Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

Probably. But not for quite some time. The 'shirtfront' is one of the first things they got rid of in the nineties.
I remember watching Hocking giving away one in the 1st quarter in the 89GF which was one of the toughest GF's of all time. So hitting a player late was frowned on even back then

Rhyan Mansell looks on with interest.
This incident, whilst not the same, is where I think they’ll draw precedent from. Both players running at the ball, one braces for contact and the other couldn’t, given he didn’t see what’s coming.

This involved establishing If the type of contact was expected, was there a duty of care owed and could alternate action be taken.

Maynard, like Mansell, will not be able to establish Brayshaw should of expected the type of contact he received, that he didn’t owe a duty of care or he had no alternate action.

As much as I hate seeing guys rubbed out for actions that aren’t cowardly or deliberate, I just can’t see him getting off!!

That definitely wasn't reportable but was late and should of been a 50m penalty and that's it.

Much like Maynard's should of been a down field free and that's it.

Except when a player bumps high they take the responsibility of what comes next.

That is the entire discussion.

If you can think of one other choice Maynard had, he should be gone. If there was simply no other choice he is safe.

I think there is an obvious one which players do literally dozens of times every game. Use their hands to reduce the impact.

The idea Maynard simply couldnt do this to me is garbage.

Wasn't he wearing a helmet? It's almost like he was inviting a head contact!
My serious take on this ...
The case will become yet another protracted legal slugfest across the three AFL bodies that adjudicate these matters. What a massive waste of time and resources. The AFL must love the drama and attention it received because its ludicrous that this model is the streamlined and improved version of previous years!

The sections in the laws and regs of the game that cover reportable offenses need to be simplified. They list some things, but not other things. Every single footy action that has potential to lead to an injury should be listed and categorised as reportable or not. Give scenarios and examples to determine what is 'intentional' or 'careless' in each of those actions. Apply the penalty. No appeals. No circus.

Innocent? Opposition players go hard and deliberately high to tackle him knowing they won’t be penalised.
No they don't, they are engaging in legitimate football actions and Ginnivan isn't doing enough to avoid head high contact.

If I've learnt anything from some learned Collingwood supporters in this thread, it's that it's the player's fault when he cops repeated head high contact.

He certainly made no effort to protect himself, he knew Brayden was coming and also drifted into his path then didnt brace or put his hands out himself to push.

I don't buy this mentality that people have no responsibility to protect themselves in contact sports.
He was still landing from kicking the ball, lol.

I get going in to bat for your players—and I don't want Maynard to cop any sort of drastic penalty—but be realistic.

The AFL Players Association President said there is nothing to see here.

Just think about that. The complete lack of concern for concussion, and the devastating fall-out later in life.

Dangerfield is not just a smug w4nker, he's an incompetent fool.

3 weeks.

Well done lay the game then.

Or protect yourself when in collisions.

the copium from collingwood fans is pretty funny.

He clearly elected to bump and he had a reasonable other way to contest - by keeping his arms out and softening the hit. Which happens pretty much every other smother in the game that is front on (note players are told not to smother front on as its pretty dangerous, should come from the side)

Step away from the computer in your mums basement and;

• jump forward to an object with your arms up and out
  • see if your natural instinct isn’t to brace for contact rather than expose your sternum/ribs

This stuff happens in a split second. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a case to answer for but he certainly didn’t “elect to bump”.

You can’t have played a contact sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be his 5th, apparently. Doesn't change a single thing though.

When was he last concussed before this big hit? Recall a commentator saying it had been a while, like several years.

And yes you are right it doesn't change a thing.

The action was dangerous. And Maynard does throw his body at contests with little concern on his own safety. Some players just play this way. Beu Waters was another.

It will be interesting how the AFL see the action. Was it negligent and dangerous?

If it was a marking contest it's weeks. Front on contact, high, high impact.

But this was a smothering attempt. Does that really matter?

The question is was the action being negligent and dangerous?

Last edited:
Again, this idea that you've manufactured that a player who is attempting a smother has time to calculate and control his landing whilst still in mid air makes it quite blatant that you've never played the game in any capacity
He had time to move his hands from above his head to a brace so he definitely had time to decide what sort of contact he was going to make

He was still landing from kicking the ball, lol.

I get going in to bat for your players—and I don't want Maynard to cop any sort of drastic penalty—but be realistic.

I've been on the end of hits similar ( they were actually trying to bump me not smother) and was able to close up last second to make it a clash rather then be taken out.
He got one more step immediately before contact that was his moment.

He chose to jump so it's up to him to not bump someone in the head and knock them out of the game, it's that simple

Hilarious how so many here think that what ever happens after Maynard jumped isn't the responsibility of Maynard, given that jumping is a precursor to landing, and he landed by driving his shoulder into the head of an opponent.

Similar incident in League or Union and Maynard would've had an early shower. The head is sacrosanct in 2023. Any contact whether intentional or negligent should expect a few weeks out of the game.

What else could Maynard have done? Maybe not go from an open torso to having rolled his shoulder forward whilst bending at the waist to bring it down to Brayshaw’s face.

View attachment 1797194
View attachment 1797195

Spot on.

All these people saying 'he has no choice what happens mid air'.. pretty bloody obvious that he could of continued on as he was, which happens 99.9 percent of the time when someone tries to smother.

Viney was in the box seat, and you can see why he was pissed.

He had time to move his hands from above his head to a brace so he definitely had time to decide what sort of contact he was going to make

Lol! Should he have thrown in a somersault also and seen if he could get a score from the crowd?

What else did he have time for?

Step away from the computer in your mums basement and;

• jump forward to an object with your arms up and out
  • see if your natural instinct isn’t to brace for contact rather than expose your sternum/ribs

This stuff happens in a split second. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a case to answer for but he certainly didn’t “elect to bump”.

You can’t have played a contact sport.
Well the key is don't do the first dot point in the first place because it is stupid.

I think we are talking about Blanck not Maginness.

But Blanck kept his body low to avoid hitting Daicos high. His duty of care was to avoid hitting Daicos high. That is what the AFL has said players must do.

Maynard made zero effort to avoid hitting Brayshaw high.

Robbo, BT and Purple all say Maynard should be fine. That alone should be proof Maynard should go.

Yep it was Blanck. Maginness was the one who made him ineffectual with a bit of body.

Hilarious how so many here think that what ever happens after Maynard jumped isn't the responsibility of Maynard, given that jumping is a precursor to landing, and he landed by driving his shoulder into the head of an opponent.

Similar incident in League or Union and Maynard would've had an early shower. The head is sacrosanct in 2023. Any contact whether intentional or negligent should expect a few weeks out of the game.
Basketballers do it constantly trying to close out for a block. Never seen 1 put their shoulder into someone's head

Spot on.

All these people saying 'he has no choice what happens mid air'.. pretty bloody obvious that he could of continued on as he was, which happens 99.9 percent of the time when someone tries to smother.

Viney was in the box seat, and you can see why he was pissed.
Exactly. I've said that very thing several times.

If he did that, any resultant contact could have been legitimately argued as accidental, a result of a football action (smothering).

Back