MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly these WA and SA supporters complain about the death of their state comps and Vic bias but the fact is they deserted their state comps (which were untenable anyway) to join the VFL. And now they complain because the GF which has been at the MCG every year since 1898 with a few exceptions is going to continue for another 20 years beyond its current 20 year contract.

Was there ever a real choice?

Also there is a measurable advantage in playing home games as home ground advantage is a real thing

r225055_1295x864_3-2.png

r225057_1295x864_3-2.png

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19752486/footy-forensics-does-home-ground-advantage-exis

6 of the top 7 for biggest home ground advantage are interstate clubs and geelong (who have the best advantage in world sport despite what their supporters say)

oh and where are most of the MCG clubs down the bottom..... proving that the mcg isn't that much of an advantage

Mate, I'll happily let you play the AFL grand final in Tea Tree Gully if you'll allow North to add an extra million dollar superstar to it's player list over and above every other club. Silly comparison.

What's your point anyway? Do you think Port would have won the 2007 grand final if it was played at Football Park?
Mate, I'll happily let you play the AFL grand final in Tea Tree Gully if you'll allow North to add an extra million dollar superstar to it's player list over and above every other club. Silly comparison.

What's your point anyway? Do you think Port would have won the 2007 grand final if it was played at Football Park?
I dont get your argument. The AFL makes a decision that puts $ over fairness and we are all told to accept it. So why cant you accept all the other decisions the AFL has made, regardless of fairness?

And 2007 was a fair GF because Geelong earned it. Silly comparison. Try 2014 2015 2016 2017.

(who have the best advantage in world sport despite what their supporters say)

I'll admit our home ground is a great advantage, even though we've not come close to playing all our home games there of recent.

Are you willing to admit that playing the GF at your home ground as the lower ranked team was a massive advantage?

The other problem with moving the GF, lets say Perth or Adelaide had an 80-100k seat stadium and hosted the GF. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure their airports physically can't handle the sudden influx of people that come with hosting a GF. Perth especially struggles to get people out to get to the GF so think about the massive airport upgrades the state government would be forking out for

6 of the top 7 for biggest home ground advantage are interstate clubs and geelong (who have the best advantage in world sport despite what their supporters say)

oh and where are most of the MCG clubs down the bottom..... proving that the mcg isn't that much of an advantage

Except even last year there was about a 17% advantage to Richmond playing against Adelaide at the MCG. 17% is not a small figure.

I dont get your argument. The AFL makes a decision that puts $ over fairness and we are all told to accept it. So why cant you accept all the other decisions the AFL has made, regardless of fairness?

And 2007 was a fair GF because Geelong earned it. Silly comparison. Try 2014 2015 2016 2017.

Any issue relating to the grass they play a game of footy upon is so trivial as to not warrant any serious response.

Your comparison is absurd.

I support MCG grand finals because I am a traditionalist.

The other problem with moving the GF, lets say Perth or Adelaide had an 80-100k seat stadium and hosted the GF. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure their airports physically can't handle the sudden influx of people that come with hosting a GF. Perth especially struggles to get people out to get to the GF so think about the massive airport upgrades the state government would be forking out for
Your wrong.

Where did you think this sudden influx of people came from if not Adelaide Airport?

Also Adelaide Airport is currently expanding as is Perth.

Regardless of whether the MCG is the right place. Why sign such a long deal? What's to gain from it?

AFL has played this beautifully.

Increasing chatter about the unfairness of always playing the GF at the MCG.

Increased chatter about potentially moving the GF elsewhere.

Victorian state government start to get nervous.

Hey Gil, what can we do to keep the GF in Malbun?

Give us half a billion dollars to upgrade our stadiums.

Done. We'll also upgrade shitloads of suburban and country grounds for you too to make it look more "community" and not just helping the big guys.

Lol. Sure Mr Andrews. Ha ha ha. That was easy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also there is a measurable advantage in playing home games as home ground advantage is a real thing

r225055_1295x864_3-2.png

r225057_1295x864_3-2.png

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19752486/footy-forensics-does-home-ground-advantage-exis

ALso lets work out the stats for the 2013 Grand Final

Hawthorn vs Fremantle
Hawthorn - 75% win at home
Hawthorn - 60% win away

Fremantle - 65% win at home
Fremantle - 45% win away

So that means since the game was played at the MCG Hawthorn before even kicking the ball had a 35% advantage going into the game.

ITT: MCG tenants trying to justify recent premierships by pretending home ground advantage is a myth.

Until they play outside of Victoria where it once again becomes a rationalisation for regular losses.
Thank you for thinking of those poor Western Australians! The state would crumble if there was a grand final played there :rolleyes:

Any issue relating to the grass they play a game of footy upon is so trivial as to not warrant any serious response.

Your comparison is absurd.

I support MCG grand finals because I am a traditionalist.
Yep. You clearly know something about the impact of home ground advantage that the rest of the sporting world don't. Congratulations.

And those who are advantaged by history and "tradition" are always the ones most vocal in retaining it in its defence regardless of its relevance. Again congratulations for being on the right side of that.

Regardless of whether the MCG is the right place. Why sign such a long deal? What's to gain from it?

The AFL are happy to lock up a deal with the best venue in the country. Why isn't that a smart thing to do?

Yes agree

Sympathetic to the non Victorian states on this one

Yeah perhaps we were all fooled by just how good the non Vic sides were at the start of the century.

I thought 2015 was a clear example of the advantage, with West coast comfortably accounting for the Hawks in Perth. I understand you set yourself differently for a grand final but it cannot be ignored. Same goes for Richmond last year probably.

It is what it is, I think we'll just have to accept that Vic clubs will get more flags, but at times they will be less meritorious than non Vic ones.

The AFL are happy to lock up a deal with the best venue in the country. Why isn't that a smart thing to do?

I'm not saying that overall it's not a good deal, but I recon the AFL has much more leverage than the MCG.

Without the AFL, what would the MCG be? Cricket? A stadium that only goes over half capacity once every four years for the Ashes?

Hahaha time to light the batsignal

STPer18 MotleyLemon
I expected better Sterge, old boy

You're not really thinking about how it would work at all.
Fans wanted their teams to play in a national comp. In a perfect world, the vfl, SANFL and the WAFL would have combined to make a national comp. Why do you think non Vic supporters are still so bitter?
Your state league won. Ours died. And we're still being shafted.
So yeah, if I was a Vic, I'd be very happy about this decision. But as a non Vic, we don't really get any choice. We kind of have to support this bastard league we have no history in.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't your club formed specifically for the AFL and didn't come from the sanfl like Port.

Yep. You clearly know something about the impact of home ground advantage that the rest of the sporting world don't. Congratulations.

Interstate teams that have won grand finals on the MCG against Victorian clubs = 6

Interstate teams that have lost grand finals on the MCG to Victorian clubs = 6

What most of the Vic club supporters don't grasp is the effort involved for non victorian team supporters to have to go to to get to the GF to watch their team play. They have to pay through the nose for air fares, pay an absolute premium for accommodation, spend considerable time getting to and from Victoria. The Vic team supporters wake up on GF day, go about their daily routine and then head to the MCG on a train or by car, watch the game and head home..no flights, no ridiculously priced accommodation. That is a big advantage for club members every year now till 2057

Good post.

I think an interstate trip is fun to plan, but i feel especially for the Perth folk, driving is not an option for most, and the price hikes for flying are quite prohibitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back