolutely could have shown more care to Brayshaw by putting out his hands. On that it should be 2+ weeks.

But it's finals. He'll get off. And we get to see that the head is only sacrosanct in the H&A season.

The treatment of Ginnivan shows the head isn’t sacrosanct anymore.

The next frame he steps towards him and turns into him. You showed the stills right up to it but left it out. Right there he could choose to brace or move away slightly lessing the impact.
100 per cent I was going to post exactly this. Poster is in a state of 'copium'.

This.. he knew what the outcome could be approaching this like he did and went with it anyway.

The reason you don’t see smothering attempts like this weekly as they are clumsy and to an extent reckless.

Players know what can happen if it goes wrong. If they let Maynard off it’s a free passage for all to run at an oncoming player and jump forward to smother their kick attempt, knowing you are likely to lay them out as the kicker is wide open and can’t protect themselves.

As the rules are written atm he should go.

The media opinions on this have been quite interesting.
Will be an interesting call either way. Either they’re fully committing to suspending based on outcome or they’re saying that this is a legal act regardless of outcome. Both of which have a very interesting path forward.

Things like marking contests now outlawed if you enter it recklessly and knock someone out?

Or cannoning into someone with no regard for their safety because it was an attempted smother is now legal and will no doubt be exploited by other players.

Big call either way

I'm honestly unsure how I feel about this.

On one hand, I feel like Maynard could have definitely done more to minimise the impact to Brayshaw (i.e putting his hands out and/or not tucking the shoulder in/turning into him). On the other, it definitely wasn't a pre-meditated decision to clean him up, and he could probably consider himself unlucky if he misses any time.

Overall, to me, it seems like it was a careless/clumsy act that didn't have much in the way of malice behind it. Careless, High Impact and High Contact would probably be the grading. Would feel bad for Maynard missing two weeks and a likely GF, but I feel just as bad for Brayshaw missing all of last night, next week and possibly beyond as a result of the action, too.

If they could find a way to manufacture a one-week ban where he still gets back for the GF, then that'd sit fairly comfortably with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's truth players need to start protecting themselves better instead of looking to take the hit. If he did we wouldn't be having this stupid thread or conversation.
Wait, how did Brayshaw 'look to take the hit'?

The treatment of Ginnivan shows the head isn’t sacrosanct anymore.
The treatment of Ginnivan is all his fault, he should be taking appropriate action on the field to protect himself. It's certainly not the fault of innocent opposition players.

New footage of Maynard bump, much clearer angle

why didn't Brayshaw protect himself

Weekend Flying GIF by United Wrestling Network

He doesn’t get another step in before contact is made. Have a look at the sequence.

Brayshaw twists his body somewhat trying to get side-on to take the impact, but there isn’t enough time. Brayshaw had to twist into Maynard because his right foot is planted and he is trying to bring the left side of his body around. i.e. he couldn’t move away slightly because biomechanics and physics.

IMG_8950.png
IMG_8951.png
IMG_8952.png

Maynard did jump at his head. Thats why he hit him in the head.

Maynard had eyes for the player and went down the line of the player. Brayshaw was running straight and didn't change direction at all.

Have a look at what the behind footage shows and it shows Maynard who doesn't deviate and Brayshaw who moves across as he is kicking.
Yea sure he jumped way after the ball was kicked, no hope of smothering it at all
View attachment 1796570

Looks like he's really malicious and lining him up there just horrific.

This is a s**t argument...

How often are basketballers running full pace at each other, having both had large run ups? Never. You can also only dispose of the ball one way in basketball. Are you allowed to tackle in basketball too?
The other side to that argument is that they only jump when they know they can make it without launching themselves at an opponent. If Maynard had to leave the ground at full pace to get close then was it really a realistic attempt on the ball?

He did not choose to bump, ffs what is wrong with some of you. He chose to try and smother the kick, that was his only choice. Once in mid flight he has no say in where he lands and he did the right thing to brace himself to stop himself getting hurt.
Can you see a cape n Maynard where he can just fly away in another direction?

Fantasy world your living in.

'Once in mid flight he has no say in where he lands '

What is a he rocket launched from Russia or something ?

He has a brain and he chose to land on brayshaw with his shoulder dropped. He could have easily kept his arms out. That was his decision. Seems like a classic make him earn it to me. There's Richmond players who I think would do the same. But the thing is, if you do that you're running massive risk these days, and I think Maynard is going to have to pay.

It's truth players need to start protecting themselves better instead of looking to take the hit. If he did we wouldn't be having this stupid thread or conversation.

Yeah don’t kick a football in a game where the predominant skill is kicking a football

Back